RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How do I turn off seat-belt beep?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 04:30 PM
craysv1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It requires a visit to the shop because it uses the Lexus Techstream Diagnostic tester to change the setting.
Old 07-24-09, 06:50 AM
tfischer

Received 217 Likes on 161 Posts

Half a mile? I would not drive one block without a seatbelt. Every intersection, of any configuration, is an opportunity for someone to hit your car.
Old 07-24-09, 06:57 AM
BrownRB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rmgmag
This works for the second generation RX. Unsure if will work on 2010 RX

Seat belt chime

1. Turn the ignition switch on (without starting car)

2. Press the ODO/TRIP switch until the odometer displays "ODO"

3. Turn the ignition switch off

4. Turn the ignition switch on

5. Press ODO/TRIP switch immediately (within 6 seconds after turning the power switch ON) and hold it down for 10 seconds or more.

6. Continue holding the ODO/TRIP switch and fasten the front passenger's seat belt.

7. Check that the odometer displays either "b-on" or "b-off" (it will be "b-on")

8. Press the ODO/TRIP button to change the display to "b-off".

9. Turn the ignition switch off.

10. Turn the ignition switch on while depressing the brake pedal.

11. Check that no buzzer sounds when setting on the front passenger seat.
I did this last year on my 2008 and it worked.

Last edited by BrownRB; 07-24-09 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-24-09, 08:28 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by craysv1
It requires a visit to the shop because it uses the Lexus Techstream Diagnostic tester to change the setting.
^ i've never heard of this before. is this a new testing device?
Old 07-25-09, 05:46 AM
craysv1
Driver School Candidate

Not sure... I don't work there

It is, however, straight from the horse's mouth... i.e. an internal email.
Old 08-10-09, 07:09 PM
ObsidianRX
Driver School Candidate

So it looks like the old easter egg doesn't work on the 2010 models, has anyone officially disabled their seatbelt nag, I mean, buzzer through the dealer or otherwise?
Old 08-11-09, 03:07 PM
skoobz2001
Driver School Candidate

Are some of you people seriously so closed-minded as to actually NOT SEE situations where someone might not do up the belt and the nag would be annoying? And IF someone chooses never to wear their belt, unless they're sitting behind you in a collision and fly forward, how is it your business or does it affect you personally??

Yeesh. It's like the forum has a nag beep too.
Old 08-11-09, 03:45 PM
tfischer

Well for one, if the accident were all or even partly your fault, your passenger can file suit against you for injuries sustained, so you do have an interest in seeing that your passengers sustain fewer and less severe injuries.
Secondly, liability aside, every driver should be concerned about the safety of his passengers.
Thirdly, if the passenger is sitting behind you, the seat belt warning is not engaged anyway.
Finally, "someone" is singular, so your plural pronouns ("their" and "they") have a singular antecedent, making your second sentence almost nonsensical, and I just wanted to nag you about that.
And really finally, my recollection is that in my 2 different Lexus cars, if I drive off without the seat belt fastened, I get a mild chime for about 10 seconds at most, which then stops; this hardly rises to the level of "nag," and falls more appropriately, I think, into the category of "reminder."
Old 08-17-09, 10:46 AM
ObsidianRX
Driver School Candidate

Without commenting anymore on the unsolicited comments from the pro-nag crowd that approves of the loud, annoying, multi-stage reminder that kicks in before I can even get out of my driveway and continues indefinitely...

I nicely asked the SA at my local dealer to disable it, and the staff willingly did so without any problem or push back. I appreciate the constructive comments and feedback from members that can appreciate that I don't need to be incessantly and obnoxiously reminded to not be a dumbass.
Old 08-17-09, 11:59 AM
tfischer

Nicely played, Brother Obsidian. Would that all nags could be so readily dispatched.
Old 08-17-09, 01:07 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianRX
Without commenting anymore on the unsolicited comments from the pro-nag crowd that approves of the loud, annoying, multi-stage reminder that kicks in before I can even get out of my driveway and continues indefinitely...

I nicely asked the SA at my local dealer to disable it, and the staff willingly did so without any problem or push back. I appreciate the constructive comments and feedback from members that can appreciate that I don't need to be incessantly and obnoxiously reminded to not be a dumbass.
Of all the juicy things people have called me in my lifetime, I don't think 'NAG' is on the list yet so if you feel the need ...

I learned as a young driver before seatbelts (I'm that old), a sudden avoidance maneuver can throw you into the passenger seat (I was very lucky that day). When I got my 1st new car, a '68 Malibu belts were an option and I got them. I was an avid motor cycle rider and had 7 Honda's and a BMW touring bike. I never went down (on the road) but kept testing the theory I was invincible. After one afternoon in the North Ga mountains when I was convinced it wasn't my great handling machine or my good balance and skills or the good tires that saved me (I know who it was), I sold the bike and changed my ways. I wanted to keep all my riding memories along with the skin I was born with and my faculties instead of being in a wheel chair wishing I'd had a little more 'common sense'.

Now look what experience and more years gives to us, the smarts to drive a little slower so as to take advantage of the Hybrid economy and the smarts to wear a belt whenever the door shuts so we can be a drain on Medicare when we're 95 and telling stories of our younger days . So if this makes me a NAG, at least my insurance company won't ever deny me because I wasn't wearing my belt.

Last edited by Cruiter; 08-17-09 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-24-09, 08:09 PM
pulp
Rookie

without commenting on the debate, i just wanted to add that i had mine done today, dealer disabled the seat belts chime for free.

now only the lights on the dash light up but without the annoying chime.

i personally wear my seat belt, but there are definitely times when that chime is annoying, for example while at the beach on weekends.
Old 12-23-10, 12:48 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianRX
So it looks like the old easter egg doesn't work on the 2010 models, has anyone officially disabled their seatbelt nag, I mean, buzzer through the dealer or otherwise?
Tried this procedure several times on the 2010 RX-350 with no success. It worked on my 2008 IS 250. though.
Old 12-24-10, 12:24 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tfischer
...And really finally, my recollection is that in my 2 different Lexus cars, if I drive off without the seat belt fastened, I get a mild chime for about 10 seconds at most, which then stops; this hardly rises to the level of "nag," and falls more appropriately, I think into the category of "reminder."...
Your Lexi (lexuses?) are not updated to the current standards. The 3RX will beep at an increased and incessant rate if you continue to drive w/out the seat belt fastened. If it would mildly beep for 10 seconds and pause for a period before mildly beeping again (as a reminder), I don't think many folks would be trying to turn off this feature. On many Lexus models you can disable the seat belt beep as mentioned in prior posts, but it seems Lexus is cracking down on this on future models going forward. Its not unlike the Nav disclaimer, in the past you had to push an 'OK' button to get past the legal disclaimers to get the Nav to operate. After considerable Owner push-back, the disclaimers now automatically go away after about 5 seconds. In my opinion, car mfrs are getting a lil' too intrusive in their efforts to lower the bar of operating a car to the lowest common denominator. . .
Old 12-24-10, 08:40 PM
TR3XX
Pole Position

I was able to disable this on my 2006 IS but not on my 2011 RX.

Quick Reply: How do I turn off seat-belt beep?