RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Frustrated with purchase process - looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 09:52 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
yeah, USD $63K sounds about right. after custom duties, taxes, exchange rate, etc, it didn't make sense for me to import a US RX. if the Cdn dollar was on par with the US dollar or higher, that's a different story...

and that's why i mentioned it "might" make sense for US RX buyers to import a canadian model back into the US, but only if you are willing to pay for the premium (you get less wait time and package you choose gives you more bang for the buck, so to speak).
Thanks. I guess I'll find out when I special order next month. Any differences emissions-wise or other between US and Canada build? Also, is yours a Canadian build? I thought all 450hs were coming out of Japan.
Old 08-12-09, 10:00 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Thanks. I guess I'll find out when I special order next month. Any differences emissions-wise or other between US and Canada build? Also, is yours a Canadian build? I thought all 450hs were coming out of Japan.
you are correct, all 450h are built in japan emissions-wise, it should be the same - 450h is rated as SULEV i think?
Old 08-12-09, 04:33 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
LS600h L in canada (with premium executive package) is Cdn $144,000 + taxes.
I am talking US dollars, change that to Canadian and you are paying about $165K Canadian!
Old 08-12-09, 05:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I am talking US dollars, change that to Canadian and you are paying about $165K Canadian!
That's Stormforge's next car

Can someone please explain the big price disparity between US and Canada? I realize you are getting more loaded RXs than us. But geez, what gives?
Old 08-12-09, 05:31 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Can someone please explain the big price disparity between US and Canada? I realize you are getting more loaded RXs than us. But geez, what gives?
And while you are at, explain why the place that makes the cars is the most expensive? I will never understand the ecconomics of that, not that I care or anything.
Old 08-12-09, 05:56 PM
klegrow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I really can't explain it. I think the exchange rate is something like .919 right now, but the car costs about 18% more, so it's not just the exchange rate. It further perplexes me because the car is made in YOUR COUNTRY!
Old 08-12-09, 06:00 PM
klegrow
Rookie

Sorry....didn't notice the note about Japan. However, you would think they would still give you guys a break on the tariffs. Once they are making enough hybrids, they will undoubtedly start making them in Canada. Japanese companies always produce small quantities at home and then ship them overseas to save on the import costs.
Old 08-12-09, 07:56 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL! if i win the next jackpot, for sure i'll have a LS500h L in the garage!

good question about the price disparity. i wish i could give an answer that would make sense.

Originally Posted by klegrow
Sorry....didn't notice the note about Japan. However, you would think they would still give you guys a break on the tariffs. Once they are making enough hybrids, they will undoubtedly start making them in Canada. Japanese companies always produce small quantities at home and then ship them overseas to save on the import costs.
don't think so, hybrids will be made in japan (99% sure). for example the GS450h was first made in japan (for the 2007 model year), and still is. i believe the hybrid factory in japan produces vehicles differently (more QC), and is different than the other toyota factories. someone who knows, please chime in on this.

Last edited by Stormforge; 08-12-09 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-12-09, 09:11 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota seems to prefer to making those high-end vehicles in their homeland, and used to ship their 2nd/3rd tier productions lines to other countries. Check out Lexus production lines. Most of them are still made in Japan.

But, since the 1st quarter big loss and the new philosophy from the new boss, Toyoto does ever talk about making more cars outsides Japan.

Also, Hybrid plants are definitely different, the environment is much cleaner and special. Lots of video online will show you how they look and what they're doing.
Old 08-16-09, 02:35 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by davidjanko
A couple of weeks ago we decided that it was time to replace my wife's 2000 Nissan Xterra. We decided to evaluate several vehicles, including Lexus RX 350 & 450H, Acura MDX, Mercedes GLX 350, Buick Enclave CXL, and Hyundai Veracruz. I realize this is not necessarily an apples to apples comparison.

Prior to test driving any of these vehicles my wife had pretty much made up her mind that she wanted a Lexus. She was interested in test driving all of the cars but had heard so much about the Lexus experience, including the sales process, service, etc. that she really hoped the Lexus would prevail in our evaluation.

We decided to try Lexus last so that she could have a better view of all the vehicles. We were pleasantly surprised and impressed by the treatment we received at the other dealers. Getting the car we wanted (color, options, etc.) would not be a problem. And then we tried Lexus ...

Lexus for years has sold an experience that begins the minute you set foot on the lot. We got a copy of the RX brochure in advance of our visit and were really impressed with what we saw and looked forward to test driving the car. We wanted an RX 450h with luxury, comfort, rear-seat entertainment, and Mark Levinson sound. You know - all the things that are shown (or described) in the television, magazine, and radio advertisements, as well as prominently displayed in the brochure.

Much to our surprise we were told that we can't have any of this (except the comfort package) unless we special order a car and wait four months. Every dealer we tried (San Diego, Orange County, and LA County, including Longo) sang the same song - Lexus isn't building (and sending to the dealers) the cars they are advertising. My wife is to the point where she is ready to turn her back on Lexus - I overheard her the other day on the phone with Kearny Mesa Lexus saying, "Lexus has turned what should be an exciting, fun experience into a laborious chore that I don't think I want any part of."

What am I missing here? Have I grossly overestimated the Lexus brand? Why is Lexus not building the cars that they are advertising? I would greatly appreciate the perspective of those who know Lexus much better than I do. Are there any dealerships out there in Southern California that get the fully loaded RX, instead of what I am seeing (premium, partial comfort, and a mish-mash of other options but not the good stuff).

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I also had a ****ty time when buying from Lexus. It just seemed like it was so much more difficult that it had ever been with any other car I have ever owned. They treat the customers like crap when it comes to haggling and they will hose you if they find out you are a doctor ( big mistake)

They really took all of the fun out of getting a new car. I will be bitter for a while and I will always remember the negative experience I had at Arrowhead Lexus in Peoria AZ ( salesman Maurice)
Old 08-16-09, 03:44 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I also had a ****ty time when buying from Lexus. It just seemed like it was so much more difficult that it had ever been with any other car I have ever owned. They treat the customers like crap when it comes to haggling and they will hose you if they find out you are a doctor ( big mistake)

They really took all of the fun out of getting a new car. I will be bitter for a while and I will always remember the negative experience I had at Arrowhead Lexus in Peoria AZ ( salesman Maurice)
You want a tissue?
Old 08-16-09, 04:11 AM
klegrow
Rookie

I have to say my experience was pretty much the same Dave. I know once you have a Lexus, the service is great. However, the sales experience has probably been the worst I have ever had when buying a new car. I too found they didn't have any of the features I wanted unless special ordered and they looked at me like I had two heads when I didn't want to pay $500.00 under MSRP. After hours of haggling they were still really high. It wasn't until I walked out the door the manager rushed out and agreed to make the deal. Now I would say maybe this is just the dealer or the fact that the 450h just came out, but we had the same experience at a different dealer two years ago with my wife's RX08. Oddly enough, we had the same problems where we couldn't get the highly touted features and we also had to wait two weeks for the car to arrive. Is it just the stance of Lexus dealers that they don't keep anything on their lot?
Old 08-16-09, 06:19 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR

I am not sure what is the problem in AZ--I tried getting quotes via internet purchase--2 of the 4 Phoenix dealers responded asking for more info from me--then when I replied--they never followed up--

finally went in and found ONE dealer--and that might have been the salesman who actually cared and knew what he was doing.

Others had no idea of what the options were etc--but then again, thats no different than the us nameplate dealers.
Old 08-16-09, 03:23 PM
davidjanko
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks to all who replied ... here is what I did ...

I never did get the car that I really wanted - a fully loaded RX 450h. Why not? Three reasons: 1) they don't make them unless you special order, and the Sales Manager at Longo quoted me 4-6 months for the build I wanted; 2) a fully loaded 450h (or a 350 for that matter) is just not worth the money you would have to pay to get the special order; 3) the payback period (diff between 450h and like-equipped 350) was 10.3 years at $6.25/gallon for the entire period.

I bought the 350 from Lexus of Carlsbad. We got matador red mica w/ parchment - it looks beautiful and drives better.

2010 RX 350 with premium, comfort, nav, 12-speaker sound, 19" chrome wheels, bi-xenon headlamps, wood/leather steer/shift, cargo mat, wheel locks = $43,190

Less $4,500 for clunker (2000 Nissan Xterra SE)

Tax = $3390.19

Documentation = $55

Registration = $579

CA tire fee = $8.75

Less $25 trade-in (some paper-work thing)

Total = $42697.94
Old 08-16-09, 11:59 PM
LexFather

Let me please chime in.

1. Lexus reserarch(marketing) dictates what regions get what models based on previous and anticipated sales. Lexus dealers and Lexus HQ have a great relationship and understand that NO ONE wants a bunch of unsold vehicles on the lot. Lexus controls inventory very well. Unfortunately for those that want WHAT THEY WANT, its not that simple.
2. The RX has sold over 100,000 vehicles 4 our of the past 5 years UNTIL last year. Lexus dropped sales projections to 70k for the new model due to the economy BUT it might sell close to 90k plus this year. (so blame the forecasters) The RX is selling over 7k a month easy since it has debuted so it will beat targets. So in other words Lexus had to ramp up production to meet demand. Thus we are seeing fewer RXs on lots and the day on the lot average is very low.
3. If you want a custom ordered car, well you have to wait. This is with everyone. Many times dealers get orders for cars with odd option packages, then the buyer backs out, then they are stuck with an odd vehicle to sell. With the market the way it is (more people backing out, changing their mind) the dealers might be more hesitant to "order" a vehicle.
4. Lexus continues to be pretty stubborn with custom orders. It can upset people who want it "their way". However the Lexus way helps keep costs down. Its a two edged sword.
5. A lot of people have bought a Lexus from another state, another region. That might be something to try.

Quick Reply: Frustrated with purchase process - looking for help