RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Taking care of your RX

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 09:58 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking care of your RX

I'm always afraid of scratching the paint and leaving swirls when washing the Rx especially with it's soft paint. Aside from the occasional detailing service, what products do you use to wash, buff, wax and wipe it with? Also what do you use to clean and treat the soft leather and other materials inside?
Old 07-27-09, 10:05 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DOUS, you got yours already? I probably missed your posts. Congrats.
Old 07-27-09, 11:05 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Originally Posted by DOUS
I'm always afraid of scratching the paint and leaving swirls when washing the Rx especially with it's soft paint. Aside from the occasional detailing service, what products do you use to wash, buff, wax and wipe it with? Also what do you use to clean and treat the soft leather and other materials inside?
Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 is what I just bought from amazon. that's not tranditional wax but coating. It could make darkcolor car real glass effect and suppose last longer than regular wax. I haven't used it yet. lexol 1015 leather conditioner spray for seat.
Old 07-27-09, 11:09 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i use zymol wax on my GS. buffing machine is a 10" random orbiter. for minor scratches, i use meguiar's scratch x. the best pic of my wax job, see this link below (second pic):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...thes-on-4.html
Old 07-27-09, 11:16 PM
yanje03
Rookie

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=58742

see that link, pretty sure that comes from coating instead of regular wax
Old 07-28-09, 12:16 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most scratching happens while washing. Use a wash bucket(s) with a grid at the bottom for separating dirt from the rest of your wash water. Also use a high quality wool mitt.
I would never use Lexol on anything, it contains silicone. In the long run it will cause damage and splitting. Prestine Clean is a great product made by Leatherique. It's all natural and will help your car's hides retain their suppleness.

Last edited by DNC; 07-28-09 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-28-09, 03:45 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUS
I always dump and refill the bucket after washing each section so I don't use dirty water. I also use two wash mitts per section and change them with the water. For wax, I like Ibiz. I apply it on the car semi-dry, let dry, hose off and then wash again to get off residual wax. It gives my Millenium Silver RX a nice shine, probably not as nice as other brands but I'm happy.
Old 07-28-09, 04:09 AM
LexFather

I strongly recommend reading our great detailing forum on here.
Old 07-28-09, 12:51 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
I would never use Lexol on anything, it contains silicone. In the long run it will cause damage and splitting. Prestine Clean is a great product made by Leatherique. It's all natural and will help your car's hides retain their suppleness.
DNC,

Have never used silicone for interior, but someone long ago told me to use it (silicone spray) for the rubber trim on door seals. Don't know why, or who, or when, but it stuck in my head. Is silicone bad for this purpose as well? I assume Prestine Clean will therefore work on rubber trim, although may be overkill? Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 07-28-09, 01:04 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Originally Posted by DNC
Most scratching happens while washing. Use a wash bucket(s) with a grid at the bottom for separating dirt from the rest of your wash water. Also use a high quality wool mitt.
never heard Lexol would damage leather. do you have any link to approve what you said ?
Old 07-28-09, 01:16 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by afpj
DNC,

Have never used silicone for interior, but someone long ago told me to use it (silicone spray) for the rubber trim on door seals. Don't know why, or who, or when, but it stuck in my head. Is silicone bad for this purpose as well? I assume Prestine Clean will therefore work on rubber trim, although may be overkill? Thanks for your suggestions.
I use 303 on the rubber trim/seals. There are other non silicone products out there but this is the one I have always used. You are right, I would not use Prestine Clean on seals. I think it would cause them to grow very soft. Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-09, 01:23 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by yanje03
never heard Lexol would damage leather. do you have any link to approve what you said ?
I got my information back during the 1990's when I attended a national Rolls-Royce club meet. One of the workshops I went to was given by a fellow who did million dollar restorations on cars. He said silicone was the worse thing you could put on anything you were trying to perserve. It prevents surfaces from being able to breathe, which over time and exposure leads to cracking. Lexol is nothing more than a high priced Armor All.
Old 07-28-09, 03:38 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried them all and I've been using Zaino for the last 5 years. Won't touch anything else. Check out other forums, you'll see the same thing.

www.zainobros.com

Last edited by tazdevl; 07-28-09 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-28-09, 04:03 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Originally Posted by DNC
I got my information back during the 1990's when I attended a national Rolls-Royce club meet. One of the workshops I went to was given by a fellow who did million dollar restorations on cars. He said silicone was the worse thing you could put on anything you were trying to perserve. It prevents surfaces from being able to breathe, which over time and exposure leads to cracking. Lexol is nothing more than a high priced Armor All.
First lexol is pretty cheap. only $8 on amazon. Second why leather need breath, you think the leather cell still alive? I dont know if the lexol including silicone or not but resist oxidizing isn't a bad things for me and most people who used lexol all said that's good.
Old 07-28-09, 07:51 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tazdevl
Tried them all and I've been using Zaino for the last 5 years. Won't touch anything else. Check out other forums, you'll see the same thing.

www.zainobros.com
Zaino and Zymol

Quick Reply: Taking care of your RX