RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Taking care of your RX

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 02:18 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DOUS, That is a very handsome RX.
Old 08-12-09, 04:28 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by DOUS
Actually, I found some spots that I've missed last night, so I might just order the PCXP to do the buffing for next time.

Pictures coming up shortly.
you created a new problem for yourself. it is so shiny that you may danger other drivers on the road so you may have to keep it inside the garage forever. actually you have to bring it out of the garage when you get your PCXP. than you will really never be able to drive your RX again
Old 08-12-09, 06:42 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks all!

hahah. That's funny sightdev! Actually that shine didnt last too long.. I drove it out today and it was dusty out close to my street due to construction, and to add insult to injury, there was a big rain cloud not far away and dumped a 30 second rain on my poor baby.. LOL.. She got dry and , though not as shiny as a mirror, still pretty clean, considering. Guess the polish helped sheet away the dirt.
Old 08-12-09, 07:29 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

obsidian is difficult to keep clean, i know. dous, you will be washing your car at least once per week.
Old 08-13-09, 08:06 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stormforge
obsidian is difficult to keep clean, i know. dous, you will be washing your car at least once per week.
Not sure that will happen often since I have small kids. I'm lucky my wife even let me take that time to detail the RX. It's good therapy though plus I enjoyed doing it. I used to just send out my cars to the detailing shop though but I like dong this once in a while for sure!
Old 08-15-09, 08:12 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Can you guys see the Ventureshield? It's not very obvious. I polished it but the installer said I couldn't wax it. Has anybody waxed over their clear bra?
Old 08-16-09, 04:16 AM
klegrow
Rookie

DOUS, do you need to do the Zaino system right away? I'm hoping where this is a Lexus they will do a nice wax before I pick it up.
Old 08-16-09, 04:18 AM
klegrow
Rookie

Also, anyone have any experience on how badly the Truffle Mica shows swirls???
Old 08-16-09, 06:23 AM
CMica
Driver School Candidate

my T mica baby is about 2 months old now, totally fine with swirls, minor issues can be taken care of with meguiar's scatch X 2.0. n a bit of polish, but some *** key-ed it..have to repaint it before winter..

I hate public parking lot..

Last edited by CMica; 08-16-09 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-16-09, 06:34 AM
CMica
Driver School Candidate

Can you guys see the Ventureshield? It's not very obvious. I polished it but the installer said I couldn't wax it. Has anybody waxed over their clear bra?
nice detail job, DOUS.

a thin line of V-Shield is noticed in the 2nd pic, about 3ft deep from the hood and fences, right? but the reflections are awesome~! probably becoz the polish..
Old 08-16-09, 12:13 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dous, what did you use on the tires and wheels? Looks good, man!

Sandi
Old 08-16-09, 08:13 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I also use Zaino with fantastic resutls. I don't know if you noticed the Z9 and Z10 (leather cleaner and leather conditioner) but I've had great success with those two on my leather. The Z10 actually smells like leather in a bottle.
Old 08-16-09, 09:16 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

yes you can wax the clear bra, and i did wax it late this afternoon. i got venture shield too. see the faq in the link below regarding waxing clear bra:

http://www.tintcentre.ca/vancouver/paint_protection.php

now having said that, i waxed only the entire hood and side mirrors. did not attempt to wax the bumper as it was all covered anyways, why would you need to wax it?

Last edited by Stormforge; 08-16-09 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 06:37 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by klegrow
DOUS, do you need to do the Zaino system right away? I'm hoping where this is a Lexus they will do a nice wax before I pick it up.
@klegrow: I suggest you do the Zaino, right away before swirls begin to develop as it's kind of like a coat rather than a wax. The thing is, the first time you use Zaino, you need to wash off everything on your car, including wax, so it doesn't matter if the dealer waxes it or not. They suggest using Original (blue) Dawn dish detergent to get wax/polish off then use the Zaino system. After this, you only need to use the Z-7 show car wash and polish to your heart's content.. Warning.. it's addictive.. LOL

Originally Posted by CMica
nice detail job, DOUS.

a thin line of V-Shield is noticed in the 2nd pic, about 3ft deep from the hood and fences, right? but the reflections are awesome~! probably becoz the polish..
Thanks, @CMica. Yes, you can make it out a bit in there. good eye.

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
Dous, what did you use on the tires and wheels? Looks good, man!

Sandi
@Sandi: I just use soapy water to clean the wheels and tires (Dawn, initially) then just buffed it off with a clean soft towel. I used a soft brush on the tires and a sheepskin mitt on the wheels. Then I dressed the tires with Meguiar's Tire spray. They stay nice and shiny for a long time, even after some rain.

Originally Posted by rcy
I also use Zaino with fantastic resutls. I don't know if you noticed the Z9 and Z10 (leather cleaner and leather conditioner) but I've had great success with those two on my leather. The Z10 actually smells like leather in a bottle.
Wow. I wasn't aware of that. Iuse Leatherique's Pristine Clean (every detail job) and Rejuvinator Oil (4x/year suggested). I like it as the Pristine Clean doesn't leave a greasy feel to the leather. And it's getting softer every time you use it. Warning: Addictive as well

Originally Posted by Stormforge
yes you can wax the clear bra, and i did wax it late this afternoon. i got venture shield too. see the faq in the link below regarding waxing clear bra:

http://www.tintcentre.ca/vancouver/paint_protection.php

now having said that, i waxed only the entire hood and side mirrors. did not attempt to wax the bumper as it was all covered anyways, why would you need to wax it?
@Stormforge: That's very interesting. I was told not to wax nor clay the film. Thanks for the info.

Did you clay over the film though?
Old 08-17-09, 09:27 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

@Stormforge: That's very interesting. I was told not to wax nor clay the film. Thanks for the info.

Did you clay over the film though?
no, i did not use clay bar. one suggestion: if you plan on waxing your clear bra, make sure that you are careful of the edges of the clear bra. my greatest fear is that when i'm using my 10" orbiter, that it would somehow make the clear bra peel off. for clear bra edges, i use a cloth towel to finish off the waxing process (just in case), and make sure not to rub against the edges, rubbing from inside to outside motion.

Quick Reply: Taking care of your RX