RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Waxing vs. Teflon Coating

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 07:37 AM
pmgrue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waxing vs. Teflon Coating

Hello all,

When I picked up my 450h yesterday, the dealer tried to sell me on a new coating where they cover both interior and exterior with a Teflon coating. I don't remember what it is called.
Apparently this eliminates the need to wax for at least five years. But at a cost of $475.

Is this treatment worthwhile? Anyone have any experience?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-09, 07:56 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by pmgrue
Hello all,

When I picked up my 450h yesterday, the dealer tried to sell me on a new coating where they cover both interior and exterior with a Teflon coating. I don't remember what it is called.
Apparently this eliminates the need to wax for at least five years. But at a cost of $475.

Thanks!
I had the exterior/interior coating put on my 04 330, "Ibex Environmental Paint Protection System (EPPS)" on the outside, and the "Ibex Interior Protection System Warranty (IPS)" on the inside. Honestly I forgot I did this when I picked it up back in September 03. Basically it says the car has to go back to the dealer when a panel or area is repaired or replaced to have EPPS touch-up application. IPS covers stains to all protected areas inside. I still wash and wax the RX religiously, year round. The shine is still there. Five years without waxing seems like a stretch for me.

Which dealer did you go to?
Old 08-02-09, 08:17 AM
pmgrue
Driver School Candidate

I went to Bobby Rahal Lexus in Mechanicsburg, PA.
Old 08-02-09, 08:38 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I went to Bobby Rahal Lexus in Mechanicsburg, PA.
I was asking because my dealer (Lexus of Bridgewater) gets lots of people from PA.

I think I paid around $300 for the protection. I figured it was worth it for a little more protection. Maybe you can negotiate them down a bit. But I'm not sure whether it's better with or without. My sales guy did comment two weeks ago that the paint on my nearly six-year old RX held up very well. But again, I wash inside and out every week (weather permitting of course) and wax at least three times a year. I haven't clayed at all. And no car washes The leather is still in very good shape with some wrinkling on the driver seat sides. I would ask the dealer what they use and see what you can find out. I should do the same since mine is coming in soon.

Good luck.
Old 08-02-09, 09:17 AM
rx10owner
Driver School Candidate

Save your $$$. It's a scam, and pure profit for the dealer. All so-called protective coats are basically wax jobs. If "teflon coating" was that good, the car makers would add it during the paint process.

Before my '10 RX, I've had BMWs and Audis and always rejected this "service". And, I've always had compliments on the finish several years down the road.

Here's a link to ponder:

http://www.prlog.org/10114706-consum...customers.html
Old 08-02-09, 12:57 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I was asking because my dealer (Lexus of Bridgewater) gets lots of people from PA.

I think I paid around $300 for the protection. I figured it was worth it for a little more protection. Maybe you can negotiate them down a bit. But I'm not sure whether it's better with or without. My sales guy did comment two weeks ago that the paint on my nearly six-year old RX held up very well. But again, I wash inside and out every week (weather permitting of course) and wax at least three times a year. I haven't clayed at all. And no car washes The leather is still in very good shape with some wrinkling on the driver seat sides. I would ask the dealer what they use and see what you can find out. I should do the same since mine is coming in soon.

Good luck.
Kitlz, I would be willing to bet no dealer applied protection process is going to do for a car what your careful ownership practices have done. The care you describe makes all the difference in the world. I suspect a six year old car owned by you would end up on the dealership's retail lot instead of in the wholesale line behind the dealership like most six year old cars.
Old 08-02-09, 02:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by rx10owner
Save your $$$. It's a scam, and pure profit for the dealer. All so-called protective coats are basically wax jobs. If "teflon coating" was that good, the car makers would add it during the paint process.

Before my '10 RX, I've had BMWs and Audis and always rejected this "service". And, I've always had compliments on the finish several years down the road.

Here's a link to ponder:

http://www.prlog.org/10114706-consum...customers.html
WOW! That article is scary But it's so hard to know what to do when we all want to keep our cars in the best condition possible

Now that I though about it some more, I have to agree with you. The protection is excessive and unnecessary. And even if there was a problem, Lexus would take care of it in their typical 'no problem' fashion. I'll pass when I pick up my 450h. Thanks for the input. Quick question then, when should I think about applying my first coat of wax/clean the leather?
Old 08-02-09, 02:27 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick question then, when should I think about applying my first coat of wax/clean the leather?
as soon as conveniently possible.
Old 08-02-09, 02:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

WOW! That article is scary But it's so hard to know what to do when we all want to keep our cars in the best condition possible

Now that I though about it some more, I have to agree with you. The protection is excessive and unnecessary. And even if there was a problem, Lexus would take care of it in their typical 'no problem' fashion. I'll pass when I pick up my 450h. Thanks for the input. Quick question then, when should I think about applying my first coat of wax/clean the leather?
Sorry, I should have called myself the **** RX owner - don't even have the car yet and I'm talking about waxing it already
Old 08-02-09, 02:31 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Stormforge
as soon as conveniently possible.
What about soft paint?
Old 08-02-09, 04:59 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello all,

Thanks!
I'd suggest you invest your money in a "clear bra" for the new RX.
Old 08-02-09, 05:09 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by 4482
I'd suggest you invest your money in a "clear bra" for the new RX.
I'm definitely getting one
Old 08-03-09, 03:51 PM
ObsidianRX
Driver School Candidate

Every dealer offers some variation of this, any claims of years are protection are absolute lies as anyone who knows car detailing can attest. Arguably the only thing about these protection packages that has value is the warranty, but the terms are so restrictive that all you're going to get if your paint ends up flawed is the dealer offering to attack your car with a buffer (which isn't something you want either).

You can get the same level of protection with a coat of Meguairs NXT or any of the specialty synthetic protectors at a cost of $20-30 and a couple hours to wash, dry, apply, and buff off. If you care about how your car looks, keep it away from automated washes use the money you would spend on the dealer packages on good products to hand wash or to pay a reputable detailer.

Last edited by ObsidianRX; 08-03-09 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-04-09, 06:13 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

I'm definitely getting one
Book it now and schedule it just in time for your RX's arrival. I booked my installation after I got the RX and had to wait 2 weeks before they can install it since they were all booked up. Needless to say the car developed a small chip on the hood before they can install the clear bra. They touched it up but it's still visible if you look really close. Lesson learned here.
Old 08-04-09, 07:48 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by DOUS
Book it now and schedule it just in time for your RX's arrival. I booked my installation after I got the RX and had to wait 2 weeks before they can install it since they were all booked up. Needless to say the car developed a small chip on the hood before they can install the clear bra. They touched it up but it's still visible if you look really close. Lesson learned here.
I won't pick it up until the clear bra is installed. The dealer will handle for me. I already told my sales guy I want the whole hood, not part, and the pillars done. No price yet. Sure, I will pay a little more but it's worth it. The roads are horrible this year

Quick Reply: Waxing vs. Teflon Coating