RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What's sports SUV? newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 11:35 AM
yanje03
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's sports SUV? newbie question

I saw many people talking about which SUV is sports which not.
Can anyone give a define and spec.

Such as when noise > xxx db = sport SUV
Vibration > g on regular high way = sport SUV

or something like that.

Thanks
Old 07-31-09, 11:37 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first ones that come to mind are BMW X6 and Porsche Cayenne. I don't know about the noise though

Probably some old Land Rover would make a lot of noise... Not sporty though.

Btw tractors make probably the most noise especially if you drive with the windows open
Old 07-31-09, 11:56 AM
turbospecc
Driver School Candidate

You mean a Sports Sport Utility Vehicle?

There are no real definitions, as so many cross boundaries.. ie X6, ZDX, etc.

The RX certainly has the least amount of sport, but the most amount of luxury, out of pack.

BMW X6, Acura RDX/MDX, Infiniti FX, Porsche Cayenne, Audi Q5, Mazda CX-7/9, Forester XT are probably the sportiest SUVs out.

Last edited by turbospecc; 07-31-09 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-31-09, 12:09 PM
cheap_deal
Driver

x5, x6, cayenne only if equipped with the optional fancy suspension thingy as otherwise it handles just like any normal suv
Old 07-31-09, 03:48 PM
yanje03
Rookie

So far everyone still reply some brand/model is . I just wonder why you think it is. Any number spec could compare / or feature must be included to call it is sports type? otherwise I am going thinking sports type = more noise/high vibration when driving.
Old 07-31-09, 07:24 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

To me, I'll think the crossover can be entitled with "SPORT" wording if you feel driving it like driving the "sport-like" sedan. When driving "good" sedan, it's easy for you to turn, the body isn't leaning-out badly, you fell the center of gravity is low, well handling/controlling. When you can easily move your "tall" crossover like this type of sedan, IMHO, I call it's sporty.

I have to agree with others that RX isn't really the SUV due to the body roll and turn/move/suspension although I believe RX is quite easy and smooth on its handling.
Old 08-01-09, 10:49 AM
cheap_deal
Driver

sport suv is one that comes close to handling like a coupe/sedan. you will notice the difference between the non sport suv and sport ones only in the corners especially when you take a corner with some 'enthusiasm'
Old 08-01-09, 06:37 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Originally Posted by cheap_deal
sport suv is one that comes close to handling like a coupe/sedan. you will notice the difference between the non sport suv and sport ones only in the corners especially when you take a corner with some 'enthusiasm'
I believe most people think driving RX just like drive a Sedan. and competitor crit RX build on a Sedan plateform on ealier version. if your definition is correct RX should be a Sport SUV other than BMW XX.
Old 08-01-09, 06:53 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Only a few crossovers can allow me to take turns on the similar speed as the sedan, unfortunately, RX isn't one of them yet. But RX's handling is quite good and better than most of crossovers in the market.
Old 08-04-09, 12:19 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Sportiness to me means accelaration, handling, and steering feel. The RX is pretty good accelartion wise but lags behind the competition in the other 2 areas.
Old 08-04-09, 12:28 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Sportiness to me means accelaration, handling, and steering feel. The RX is pretty good accelartion wise but lags behind the competition in the other 2 areas.
you can always lower the RX with springs or coilovers to get better handling.
Old 08-04-09, 04:51 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lets assume what your definiation is correct, what's the spec on handling and steering feel? to many people handling and steering feel on its competitor's SUV isn't good.
Old 08-05-09, 05:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

You can measure slalom speed and skid pad test, but steering feel is subjective. Most people who likes sporty driving like some feedback from the steering wheel to let them know what the road and the car is doing. Lexus design their steering to do the opposite, they design it isolate the driver from the car and the road. Don’t get me wrong, some people wants it that way, but those are the people who want a comfortable ride, not a sporty one.
Old 08-05-09, 09:39 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

"Don’t get me wrong, some people wants it that way, but those are the people who want a comfortable ride, not a sporty one."

G Man, I am one of these people that love a comfortable ride and proud to admit it. However, that does not mean that I want a boat for a vehicle. I think the RX and LS give you the best of both worlds.
Old 08-05-09, 11:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
G Man, I am one of these people that love a comfortable ride and proud to admit it. However, that does not mean that I want a boat for a vehicle. I think the RX and LS give you the best of both worlds.
Even the best of the both world can mean a lot of different things to different people. As far as Luxury cars and SUVs are concerned, most people would consider Lexus to be more on the comfortable side than the sporty side. When I was cross shopping Lexus, MB, Infinity, BMW, and Audi last year, Lexus was the softest among them all. The sportiest being BMW and Infinity. MB and Audi was the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Quick Reply: What's sports SUV? newbie question