RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Minor complaint

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 04:45 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Minor complaint

Before I state my complaint about the new generation RX, I want to tell everyone that my wife and I love pretty much everything about the RX450h. I have discovered one potential problem, however, that I imagine is also true for the RX350. There are only two parking sensors on the front (one each on the corners). There are no sensors in the middle. MY LS460L has 4 sensors on the front equally distributed. The obvious problem this causes on the RX is that if one is parking (going forward) and there is a narrow object (like a pole) in the middle where you are headed, the corner sensors will not detect it. This was really dumb for Lexus to do this. WHY? Are they trying to save a few $bucks? That is stupid in my opinion. Maybe there is a reason that I don't know about.
Old 07-23-09, 04:51 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW my 2IS is exactly how you describe.

While the two front sensors work well for the corners when backing up and turning you are correct that they do not aid in pulling forward unless your pulling up to another car, wall or fence. Over all I'm happy with it, but can completely understand that if you have sensors in the middle on your LS you would be missing them here.

Why did they do this? I have no idea
Old 07-23-09, 05:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats because you can see a pole in the front. The front sensors are mostly use for judging distance, not detecting objects.
Old 07-23-09, 06:15 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't use these. Sure they are very helpful but IMHO (totally just me), if someone can't park their cars properly, they don't know their car well and (I think) should not be allowed to drive. I know it sounds harsh but, really. I say this with all due respect, of course.

Then again. the sensors are really helpful for my wife, who can't judge the overall position of the car. I usually suggest to her that she practice parking in an empty lot then get out and check her bearings and use "markers" such as the window, winglet, etc in relation to the road/parking spot outside. Then do it again and again and again til she gets it perfectly. Same goes in our garage.
Old 07-23-09, 06:58 AM
pulp
Rookie

i was annoyed by this also as they can come in handy.

At first i thought that maybe they were not there because you can get the car with Radar Cruise control which would do the job of the middle sensors, but then i see there are other cars that have both Radar Cruise Control AND 4 front sensors, so i guess that's not the reason.
Old 07-23-09, 07:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DOUS
I really don't use these. Sure they are very helpful but IMHO (totally just me), if someone can't park their cars properly, they don't know their car well and (I think) should not be allowed to drive. I know it sounds harsh but, really. I say this with all due respect, of course.

Then again. the sensors are really helpful for my wife, who can't judge the overall position of the car. I usually suggest to her that she practice parking in an empty lot then get out and check her bearings and use "markers" such as the window, winglet, etc in relation to the road/parking spot outside. Then do it again and again and again til she gets it perfectly. Same goes in our garage.
So you are saying your wife should not be allow to drive?
Old 07-23-09, 07:36 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man

i saw that coming a mile away.

It's just my "out-of-this-world" opinion.. Obviously, in reality, it doesn't stop people from driving. I think you're smart enough to know what I mean.
Old 07-23-09, 08:00 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While we are at it, I just remembered one other little annoyance. Why aren't the garage door opener buttons and interior light buttons illuminated? I'll tell you what. It is rather difficult at times to touch the right button in the dark to open the garage door, etc. Lexus should know better than to try and cut corners on little things like this.

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 07-23-09 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-23-09, 09:47 AM
psu77
Rookie

You can buy some glow in the dark tape and put a small piece on the button
Old 07-23-09, 09:50 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
While we are at it, I just remembered one other little annoyance. Why aren't the garage door opener buttons and interior light buttons illuminated? I'll tell you what. It is rather difficult at times to touch the right button in the dark to open the garage door, etc. Lexus should know better than to try and cut corners on little things like this.
yes, i find that annoying as well. theres a very small LED light but doesn't really do much.
Old 07-23-09, 10:24 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats because you can see a pole in the front. The front sensors are mostly use for judging distance, not detecting objects.
that's besides the point. the LS and GS have 4 sensors, why doesn't the RX also have it? it's not like it costs a whole lot of money for lexus to implement this.

you know that all women shouldn't be allowed to drive! isn't there a saying about women drivers?

ok, i'm going to go hide now
Old 07-23-09, 12:28 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Do you really want Lexus to up the price of the RX for that extra 2 front sensor that you dont need?
Old 07-23-09, 12:51 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you really want Lexus to up the price of the RX for that extra 2 front sensor that you dont need?
we don't need it, but our wives certainly do!
Old 07-23-09, 12:58 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
I noticed that too and I'm not offering an excuse. But I made fun with it. Went to my crew member training. Any switch/button/toggle etc that you should be able to operate or was your responsibility, you should be able to find it 1st try in total blackout conditions if there was a power failure. The garage door button which is flush and hard to find in the dark was my 1st one to memorize. You'd be surprised how many times you had to reach the circuit breaker buttons in the dark back then. I've done this for years now, just habit that was drilled into me in the '60's. I'd be willing to bet that I can go right to any feature in reach now in total darkness (including those stupid buttons for ODO/gas cap/ and rear hatch that are terribly misplaced)

I bet by next model year (2011) they have LED back lighting for buttons that comes on with the headlamps. Just one of the things that's hard to plan for on first model run cars. I'm sure there will be more.

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-23-09 at 01:07 PM.