RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Frustrated with purchase process - looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 04:20 PM
jeffmaggie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only 2/1136 RX350 had Luxury package in computer

Wow, you hit a sensitive spot with me about the selection. I had great expectations of choosing from the options in the brochure, but when it came time to sit down and discuss options, only 2 out of 1136 vehicles on the computer (west of Colorado) were being made with the Luxury package and both of those were spoken for. I was told it would be a 4 month wait too. What a bunch of feces showing the premium Luxury in the brochures, TV, internet, radio, print media, only to bascically be told that they aren't available. I don't know about other people, but buying a car is a stressful experience and dragging it out over 4 months only seems to make it worse. So I didn't get the Luxury package, instead got the Comfort, Premium, and Nav. I will say this: Besides the lousy marketing and false advertising that suggests that the Luxury package is at the dealership waiting for you, the staff, salesman, and everyone else was top of the line, friendly, made me feel like a king and by the end, I felt like I was family with them. Maybe that's what they should be doing for 41K, but it was a great experience. BTW, I just got the Navigation Override kit from Prestigious Society and am having it installed tomorrow by a car stereo place. Name of the dealership where I had the best service was Magnessum Lexus of Fremont. Salesman was Gabe Hernandez.
Old 08-11-09, 04:55 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

the youngsters here will not recall but back in the 70's and into the 80's imports came equipped in 2/3 different ways. Really cut down on production costs and inventories--then the imports became americanized and offered selections .

the RX initially were built in 2 ways and that was posted somewhere here. But now even with them loosening up the vast majority come in 2 basic configs. I want a 450h but not with everything and the cars are just not coming in that way

but the good news is now i have been offered a loaded to the gills 450 with 2500 off sticker--still the things I do not want cost more so i figure I will wait til they get the color I want and then live with the extra options.
Old 08-11-09, 04:58 PM
jeffmaggie
Driver School Candidate

Default Only 2 out of 1136 RX350s had Luxury package in computer

Wow, you hit a sensitive spot with me about the selection. I had great expectations of choosing from the options in the brochure, but when it came time to sit down and discuss options, only 2 out of 1136 vehicles on the computer (west of Colorado) were being made with the Luxury package and both of those were spoken for. I was told it would be a 4 month wait too. What a bunch of feces showing the Luxury in the brochures, TV, internet, Lexus website, radio, print media, only to bascically be told that they aren't available. There should have been a disclaimer at the bottom saying that it would be a 4 month wait. I don't know about other people, but buying a car is a stressful experience and dragging it out over 4 months only seems to make it worse. So I didn't get the Luxury package, instead got the Comfort, Premium, and Nav. I will say this: Besides the lousy marketing and false advertising that suggests that the Luxury package is at the dealership waiting for you, the staff, salesman, and everyone else was top of the line, friendly, made me feel like a king and by the end, I felt like I was family with them. Maybe that's what they should be doing for 41K, but it was a great experience. BTW, I just got the Navigation Override kit from Prestigious Society and am having it installed tomorrow by a car stereo place. Name of the dealership where I had the best service was Magnessum Lexus of Fremont. Salesman was Gabe Hernandez.
Old 08-11-09, 05:29 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

here's food for thought: if you are looking to get fully loaded everything (and willing to pay for it), have you considered importing a canadian RX into the US? i know for a fact that dealerships up here get lots of fully loaded RX; if you want to order individual options, then of course this won't work. something to consider i guess.
Old 08-11-09, 05:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
here's food for thought: if you are looking to get fully loaded everything (and willing to pay for it), have you considered importing a canadian RX into the US? i know for a fact that dealerships up here get lots of fully loaded RX; if you want to order individual options, then of course this won't work. something to consider i guess.
But then we wouldn't be able to get Lexus Enform. Sorry I know that's a sore spot

You bring up an interesting proposition. I'll have to look into it. I will not be ordering my 450h until at least September. But I know getting exactly what I want is worth the wait. Lesson learned

turbospecc, it's a matter of little supply and lots of demand. It should get better by later this year. The 350 has been out for only a few months and the 450h has only been out for a month and a half. If you give it some more time and have a little patience, believe me you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-11-09, 05:50 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Hal56
but the good news is now i have been offered a loaded to the gills 450 with 2500 off sticker--still the things I do not want cost more so i figure I will wait til they get the color I want and then live with the extra options.
Hal56, congrats! I'd rather have more than less
Old 08-11-09, 06:16 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by kitlz
But then we wouldn't be able to get Lexus Enform. Sorry I know that's a sore spot

You bring up an interesting proposition. I'll have to look into it. I will not be ordering my 450h until at least September. But I know getting exactly what I want is worth the wait. Lesson learned

turbospecc, it's a matter of little supply and lots of demand. It should get better by later this year. The 350 has been out for only a few months and the 450h has only been out for a month and a half. If you give it some more time and have a little patience, believe me you won't be disappointed.
you guys can order your RX specifically to your tastes. we don't get that option up here in canada. it's either package A, B, or C. since you must have or want LED headlights, you have to get package C. that means you'll also get HUD, dynamic cruise control, ML audio, navi, rses, etc. but that means no sports package - that is only for the regular RX350. so the only way it makes sense for you to order a canadian version is if you are willing to get the all or nothing approach. something to think about. i'll post canadian prices and specs for the 450h in a minute.

edit: for those of you contemplating a canadian 450h, see this link for my post on pricing and packages. note prices are in CANADIAN dollars:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...invoice-2.html

Last edited by Stormforge; 08-11-09 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-11-09, 06:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

you guys can order your RX specifically to your tastes. we don't get that option up here in canada. it's either package A, B, or C. since you must have or want LED headlights, you have to get package C. that means you'll also get HUD, dynamic cruise control, ML audio, navi, rses, etc. but that means no sports package - that is only for the regular RX350. so the only way it makes sense for you to order a canadian version is if you are willing to get the all or nothing approach. something to think about. i'll post canadian prices and specs for the 450h in a minute.

edit: for those of you contemplating a canadian 450h, see this link for my post on pricing and packages. note prices are in CANADIAN dollars:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...invoice-2.html
I can see why you're holding off on the mods for now. Given the exchange rate, waiting four months here is a bargain. And the discount my dealer gives me, bonus

Thanks for the info. It helps put things in perspective
Old 08-11-09, 06:53 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

I can see why you're holding off on the mods for now. Given the exchange rate, waiting four months here is a bargain. And the discount my dealer gives me, bonus

Thanks for the info. It helps put things in perspective
yeah, no kidding why i'm holding off on mods. at least you guys can get discounts; up here max. discount is $500 (yes, you read that right). you don't want it, someone behind you will. that's how insane the demand for RX450h is right now.
Old 08-12-09, 05:53 AM
klegrow
Rookie

Wow stormforge!!! Big big difference. After calculating for the exchange rate, the two top models are almost $10k more expensive in Canada. That really surprises me since the RX is made in Canada! I just ordered a 2010 RX 450h with what is called the "Navigation Package" and the sticker was $52,190 (ultimately got it for $400 over invoice!). That is exactly the same as the Touring package up there. Its also suprising because it seems like the RX is more popular in Canada, but costs so much more.
Old 08-12-09, 06:00 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidjanko
I contacted Lexus directly and they were pretty clueless. I expressed my frustration with the fact that the car I want is clearly shown in advertisements and brochures yet no dealer has ever seen that car. Definitely not a good experience.

Yes, I realize that I can order the car. But I have yet to meet a salesperson (and I've spoken to lots of delaers) who seems to even remotely care about helping me do this.
Are you kidding me, I wait 12 months for the IS-F and 4 months for the LS600hL, that is just part and parcel of getting the car that you want with the options that you want. I would not have any way. All I can see here is unreasonable demands on your part and forgive my bluntness but are acting really like a baby. I have had nothing but the best service from lexus and I have had a few other "well" know brands.

Originally Posted by klegrow
Wow stormforge!!! Big big difference. After calculating for the exchange rate, the two top models are almost $10k more expensive in Canada. That really surprises me since the RX is made in Canada! I just ordered a 2010 RX 450h with what is called the "Navigation Package" and the sticker was $52,190 (ultimately got it for $400 over invoice!). That is exactly the same as the Touring package up there. Its also suprising because it seems like the RX is more popular in Canada, but costs so much more.
You like the exchange rate for Canada, in Japan the LS600 works to be $150K...
Old 08-12-09, 06:06 AM
klegrow
Rookie

I just figured it would be cheaper because the car is made in Canada. In the US, if a foreign car maker has the plant here, there is no tariff.
Old 08-12-09, 09:16 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by klegrow
I just figured it would be cheaper because the car is made in Canada. In the US, if a foreign car maker has the plant here, there is no tariff.
did you make sure to compare apples to apples? i have the fully loaded RX450h, which comes with adaptive cruise control, side view camera, navi, ML audio, led headlamps, PCS, rses, and a whole bunch of other stuff i can't remember. i don't know what the fully load US version has, but make sure it has the same options i have or it won't be a fair comparison.

i did a quick check several months ago, and the prices were cheaper in the US, but after conversion rate, made no sense for me to import a US model up to canada.
Old 08-12-09, 09:36 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

did you make sure to compare apples to apples? i have the fully loaded RX450h, which comes with adaptive cruise control, side view camera, navi, ML audio, led headlamps, PCS, rses, and a whole bunch of other stuff i can't remember. i don't know what the fully load US version has, but make sure it has the same options i have or it won't be a fair comparison.

i did a quick check several months ago, and the prices were cheaper in the US, but after conversion rate, made no sense for me to import a US model up to canada.
Stormforge, I did a quick calculation on what a fully loaded 450h would be here. This is with all the packages except Sport and the options you have that are not included in the packages. I came up with around $63,000, give or take.

I prefer what you get because the package contains more than we can get without having to special order. Too bad they aren't doing that here because it probably would have avoided this whole mess
Old 08-12-09, 09:49 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Stormforge, I did a quick calculation on what a fully loaded 450h would be here. This is with all the packages except Sport and the options you have that are not included in the packages. I came up with around $63,000, give or take.

I prefer what you get because the package contains more than we can get without having to special order. Too bad they aren't doing that here because it probably would have avoided this whole mess
yeah, USD $63K sounds about right. after custom duties, taxes, exchange rate, etc, it didn't make sense for me to import a US RX. if the Cdn dollar was on par with the US dollar or higher, that's a different story...

and that's why i mentioned it "might" make sense for US RX buyers to import a canadian model back into the US, but only if you are willing to pay for the premium (you get less wait time and package you choose gives you more bang for the buck, so to speak).

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
You like the exchange rate for Canada, in Japan the LS600 works to be $150K...
LS600h L in canada (with premium executive package) is Cdn $144,000 + taxes.

Last edited by Stormforge; 08-12-09 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Frustrated with purchase process - looking for help