RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX vs Mazda CX-7/CX-9?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-09, 07:04 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question RX vs Mazda CX-7/CX-9?

Do you think the new RX and the Mazda CX7 and 9 look very similar. I know Lexus is BY FAR superior, but the designs are very similar IMO...

Old 07-19-09, 07:28 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. I did think of this in April. When seeing it far away behind, it's a little hard for me to recognize its rear end... Not any more.

Well, in the past years, car makers in the world are doing the copy-cat-works. Lexus copied others', too.
Old 07-20-09, 06:30 AM
turbospecc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CX-9 drives like a much smaller car, definitely a driving-enthusiast's SUV, with a lot of space in it. Also starts at ~$30,000. Perhaps better competition to a more driver-focused SUV like the Q5.
Old 07-20-09, 06:58 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

In earlier time, ppl talked about Toyota Venza, which is similar to RX, too.
Old 07-20-09, 07:15 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
In earlier time, ppl talked about Toyota Venza, which is similar to RX, too.
The Venza is basically an Avalon unscaled to Sport/Ute category. The Consumer Reports pretty much trashed it as far as right car for the money and handling. Maybe in a year or two it will improve. They said the large wheels contributed to the bad handling. Sounds odd doesn't it, but... it is what it is.
Old 07-20-09, 08:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

CX-9 is not a bad vehicle at all. I had my first go at it when I was still in Mexico and it was one of the better non-luxury SUVs I have ever tested.

The CX-7 still suffers from turbo lag. I've tried it at altitude and at sea level.
Old 07-21-09, 09:25 AM
LexFather

I like both the CX-7 and 9 but I don't see the similarities. To Mazda's credit they look like Mazdas with those giant wheel arches and little lights.
Old 07-21-09, 10:11 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tested the Venza, Mazdas and Hyundais along with RX--my evaluation is the addl cost of the RX was well worth it but thats just one persons opinion.

The Hyundai had cheaper everything including I suspect mechanical specifications.

The Venza was slow, expensive and made a lot of engine noice compared to RX.

I just did not like the feel of the Mazda.

Of them all the Acura was the closest to the RX imo--and I thought briefly abt the new Caddy.

But the hybrid albeit more costly won us over --I think the mileage difference wil be a big deal in a couple of years.
Old 07-21-09, 05:25 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

To those experts, they won't see the similarity. They know each piece of the cars and it's common sense for them to figure out the difference

To those who don't care too much about the cars or not focus on the specific models, cars could look very much alike.

Some ppl still cannot differentiate from RX10 and its predecessor.
Old 07-22-09, 07:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Mazda CX is simply not in the same class as the RX. The RX has better build material, built quality and ride comfort. The CX does handle better, but if I were to buy a SUV for handling, which is dumb to start with, the CX would not be on the top of my list.
Old 07-22-09, 12:19 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

We drove all the above, plus the Q5, and the Murano. As you can see by the sig, the Murano won. I sincerely wish that Lexus had been a bit more 'daring' in their redesign, as there then might be a new RX sitting in the driveway. I have to agree, that the Mazda CX in not even close to the RX class, the interior is OK, but looks and feels 'cheap'. The Venza is louder, and very hard to find equipped to a level that would rival the RX (and the Murano). The Q5 just isn't available, and the Audi dealers are not willing to negotiate. We finally chose the Murano on the strength of all the reviews we read, the fact that the interior is straight out of the Infiniti class, and is beautiful, it can be had with all the goodies, and more, that one finds on the RX (exception being the HUD), and it cost us a whole lot less than a similarly set-up RX - besides I like the Murano in-your-face look, and dislike the new RX, and this from a Toyota/Lexus loyalist for well over 30 years.
Old 07-22-09, 01:09 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The murano as well as the whole Nissan line up has a love it or hate it design concept. That so call in your face look may proof to be too much for most people. Lexus has the right idea when it comes to designs, make a general design that most people will like instead of a radical design that will only please a few.
Old 07-22-09, 01:22 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
The murano as well as the whole Nissan line up has a love it or hate it design concept. That so call in your face look may proof to be too much for most people. Lexus has the right idea when it comes to designs, make a general design that most people will like instead of a radical design that will only please a few.
Well, I'd certainly say that Lexus took a big chance when they went from 1st to 2nd generation in the RX. Same can be said for Toyota with several of their vehicles (the RAV4 comes immediately to mind). Had they made a similar move with the 3rd gen, we might have been driving it now. I found the transition from 2nd generation to 3rd to be boring, ugly (my opinion - that front end had to have inspiration coming from Honda - blech!), and I'm not overly thrilled with the side views either. I'll give the interior it's kudos’s, looked well done, but I saw several niggling issues that indicates to me, that Lexus QC is slipping a bit. More than one piece of interior misaligned, and a few poorly installed pieces. This was not in just one RX but in several that we saw and drove. Like I said, I've been buying and driving Toyota's and Lexus for over 30 years now, and we still have our 06 GS, which we dearly love, but the new RX just left us cold, to us, it was very sterile, almost antiseptic.

I have to agree, the Nissan's in general, and the Murano in particular have a love-it/hate-it look, and we personally found the Murano appealing, many will not. Still, it's a well done makeover of their SUV and the interior is extremely well done as is the electronics suite.
Old 07-23-09, 05:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The 1st gen Murano was horrible, but I must admit, the latest version is not too bad. All the Nissan interiors are starting to look like the Infinity interiors, this cannot be good for the Infinity brand.
The latest RX design just goes to show you there is only so much one can do with this L-Finesse concept, Lexus really need a new direction in their designs.
As a long time Lexus owner myself, I too see their recent quality slipping. Who knows, maybe the next big value luxury brand will be Hyundai, much like what Lexus was 20 years ago.