RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Service intervals + ipod question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 06:56 AM
turbospecc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service intervals + ipod question

A few questions:

1. I assume service is not covered/pre-paid like BMW does for 4 years?

2. What are the service intervals for the 2010 RX350? Our 05 requires every 3mo or 3,000 miles, has Lexus bumped this up to a 12mo or 10,000 miles like Audi and BMW do?

3. Does the car come with full ipod integration (controlling the ipod from the radio controls), or is this a separate accessory one must buy?
Old 07-21-09, 07:47 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Nope. Usually Lexus provides 1k and 5k for free. Some dealers may add in additional services for customers, for example, 10k, 15k, etc. You should ask for them when negotiating your deal. IMO.

2. After 1k check-up, they're 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k, etc. If Lexus increase the size of filter and tank capacity (and other improvement), maybe or maybe not they can bump up to 8K-10K.

3. dunno.
Old 07-21-09, 08:40 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3. it's all built in.
Old 07-21-09, 11:00 AM
tsmith167
Rookie

Has anyone figured out how you can use bluetooth and not lose your spot when listening to audio books. I use an iphone and when I turn off the car it always loses the playback position. I have tried pausing through the nav screen, the iphone, and exiting the ipod on my iphone before turning off. All of these methods result in the audiobook starting over.
Old 07-21-09, 11:17 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by turbospecc
A few questions:

1. I assume service is not covered/pre-paid like BMW does for 4 years?

2. What are the service intervals for the 2010 RX350? Our 05 requires every 3mo or 3,000 miles, has Lexus bumped this up to a 12mo or 10,000 miles like Audi and BMW do?

3. Does the car come with full ipod integration (controlling the ipod from the radio controls), or is this a separate accessory one must buy?
Gas and Hybrid model are pretty much the same. Like someone said earlier the 1000 mile check and 5000 mile service are free from Lexus. The other 5k service periods are pretty much oil & filter, tire rotation, & visual check until the 60k service where they add suspension lube, cabin filter & such stuff. This is a new engine family and on the (h) model, everything is total electric or drive by wire (even throttle). I'm not sure about the 350 model. There are no belts at all, cams are chain driven and no adjustment or change schedule at all. If you are capable of rotating your own tires and changing oil & filters, you can pretty much make it a do it yourself service until 60k.
Old 07-23-09, 11:35 PM
Fitzgerald
Driver School Candidate

Default Strange

Over here three years/60k miles of service are included free.

However, strangely, the service interrval is 15k km (let's round to 10k miles) with no check or anything else before the first 15k, or 12 months.
Old 07-24-09, 06:05 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fitzgerald
Over here three years/60k miles of service are included free.

However, strangely, the service interrval is 15k km (let's round to 10k miles) with no check or anything else before the first 15k, or 12 months.
I guess when they don't do much, it's easier to give it away ???

Actually I don't see how they go that far. Are you talking about the 350 or the 450h or both?
Old 07-24-09, 06:39 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

What oil does the hybrid use--synthetic?
Old 07-24-09, 07:25 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hal56
What oil does the hybrid use--synthetic?
Hi Hal
Our dealer uses a blend 20w for the h model.
Old 07-24-09, 07:32 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tsmith167
Has anyone figured out how you can use bluetooth and not lose your spot when listening to audio books. I use an iphone and when I turn off the car it always loses the playback position. I have tried pausing through the nav screen, the iphone, and exiting the ipod on my iphone before turning off. All of these methods result in the audiobook starting over.
I just bought the classic iPod to carry music in the car and tried it out yesterday.
1. It goes back to the song that was playing when I restart. I haven't tried an audiobook yet but would guess it's the same. But you say it isn't ???

2. Like someone else previously posted, when you scroll through albums (several at a time on screen) after 3 for 4 screens it starts up the new album at top of the page. Maybe in time they will find a fix for this and offer a program update.

I suspect there's lots to learn here.
Old 07-24-09, 08:48 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Jim--that sounds like it works like the BMW interface.

will your IPOD play podcasts in the RX--BMW does not. (it would have been cool to play ipod movies on the nav screen)

also, in BMW if you want to go back within a track you have to take the ipod and use thumb wheel to go back.
Old 07-24-09, 10:03 AM
tsmith167
Rookie

It will go back to the audio book you were listening to, but the problem I have is when you turn off the RX, it will not save your spot on the iphone. For example if you are 15 minutes into a 40 minute chapter, it will go back to the beginning of the book or chapter. If i listen through the headphones and pause the book or close out of the ipod app, it will pick back up at the 15 minute mark when I start listening again.
Old 07-24-09, 08:40 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Jim--that sounds like it works like the BMW interface.

will your IPOD play podcasts in the RX--BMW does not. (it would have been cool to play ipod movies on the nav screen)

also, in BMW if you want to go back within a track you have to take the ipod and use thumb wheel to go back.
I'm not sure Hal. I took that one back to COSTCO today because it was having too many issues with my Symantec suite in the 'eject' mode. The gal on the phone with Apple was very good and tried many things to help but just didn't work w/o undoing it in COFIGSYS. Not my idea of a fix. She'd had that issue come up before but not with the iTouch. I bough a 16gig model and like it a lot better. I've not tried a podcast yet.
Old 07-24-09, 09:45 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Jim-I have a 80 gig classic and a 8 gig nano (when I run) --I had symantic and did not have synching problems and now I use panda without problems.

I also have the sat radio (in my BMW) and switch back and forth between IPOD and Sat radio.

I have 2 problems with ipod in car--1) cannot back up a track--have to go all the way back to beginning. 2) no podcast playing at all--I have everything from golf lessons to educational tracks on podcasts which I would like to listen to when driving.

the movies on ipod would be icing on the cake.

One reason I waited for the 2010 was the better ipod interface--better but not complete apparently
Old 07-25-09, 06:04 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Jim-I have a 80 gig classic and a 8 gig nano (when I run) --I had symantic and did not have synching problems and now I use panda without problems.

I also have the sat radio (in my BMW) and switch back and forth between IPOD and Sat radio.

I have 2 problems with ipod in car--1) cannot back up a track--have to go all the way back to beginning. 2) no podcast playing at all--I have everything from golf lessons to educational tracks on podcasts which I would like to listen to when driving.

the movies on ipod would be icing on the cake.

One reason I waited for the 2010 was the better ipod interface--better but not complete apparently
Last night I downloaded the new software with bluetooth for the iPod touch ($9.95 from itunes). I'll post again after I let you know how it works. I haven't tried movies yet in the NAV but I doubt that will work as I don't have the entertainment system.

I guess with this type of system, unless it's on a CD, we'll not be able to scan forward and back the way we like. Must be a digital interface thing.

Quick Reply: Service intervals + ipod question