RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Taking care of your RX

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-09, 08:35 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any experience in purchasing from Detailed Image? I'm thinking of grabbing this from them.

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...P-65-Kit-P333/

Oh plus they have the 303 Aerospace there as well.
Old 08-10-09, 09:21 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

BUMP.

I'm about to order the Porter Cable 7424XP Starter Kit from Detailed Image and was wondering if anyone has experience purchasing from this vendor.

Here's the kit.

Also what would you suggest in terms of pads I need? Is the selection from the kit good enough for a beginner? Or should I order more of the other ones?
Old 08-10-09, 09:47 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg is one of our vendors if you didn't know . That kit is perfect for normal people. Just replace the yellow pad with another orange and pick up Menzerna IP/FPII and you will be set to work on Lexus paints. Its what I originally started with after all

btw, Greg/DI are great. I've melted at least 4 of the backing plates and broken my PC over the past year and they helped me through each time. They sent me replacements for free and helped direct me to a place that would repair my PC. You definitely can't go wrong with that CS
Old 08-10-09, 10:42 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Thanks, Isaac.

Now, I already have Zaino products that I ordered online. I just read that they don't recommend using an orbital as it wastes the product (Zaino is used very sparingly).

Wondering if I would really need this kit then.
Old 08-11-09, 05:52 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Actually it seems I have to get rid of any slight swirls before i even apply Zaino on my RX. So I guess I'm gonna need the orbiter.

i was also looking at Glimmer Glass Detailing who's another vendor here. Any experience with them?
Old 08-11-09, 10:57 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Haha, I thought you knew that . All of our detailing vendors are great people. I have not dealt with Chris yet but I know he is very knowledgeable and stuff based on other people's praises. You can't go wrong with Chris, Todd, Greg, and Phil
Old 08-11-09, 11:59 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Haha, I thought you knew that . All of our detailing vendors are great people. I have not dealt with Chris yet but I know he is very knowledgeable and stuff based on other people's praises. You can't go wrong with Chris, Todd, Greg, and Phil
Thanks Isaac

This seems very overwhelming for a noob like myself.

Some suggestions I got was to go with Meguiar's 105/205 combo or the Optimum Compaund 2 and Polish 2.

I already have Zaino products. I have Z-5PRO, which claims to remove swirls.

My obsidian 10RX is only a month old but has very minor swirls. I heard the Z-5 does not work as well for removing swirls for dark colors?

I will but the PCXP kit, but am contemplating if I should get Menzerna, Meguiar's or Optimum, or none of the above and apply Z-5PRO by hand.

I really need help.
Old 08-11-09, 08:47 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, if I remember correctly, my friend never touched the swirl remover from Zaino. Me and him both use Menzerna products but I've dealt with Meguiar's before. Both are excellent choices. As long as you get the right ones from either brand you'll be absolutely fine. Also, for Meguiars M105, you can apply that by hand if you really don't need a buffer. Its quite versatile
Old 08-11-09, 10:32 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

WOW!!!!!

I just used my Zaino products and WOWWW!!!!! The car looks amazing!

And this was just a trial run for me. Mind you, it took me almost all day. But I'll get quicker as I get used to the products and process.

I did everything by hand as I haven't ordered the PCXP yet. I may just need to use the PCXP when fixing swirls and scratches, but for now what I had worked for the very minor swirls.

Here's what I did:
- cleaned interior leather with rejuvinator oil. Let stand all day, while I detailed the exterior
- washed car with Dawny. Dry
- clayed using Z-18 clay bar and water/z-7 solution, buff dry
- z6 gloss enhancer, buff with cotton towel
- z2 PRO polish by hand, let stand
- treat leather with Pristine clean while curing z2
- buff off z2 PRO polish

WOW!! I'm really impressed with the results. I will post some pictures tomorrow when i have better lighting!
Old 08-11-09, 10:42 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUS
WOW!!!!!

I just used my Zaino products and WOWWW!!!!! The car looks amazing!

And this was just a trial run for me. Mind you, it took me almost all day. But I'll get quicker as I get used to the products and process.

I did everything by hand as I haven't ordered the PCXP yet. I may just need to use the PCXP when fixing swirls and scratches, but for now what I had worked for the very minor swirls.

Here's what I did:
- cleaned interior leather with rejuvinator oil. Let stand all day, while I detailed the exterior
- washed car with Dawny. Dry
- clayed using Z-18 clay bar and water/z-7 solution, buff dry
- z2 PRO polish by hand, let stand
- treat leather with Pristine clean while curing z2
- buff off z2 PRO polish

WOW!! I'm really impressed with the results. I will post some pictures tomorrow when i have better lighting!
congrats, looking forward to seeing your zaino polish! btw, where did you buy zaino here in canada?
Old 08-12-09, 07:06 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stormforge
congrats, looking forward to seeing your zaino polish! btw, where did you buy zaino here in canada?
I got the product here:
http://www.zainostore.ca/

I got the Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit-1.

The leatherique products works very well also.
Old 08-12-09, 07:10 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DOUS
Actually, I found some spots that I've missed last night, so I might just order the PCXP to do the buffing for next time.

Pictures coming up shortly.
Old 08-12-09, 07:42 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Zaino shine by noob

Old 08-12-09, 07:49 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Nice, especially when it reflects so much you can see a virtual mirror image of yourself taking the picture

DOUS, how often/how do you wash your RX? I'm trying to get a feeling about how soon swirls will appear. I believe you mentioned it was about a month when they starting. The color is awesome by the way. Obsidian is so bad!
Old 08-12-09, 09:03 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

that is really great dous! extremely clean!

Quick Reply: Taking care of your RX