RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 02:04 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=jclem;5090872]
Originally Posted by tazdevl
Call consumer affairs. Google it or look in manual. They don't have a way to send feedback via email.QUOTE]

Yes they do: https://lexus2.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...nduser/ask.php

If that link doesn't work, go to Lexus.com. Towards the bottom, find the 'Contact Lexus' button and click on Contact Info. Near the top of the page find and click on 'Email'
Thanks, looked and couldn't find anything.

In my experience phone call is taken more seriously regardless since each one is logged. Online feedback/email is easier to shuffle under the rug.

Funny though... I'm not sure why folks think the RS functionality is going change. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 01-19-10, 03:03 PM
Ludovic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I can fully understand the range issue, I don't really see the problem with the engine going off...

You just push a button and wait 1.5 seconds more. Ok, it consumes a little more fuel, but that's it, right? Am I missing something (just curious)?
Old 01-19-10, 08:17 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ludovic
While I can fully understand the range issue, I don't really see the problem with the engine going off...

You just push a button and wait 1.5 seconds more. Ok, it consumes a little more fuel, but that's it, right? Am I missing something (just curious)?
Nope, that's it. It's just kind of a pain.
Old 01-22-10, 07:00 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

My brother's 2010 Ford Escape works the same way. As soon as you open the door the car shuts off.
Old 01-27-10, 05:22 PM
chinpokomo
Driver School Candidate

The local Lexus dealership installed an aftermarket remote starter (AstroStart RSS-5224) into my 450h.

Pros
  • massive range (1-mile line-of-sight unobstructed)
  • vehicle does not shut off. after getting into the car, tap the brake and you're ready to go

Cons
  • have to carry a separate keyfob
  • the dealer was unable to program the astrostart remote to open the trunk
  • costs more than the factory RS (a separate key needs to be installed into the car)
Old 01-28-10, 05:51 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The 2010 Ford's also shut off when you open the door.
Old 09-29-10, 08:08 PM
clhug
Driver School Candidate

Slightly old thread here, but I just got my new RX 450h about a month ago, traded in an '06 400h for it. I have to say, I'm also disappointed in the remote start. A 30 ft range is totally useless. I need to be able to start it from my office. It kind of even negates the touch-entry system too. Being summer here (well, winding down now into fall, but still warm enough temps at this point), without the remote start to have it fully cooled off by the time I get to the car, I still use the remote to roll the windows down as I walk up to it to let it air out a little bit before I get into it (I did this all the time in my 400h too), so it's already unlocked by the time I get to it.

I didn't even have an option NOT to get the remote start. EVERY '10 RX (350 or 450h) that my local dealer gets has remote start. I feel kind of ripped off of the $500 or so that the option costs.

Side note, the fact that it shuts off when you touch the door doesn't bother me. It might be a bit annoying to have to start it again, but it doesn't affect the ability of the thing to cool off in the summer or warm up in the winter. But the lack of range on it makes that totally worthless (for most).

So I'm curious, has any one else had success in calling customer care and complaining about the remote start and getting either money back or a service credit?

I'd have gladly paid to upgrade to a better remote start system with the 1 mile range, but I refuse to carry two fobs. (I did not get the credit card key so that's not an option.) Lexus really needs to work with one of those 3rd party remote starter manufacturers to be able to integrate the Lexus security chip into the 3rd party remote starter. Like make it so you can pull the chip out of your original remote and transfer it to the 3rd party remote. Something.

One thought I had, I've heard that some 3rd party remote starters have a mobile app that can essentially start your car from anywhere. Now that Lexus has the Safety Connect feature, they ought to be able to make a mobile app or a web site, or both, that you can start your car from and it would send the signal back down the same cell signal that Safety Connect uses. As long as the car was in a location that it can get a signal for Safety Connect (which I think is probably most places), you could literally start your car from anywhere.
Old 09-29-10, 08:51 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

We have the Viper Smart Start on my wife's Nissan and will probably install one on my RX this fall.

Using our iPhones and iPads we can start the car from virtually anywhere. No additional key fob required. You get a notification on the iPhone/Pad the car received the command. That notification however does not guarantee car started. (Always started after a year of use)

Smart Start requires at a minimum of a basic Viper system install and the Smart Start module.

Also minimum fee to Viper for cel service.

Last edited by DunWkg; 09-29-10 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-30-10, 07:17 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I thought they were only getting $375 for it and cost was only $225. Looking in for one of the 1 mile units for my 2010 XLE Camry but the cost for that unit is $700.
Old 10-01-10, 09:04 PM
clhug
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info on Viper. I checked out their web site. Looks like about $700 or so installed, then $50 per year, or prepay 3 years for $99 for the annual service? That's not bad.

One big problem for me though. I need a Windows Mobile version of the smartphone app. I see no indication of one.
Old 10-09-10, 10:47 PM
Perfectionist
Driver School Candidate

Default Question for Buffalo area drivers

Hello all!

I moved to Canada from the US (on work) and just leased an RX 350 here. As noted earlier in the thread, the RS is not an optional feature here in Canada and I was thinking of driving down to Buffalo (since it's only an hour and a half from Toronto) to have this installed - the idea being, it would be dealer installed and would not jeopardize the warranty.

Can someone recommend a dealer in the Buffalo area? If you can point me in the direction of a good service manager, that would be great. I could pick up some winter tires while I'm there as well, as I'm sure it would be cheaper than buying them in Canada.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-10, 09:46 PM
clhug
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Perfectionist
Hello all!

I moved to Canada from the US (on work) and just leased an RX 350 here. As noted earlier in the thread, the RS is not an optional feature here in Canada and I was thinking of driving down to Buffalo (since it's only an hour and a half from Toronto) to have this installed - the idea being, it would be dealer installed and would not jeopardize the warranty.

Can someone recommend a dealer in the Buffalo area? If you can point me in the direction of a good service manager, that would be great. I could pick up some winter tires while I'm there as well, as I'm sure it would be cheaper than buying them in Canada.

Thanks!
Are you wanting the Lexus FACTORY remote start installed, or will you be looking for a better 3rd party remote start but just want the dealer to install it?

If you're looking for the Lexus FACTORY remote start, have you read all the complaints in this forum about it? I wouldn't bother.
Old 10-10-10, 09:48 PM
clhug
Driver School Candidate

That previous post got me to thinking, I hadn't thought about this before. If I do opt to get a better 3rd party (like the Viper) remote start installed in my brand new RX 450h, will having that installed invalidate any part of my warranty? That wouldn't be good either.
Old 10-11-10, 04:42 PM
Perfectionist
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking for the factory remote start. I'm not too fussed with the issue about range. As long as it can be started from the driveway, I'm good. Plus, I like the fact that the remote is integrated. As far as the car shutting off when the door is touched/opened etc, it really wouldn't bother me. I think it's a good idea -especially with the kids and dogs getting in. I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

Lexus dealers in Canada do not install these, and I was told that installing a 3rd party device would void the warranty. I find the Lexus dealers here to be very passive - unlike dealers I have dealt with back home. I called 2 or 3, and none of them wanted to take this on - even thought I said I'd get the RS kit from a US dealer. Long story short, I am thinking of making an appt. with a dealer across the border, having it installed and driving back.
Old 05-11-16, 05:52 AM
tdott
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How do I know if I have t he remote start feature in my new to me '10 RX?

I don't see a separate button on the remote.
I know I can probably read the manual I did skim through it before, just looking for a quick answer.

Quick Reply: Remote start question