RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Frustrated with purchase process - looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 05:04 AM
klegrow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1SICKLEX, I totally understand your points. However, what I was saying is that the same thing happened a year and a half ago when I purchased my wife's RX08 and that was midyear in production. They advertise the advanced features heavily in our market on regular network TV (where the ads are done by region), but they have no cars here with those features to sell. That is what is SOOOO frustrating. If you don't have the cars, then don't heavily advertise those options. I considered ordering, but the dealer basically said it would be just under MSRP. They don't negotiate on orders. So that left me F***ED.
Old 08-17-09, 05:44 AM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I also had a ****ty time when buying from Lexus. It just seemed like it was so much more difficult that it had ever been with any other car I have ever owned. They treat the customers like crap when it comes to haggling and they will hose you if they find out you are a doctor ( big mistake)

They really took all of the fun out of getting a new car. I will be bitter for a while and I will always remember the negative experience I had at Arrowhead Lexus in Peoria AZ ( salesman Maurice)
If you were so mistreated, why did you end up buying the Lexus? Why didn't you just walk away?

If the buyer has done his/her homework, there should be little hassle when making the deal. What I mean is:
  • Get dealer invoice prices on car and all options
  • Get 4 or more price quotes by phone/internet
  • Decide what you are willing to pay as profit for dealer
  • Calculate the "out the door" price (dealer invoice+dest. charge+dealer profit+dealer charges+tax+license

I you go in there knowing what you want, and don't get it, then walk away. It's as simple as that.

I realize that there are some shady salesmen out there, but it is really hard to believe that they would treat somebody differently just because of their profession. What I've seen is that they are equal-opportunity shady salesmen. They'll try to rip you off no matter who you are.
Old 08-17-09, 11:08 AM
turbospecc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ajs
If the buyer has done his/her homework, there should be little hassle when making the deal. What I mean is:
  • Get dealer invoice prices on car and all options
  • Get 4 or more price quotes by phone/internet
  • Decide what you are willing to pay as profit for dealer
  • Calculate the "out the door" price (dealer invoice+dest. charge+dealer profit+dealer charges+tax+license
Exactly... I don't understand how SO many car buyers do not understand this. It takes an extra 1-5 days to simply get an out-the-door quote from a few dealerships in the area, and then email that price to another dealership and have them start bidding for your sale. You are straightforward and tell them exactly what you are doing - seeing who can offer you the lowest price, and buying it from that guy. Many dealers won't negotiate if you have nothing to negotiate WITH. They know they WILL lose the sale if they cannot compete with ANOTHER dealership though.

Perhaps the informed few of us are able to get good deals since the vast majority of people just walk into a dealership and never look anywhere else.

Of course, if you are looking at a one-of-a-kind RX with the unique features, you are SOL
Old 08-17-09, 11:13 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

my last two cars have been in huge demand and low supply and then needed to be special ordered to boot--needless to say I did not get a great discount but still got discounts.

I bought a GM car in 07 and at the time I was able to check inventories on line--made a beeline to the dealer with the most inventory --almost met my price which was absurd to begin with. The only mistake was buying a GM product but I had the GM credit card with buckoos in credit.
Old 08-17-09, 06:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by klegrow
1SICKLEX, I totally understand your points. However, what I was saying is that the same thing happened a year and a half ago when I purchased my wife's RX08 and that was midyear in production. They advertise the advanced features heavily in our market on regular network TV (where the ads are done by region), but they have no cars here with those features to sell. That is what is SOOOO frustrating. If you don't have the cars, then don't heavily advertise those options. I considered ordering, but the dealer basically said it would be just under MSRP. They don't negotiate on orders. So that left me F***ED.
I feel you and I hope corporate is reading these threads.
Old 08-17-09, 07:20 PM
klegrow
Rookie

Well....I guess the third time is a charm! I basically had it with my dealer telling me "any day now" (for two weeks now) and decided to check one more dealer in the area. Low and behold, they had 10 of the cars I wanted two weeks ago when this began and still had three on the lot today. Despite the other dealer saying nobody had the car in all of New England. So, I cancelled the order with the second dealer, went to the dealer with the stock, and had a very pleasant buying experience. There was minimal haggling, got a great discount on the car, and it should be ready tomorrow night. A much better Lexus experience! Kudos to Herb Chambers Lexus of Sharon, MA!!!
Old 08-18-09, 07:02 AM
LexFather

Well....I guess the third time is a charm! I basically had it with my dealer telling me "any day now" (for two weeks now) and decided to check one more dealer in the area. Low and behold, they had 10 of the cars I wanted two weeks ago when this began and still had three on the lot today. Despite the other dealer saying nobody had the car in all of New England. So, I cancelled the order with the second dealer, went to the dealer with the stock, and had a very pleasant buying experience. There was minimal haggling, got a great discount on the car, and it should be ready tomorrow night. A much better Lexus experience! Kudos to Herb Chambers Lexus of Sharon, MA!!!
Congrats!!
Old 08-18-09, 02:30 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

I am getting calls coming out of the woodwork now for fully loaded 450s and 2500 off sticker--but I do not want to buy 6k extra in options to get a 2500 discount. (I do not see myself jumping in rear seat to see dvd--nor want hud or the passive driving control.

the middle end and lower end 450s (which ain't so lower end)--they are not dealing on those--not many in stock.
Old 08-18-09, 02:36 PM
klegrow
Rookie

Hal, are you sure they're including the HUD and the other extras in that? The RSES package normally is just that over the Nav. I know here the RSES was about $4k more and the Luxury Package (HUD, etc.) was another $5k all on it's own. Both are pretty much non-existant in New England.
Old 08-18-09, 02:59 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for you!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-09, 03:15 PM
klegrow
Rookie

One thing I was curious to ask everyone in the US....were there any problems ordering the Luxury Package? My dealer wouldn't even consider an order because 10 had come back rejected from Lexus. Basically they were saying their marketing research showed little to no interest for the package in New England, so they were not fulfilling the orders.
Old 08-18-09, 03:18 PM
DNC
Advanced

One thing I was curious to ask everyone in the US....were there any problems ordering the Luxury Package? My dealer wouldn't even consider an order because 10 had come back rejected from Lexus. Basically they were saying their marketing research showed little to no interest for the package in New England, so they were not fulfilling the orders.
We have one on order with the Luxury Package.
Old 08-18-09, 03:25 PM
klegrow
Rookie

When did you order it DNC? I'm just curious, because the dealer said he didn't hear back about the rejections until a month after the order was placed. I would say you are very lucky in your region. Apparently that completely controls what they ship and what they build now.
Old 08-18-09, 03:30 PM
DNC
Advanced

When did you order it DNC? I'm just curious, because the dealer said he didn't hear back about the rejections until a month after the order was placed. I would say you are very lucky in your region. Apparently that completely controls what they ship and what they build now.
About 2 months ago.
Old 08-18-09, 03:35 PM
klegrow
Rookie

Cool...so you should be getting it any day now?

Quick Reply: Frustrated with purchase process - looking for help