RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Taking care of your RX

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 12:05 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yanje03
found some info about lexol leather conditioner and says it not contain silicone, so i got confused.

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/det...4716867-1.html
The workshop I went to was in 1997 at the Homestead in Va, where they were hosting the national Rolls-Royce meet for that year. After attending the leather workshop I called Lexol myself and was told their product contains silicone. I went to this trouble because I had used the product for a while and had a case of it on hand. At that time I had twenty-one cars. I have no reason to believe Lexol has changed, as all my friends who are in the restoration business say to stay away from it.
Don't miss the point here; Lexol is not the only product that contains silicone. It is important to stay away from ANY product that contains silicone for the purpose we are discussing.

I get this feeling someone is playing a joke with this Lexol subject. No one could be as stupid as Yanje03 seems.
"IF" you are real Yanje03, I apologize in advance for calling you stupid.

Last edited by DNC; 07-30-09 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 04:24 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
The workshop I went to was in 1997 at the Homestead in Va, where they were hosting the national Rolls-Royce meet for that year. After attending the leather workshop I called Lexol myself and was told their product contains silicone. I went to this trouble because I had used the product for a while and had a case of it on hand. At that time I had twenty-one cars. I have no reason to believe Lexol has changed, as all my friends who are in the restoration business say to stay away from it.
Don't miss the point here; Lexol is not the only product that contains silicone. It is important to stay away from ANY product that contains silicone for the purpose we are discussing.

I get this feeling someone is playing a joke with this Lexol subject. No one could be as stupid as Yanje03 seems.
"IF" you are real Yanje03, I apologize in advance for calling you stupid.
Mr. DNC, dont be fool and I dont want to call you a lier. I just share you some info. Do you know how many type of silicone existing? Do you know which type silicone will damage leather? Do you know how many product line Lexol has and which line has silicone? do you know what type of leather your car use? It doesnt real matter they have some kind of silicone or not. Lexol is one of biggest company research/manufacture leather conditioner. Lexol isnt a new company either. What's the point for Lexol to put addictive which are going to damage leather for so many years, are they just stupid and want to stop their business? Thanks for your concern but lexol is still biggest leather conditioner company. What you said all just like what their competitor said. by some lucky If you might just join a lexol competitor host/sponsered seminor, I dont expect you could get none bias info.

btw many conditioner are going to overkill your leather if you are using them too offen. many people suggest twice/ year should be good enough. also better dont use them when your leather is too hot or cold.

Last edited by yanje03; 07-30-09 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 04:46 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by yanje03
Mr. DNC, dont be fool and I dont want to call you a lier. I just share you some info. Do you know how many type of silicone existing? Do you know which type silicone will damage leather? Do you know how many product line Lexol has and which line has silicone? do you know what type of leather your car use? It doesnt real matter they have some kind of silicone or not. Lexol is one of biggest company research/manufacture leather conditioner. Lexol isnt a new company either. What's the point for Lexol to put addictive which are going to damage leather for so many years, are they just stupid and want to stop their business? Thanks for your concern but lexol is still biggest leather conditioner company. What you said all just like what their competitor said. by some lucky If you might just join a lexol competitor host/sponsered seminor, I dont expect you could get none bias info.

btw many conditioner are going to overkill your leather if you are using them too offen. many people suggest twice/ year should be good enough. also better dont use them when your leather is too hot or cold.
Again, if you think Lexol is the best then you should use it, I did for several years. If you like Lexol you would LOVE the products I mentioned earlier by Leatherique. The Rejuvinator Oil works best with the car sitting in the sun with all windows rolled up. It can take several treatments to get the hides back to being soft. You follow Rejuvinator Oil with Prestine Clean. I do this once or twice a year with an application of Connolly Hide Food in between the other treatments.
You make a good point with asking about the kind of leather. I do believe Rejuvinator Oil used too often on Lexus hides would make them too soft. The Lexus hides are cut thin. In some of my old cars the hides are very thick and benefit from the treatment I described above. I only use Prestine Clean in my Lexus and it keeps the leather fresh and clean.
Let me close by saying I have no connection with Leatherique other than a customer. They also make very good, easy to use dyes.
Old 08-01-09, 04:15 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Thanks for the info guys here's my shopping list:
- Zaino and Zymol for wax (www.zainobrothers.com)
- 10" random orbiter
- Pristine clean and rejuvinator (www.leatherique.com)
- 303 rubber/vinyl cleaner
- maguire's tire dressing (Walmart)
- shamwow (?)
- sheepskin cleaning mitts (Walmart)

does this sound good? Where can I get the orbiter and 303? And are the other stuff OK to get from Walmart?

Thanks again!
Old 08-01-09, 04:16 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

by the way, is the 32oz Pristine Clean/Rejuvinator enough? I guess I could try it for now and see if I should get the 1 gallon containers.
Old 08-01-09, 09:21 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by DOUS
by the way, is the 32oz Pristine Clean/Rejuvinator enough? I guess I could try it for now and see if I should get the 1 gallon containers.
Go with the smaller amount. Over time it will even soften the bottles it comes. The 32oz size should be more than enough for many treatments.
Old 08-01-09, 09:28 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

does this sound good? Where can I get the orbiter and 303? And are the other stuff OK to get from Walmart?

Thanks again!
You might try this link for 303...
http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...fm?category=58

We haven't ordered it yet but maybe DNC can confirm this is the site. Got the orbiter from Harbor Freight or Sears...can't remember since it's been years. Heck, Walmart will probably have it too.
Old 08-01-09, 10:40 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by afpj

We haven't ordered it yet but maybe DNC can confirm this is the site. Got the orbiter from Harbor Freight or Sears...can't remember since it's been years. Heck, Walmart will probably have it too.
Walmart has a Kawasaki orbiter for $50. And a cordless armorall orbiter kit for about $60. I'll check to see what Sears have. What brand would you recommend?
Old 08-01-09, 11:46 PM
DNC
Advanced

Walmart has a Kawasaki orbiter for $50. And a cordless armorall orbiter kit for about $60. I'll check to see what Sears have. What brand would you recommend?
I have a Porter Cable I have owned for 15 years. Never a minutes trouble. A friend of mine owns a detail shop and tells me Flex is the best brand now. I used it and like the handle which is above the head of the buffer. It gives more control, unlike mine with the handle on the side.
The cordless technology isn't were it needs to be yet regarding buffers. Any buffer worth bringing home is going to cost $150-$250.
Old 08-01-09, 11:50 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by afpj

Yes, that is the site. Let me make it clear the only 303 product I have experience with is the 303 Aerospace Protectant. I use it on door gaskets and tires. It makes the tires look great without be shinny.
The last time I bought a gallon of it Ebay had the best price.
Old 08-02-09, 10:22 AM
codraw
Driver

Thanks for the info guys here's my shopping list:
- Zaino and Zymol for wax (www.zainobrothers.com)
- 10" random orbiter
- Pristine clean and rejuvinator (www.leatherique.com)
- 303 rubber/vinyl cleaner
- maguire's tire dressing (Walmart)
- shamwow (?)
- sheepskin cleaning mitts (Walmart)

Thanks again!
Before you place your order on ShamWow, pls goolge it with something like "shamwow scam", ...you will be surprised to find what they've said. Good luck.
Old 08-02-09, 12:39 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by codraw
Before you place your order on ShamWow, pls goolge it with something like "shamwow scam", ...you will be surprised to find what they've said. Good luck.
Codraw, I have heard the same you report. I don't have any experience to share.
Old 08-02-09, 12:43 PM
DNC
Advanced

DOUS, You can use 303 on the tires and not have to purchase another product. It is great on tires.
You seem to be getting really serious about this subject. You may enjoy visiting the detail forum at the link below. It's a great site.
http://autopia.org/
Old 08-05-09, 10:26 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

DNC, I've signed up at autopia. Good forum there.

I bought Zanio kit 1 already and will start applying as soon as I receive my Porter Cable 7424XP with Lake country pads.

I also ordered leatherique Rejuvinator and Pristine Clean but haven't received them yet.
Old 08-06-09, 01:02 PM
DNC
Advanced

DNC, I've signed up at autopia. Good forum there.

I bought Zanio kit 1 already and will start applying as soon as I receive my Porter Cable 7424XP with Lake country pads.

I also ordered leatherique Rejuvinator and Pristine Clean but haven't received them yet.
DOUS, I am glad you are enjoying the site. Those people are very helpful. I would not use the Rejuvinator Oil until your seats have actually had time to get dirty. I would use the Pristine Clean to do spot cleaning on occasion. When you do a complete process using both products be careful not to splash any on your carpet, I have had it cause oily spots on some carpets.

Quick Reply: Taking care of your RX