RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How do I turn off seat-belt beep?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 08:18 AM
jmhoward
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer can disable it by hooking it up to the computer. The seatbelt light still comes on but no beeping. Nice for people like me with long driveways! Ask the service guy when you go in. They won't tell you over the phone that they can do it but trust me, they can!!
Old 01-04-11, 07:53 AM
tacomaboy
Driver School Candidate

The dealer cannot turn this off. We tried on our 2010 RX. I always wear my seat belt anyhow, but we had a reason we needed it turned off, and they can't do it. Its realllllly annoying.
Old 01-04-11, 08:33 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by tacomaboy
The dealer cannot turn this off. We tried on our 2010 RX. I always wear my seat belt anyhow, but we had a reason we needed it turned off, and they can't do it. Its realllllly annoying.
Fallacious. I had the dealer turn off the seat belt beep in the last 4 Lexus' we've owned.

07 RX350
08 IS250 AWD
10 RX350
11 IS350 AWD

You can absolutely turn off the beep. Some dealers won't. I have a very close relationship with mine.
Old 01-05-11, 08:40 AM
tacomaboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by panyo64
Fallacious. I had the dealer turn off the seat belt beep in the last 4 Lexus' we've owned.

07 RX350
08 IS250 AWD
10 RX350
11 IS350 AWD

You can absolutely turn off the beep. Some dealers won't. I have a very close relationship with mine.
Then our service manager at Lexus of Austin lied to us. We were adamant about having it turned off, and they were just as adamant in saying that it cannot be done on a 2010.
Old 01-05-11, 01:59 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tacomaboy
Then our service manager at Lexus of Austin lied to us. We were adamant about having it turned off, and they were just as adamant in saying that it cannot be done on a 2010.
I can only think of two things.
Are they willing to do it, or are too dumb to do it?
Old 01-05-11, 02:15 PM
tacomaboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wyau01
I can only think of two things.
Are they willing to do it, or are too dumb to do it?
Well, its in shop today to get the iPod scrolling fixed. Service manager said he was not sure if he could fix the ipod or stop the beeping but said he would try. I sent him the TSB number for the iPod... so we will see.
Old 01-06-11, 10:51 AM
tacomaboy
Driver School Candidate

Well, after I pleaded with them a *second* time, they were finally able to turn off the beep. Hooray!

Now for that iPod fix...
Old 01-06-11, 12:35 PM
bth1100xx
Driver School Candidate

Hi all. I'm new here with a recently purchased 2010 RX 350. I can also confirm that the seat belt audible alarm can be turned off at the dealer. For all of you asking why you would want to do this and stating that it's unsafe... The visual indicator is still there and those of us who have 900 foot long driveways really appreciate being able to cruise their driveways after getting their mail at speeds over 12 mph with their seatbelt off. Insist at the dealer for them to do it and they will.
Old 01-12-11, 11:15 AM
rchun08
Driver School Candidate

Yes this is awesome news. I always wear my seatbelt, but it got really annoying especially pulling out from the long driveway with a 1 year old who had just fallen asleep and then that beep comes on and wakes her! Calling my dealer today!
Old 01-21-11, 12:38 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64

07 RX350
08 IS250 AWD
10 RX350
11 IS350 AWD

I was told the same thing with our 2010 RX 350: that it cannot be turned off. I pushed pretty hard and the service managers have always been good, so I have a hard time believing that either they don't know or that they are lying.
Old 01-22-11, 09:25 AM
bth1100xx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fredw1
I was told the same thing with our 2010 RX 350: that it cannot be turned off. I pushed pretty hard and the service managers have always been good, so I have a hard time believing that either they don't know or that they are lying.
I promise it can be done - I have a 2010 RX that has had the chime turned off. When I first bought the vehicle in Oct 2010, I inquired about it because my previous vehicle - 2008 Rav4 - was able to have it turned off. The salesman talked to the service manager and he said it couldn't be done. A month after delivery, I had the RX in to have an offset steering wheel corrected. I complained to my service advisor about the chime and he said he wasn't sure if it could be turned off, but he would have the tech try. I also informed him that several people on Club Lexus said they had it done... When I picked up the vehicle, the service advisor told me they were able to turn off the seat belt chime and I can confirm for a fact it is turned off. I drive my long driveway everyday at nearly 20 mph without my seatbelt, as does my wife if she's in the passenger seat, with no chimes. Some dealers seem to be have to be pushed harder than others to do this...
Old 02-14-11, 02:55 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

They ALWAYS can be turned off. If they told you otherwise, they are lying to you!

The reason is that certain types of handicaped drivers can not use the standard seat belt, and the chime would ring forever for them. There has to be a way.

Very sorry to hear that lexus disabled the user method of disabling the seatbelt chime that worked so well in previous models. If I buy an newer model, you can insure that the sales contract will say that they will deliver it with the seatbelt chime disabled, or I will not buy it.

This is just toyota's insistance on telling you what to do, instead of embracing the freedom we enjoy in the USA and letting the owner decide what he wants to do.
Old 02-14-11, 06:23 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Which dealer?
Originally Posted by ObsidianRX
Without commenting anymore on the unsolicited comments from the pro-nag crowd that approves of the loud, annoying, multi-stage reminder that kicks in before I can even get out of my driveway and continues indefinitely...

I nicely asked the SA at my local dealer to disable it, and the staff willingly did so without any problem or push back. I appreciate the constructive comments and feedback from members that can appreciate that I don't need to be incessantly and obnoxiously reminded to not be a dumbass.
Old 02-14-11, 06:24 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Which dealer?
Originally Posted by pulp
without commenting on the debate, i just wanted to add that i had mine done today, dealer disabled the seat belts chime for free.

now only the lights on the dash light up but without the annoying chime.

i personally wear my seat belt, but there are definitely times when that chime is annoying, for example while at the beach on weekends.
Old 02-21-11, 08:00 AM
2008M3
Pit Crew

so people are stating that it CAN be done but no one is stating which dealer.

someone please state which dealer so I can get my 10K done and the chime turned off. I'm in the Los Angeles area.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: How do I turn off seat-belt beep?