RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Frustrated with purchase process - looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 08:18 AM
davidjanko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated with purchase process - looking for help

A couple of weeks ago we decided that it was time to replace my wife's 2000 Nissan Xterra. We decided to evaluate several vehicles, including Lexus RX 350 & 450H, Acura MDX, Mercedes GLX 350, Buick Enclave CXL, and Hyundai Veracruz. I realize this is not necessarily an apples to apples comparison.

Prior to test driving any of these vehicles my wife had pretty much made up her mind that she wanted a Lexus. She was interested in test driving all of the cars but had heard so much about the Lexus experience, including the sales process, service, etc. that she really hoped the Lexus would prevail in our evaluation.

We decided to try Lexus last so that she could have a better view of all the vehicles. We were pleasantly surprised and impressed by the treatment we received at the other dealers. Getting the car we wanted (color, options, etc.) would not be a problem. And then we tried Lexus ...

Lexus for years has sold an experience that begins the minute you set foot on the lot. We got a copy of the RX brochure in advance of our visit and were really impressed with what we saw and looked forward to test driving the car. We wanted an RX 450h with luxury, comfort, rear-seat entertainment, and Mark Levinson sound. You know - all the things that are shown (or described) in the television, magazine, and radio advertisements, as well as prominently displayed in the brochure.

Much to our surprise we were told that we can't have any of this (except the comfort package) unless we special order a car and wait four months. Every dealer we tried (San Diego, Orange County, and LA County, including Longo) sang the same song - Lexus isn't building (and sending to the dealers) the cars they are advertising. My wife is to the point where she is ready to turn her back on Lexus - I overheard her the other day on the phone with Kearny Mesa Lexus saying, "Lexus has turned what should be an exciting, fun experience into a laborious chore that I don't think I want any part of."

What am I missing here? Have I grossly overestimated the Lexus brand? Why is Lexus not building the cars that they are advertising? I would greatly appreciate the perspective of those who know Lexus much better than I do. Are there any dealerships out there in Southern California that get the fully loaded RX, instead of what I am seeing (premium, partial comfort, and a mish-mash of other options but not the good stuff).

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 08-06-09, 08:39 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidjanko
A couple of weeks ago we decided that it was time to replace my wife's 2000 Nissan Xterra. We decided to evaluate several vehicles, including Lexus RX 350 & 450H, Acura MDX, Mercedes GLX 350, Buick Enclave CXL, and Hyundai Veracruz. I realize this is not necessarily an apples to apples comparison.

Prior to test driving any of these vehicles my wife had pretty much made up her mind that she wanted a Lexus. She was interested in test driving all of the cars but had heard so much about the Lexus experience, including the sales process, service, etc. that she really hoped the Lexus would prevail in our evaluation.

We decided to try Lexus last so that she could have a better view of all the vehicles. We were pleasantly surprised and impressed by the treatment we received at the other dealers. Getting the car we wanted (color, options, etc.) would not be a problem. And then we tried Lexus ...

Lexus for years has sold an experience that begins the minute you set foot on the lot. We got a copy of the RX brochure in advance of our visit and were really impressed with what we saw and looked forward to test driving the car. We wanted an RX 450h with luxury, comfort, rear-seat entertainment, and Mark Levinson sound. You know - all the things that are shown (or described) in the television, magazine, and radio advertisements, as well as prominently displayed in the brochure.

Much to our surprise we were told that we can't have any of this (except the comfort package) unless we special order a car and wait four months. Every dealer we tried (San Diego, Orange County, and LA County, including Longo) sang the same song - Lexus isn't building (and sending to the dealers) the cars they are advertising. My wife is to the point where she is ready to turn her back on Lexus - I overheard her the other day on the phone with Kearny Mesa Lexus saying, "Lexus has turned what should be an exciting, fun experience into a laborious chore that I don't think I want any part of."

What am I missing here? Have I grossly overestimated the Lexus brand? Why is Lexus not building the cars that they are advertising? I would greatly appreciate the perspective of those who know Lexus much better than I do. Are there any dealerships out there in Southern California that get the fully loaded RX, instead of what I am seeing (premium, partial comfort, and a mish-mash of other options but not the good stuff).

I don't know for sure why Lexus does not build the fully loaded vehicles and make them readily available to all dealers. Probably some of this has to do with climate (cold and snowy winters, etc.) in various parts of the country. Perhaps they are trying cut costs by not over supplying. But if you or your wife really want a fully loaded RX450h, it is worth the wait. We special ordered ours (RX450h) in early March (order accepted late March) and it arrived exactly the way we ordered it in very late June. Again, it was worth the wait.
Old 08-06-09, 08:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

1st of all, the secret is out on Lexus customer service, many other name brands are trying to match their customer service. Some are very close but for the most part, Lexus is generally still considered the best on average.

As far as options are concerned, Lexus is a strange animal. They send certain region in the country 2 or 3 option packages and that it. It sure limited a lot of choices when it comes to getting the exact option you want. To minimize your confusion and frustration, you can go to Lexus.com and build your own RX section. Enter your zip code and it will give you the option packages that are offer in your region. Many buyers have gone outside of their region to get the exact option they want.

Good Luck
Old 08-06-09, 08:45 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Much have to do with demographic. Some features that are packaged can't be delete/add or will have to combine packages together. For example, luxury package can’t be combined with sports package. Another example is navigation package can’t be combine with entertainment package as navigation “overlap” and few other items and packages overlap so they can’t be combine. Many users here had same frustration but some may even succeeded after repeated try getting only the option/package by special ordering and negotiating with dealer to remove/add. I have what is defined as most popular RX [AWD//pre/com/nav] with other bits like the wood, tow options. If you can wait few months, you should order one directly from the Lexus website which will reference to your local dealer but will have the option of picking only the options/feature you like and haggle with dealer to add/remove certain features/items.
Old 08-06-09, 08:49 AM
turbospecc
Driver School Candidate

This seems to be the case in the midwest; Lexus is building most of it's cars to be in the $47k range with Premium, Comfort, Nav, Towing Package, and Park Assist. There was one vehicle in the northern Midwest that had the above options plus the Luxury package; did not see any with HUD, Mark Levinson, or Sports package - was also told you must order.

Luckily for us, we didn't really need any of the additional options, and when shopping for a model that all the dealerships have it was relatively pain-free to find the color and negotiate a price we were happy with.

I do understand your frustration; it is extremely annoying to not be able to even have the ability to option out a vehicle on lexus.com; no where could I find the price of a vehicle with HUD or Sports package, all that was available was a "commonly identified vehicle in my area". While helpful to less-intelligent car shoppers, this is a huge turn-off for those who know what they want.

My advice is to just go ahead and order it- no sense in buying an expensive luxury vehicle and not having it perfect. Even in the small event you find a vehicle in the west with the options you want, there's no telling if it will be have the exterior and interior colors you want.
Old 08-06-09, 11:46 AM
davidjanko
Driver School Candidate

Default This has been very frustrating ...

I contacted Lexus directly and they were pretty clueless. I expressed my frustration with the fact that the car I want is clearly shown in advertisements and brochures yet no dealer has ever seen that car. Definitely not a good experience.

Yes, I realize that I can order the car. But I have yet to meet a salesperson (and I've spoken to lots of delaers) who seems to even remotely care about helping me do this.
Old 08-06-09, 01:17 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My parents and grandparents always ordered their cars and I ordered my first car, a 1981 Buick Riveria. We always had to wait 8-12 weeks for the car. We are now waiting on an order we have placed for a new RX. If you don't like the wait you are going to have to settle for what's on the lot or go buy a Mercedes. I think Lexus is trying to practice some gate keeping.
Old 08-06-09, 01:44 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

This will help you https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4582011-post1.html . The 450h is a new model and constitutes a small part of the RX production. Plus it's built only in one plant in Japan. They knew going in that available dealer inventory would be very limited so they had to make an educated guess as to what the most popular packages would be for different regions and countries.

Most folks like me compromised and accepted one of those packages if the color was right (I got the 1st one in the Atlanta Ga area) as it was close enough to what I wanted and I didn't want my 03 RX to devalue any more over a possible 3 mo build time. If I had more time I'd have ordered. But you just have to understand that when it's this new and limited you won't have every combination readily available on the showroom floor.

An advantage is it's not sold like other cars with huge stockpiles. And your resale a few years from now will reflect that as well.
Old 08-06-09, 01:46 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
Much have to do with demographic. Some features that are packaged can't be delete/add or will have to combine packages together. For example, luxury package can’t be combined with sports package. Another example is navigation package can’t be combine with entertainment package as navigation “overlap” and few other items and packages overlap so they can’t be combine. Many users here had same frustration but some may even succeeded after repeated try getting only the option/package by special ordering and negotiating with dealer to remove/add. I have what is defined as most popular RX [AWD//pre/com/nav] with other bits like the wood, tow options. If you can wait few months, you should order one directly from the Lexus website which will reference to your local dealer but will have the option of picking only the options/feature you like and haggle with dealer to add/remove certain features/items.
yup, i agree, demographics plays a large role in what you can or can't get. up here in vancouver, my lexus dealer shipped in ten fully loaded RX450h, 80% have been presold already. if the average customer demands top of the line everything (like it is up here), the cars that come in are loaded to the hilt. try to get a base RX350, and it becomes more difficult (the opposite of what you guys are experiencing!).

to OP: be patient and find a salesman that can help you order exactly what you want. like turbospecc said, get it exactly the way you want it, no and if or buts. guaranteed you will be satisfied with the wait. on a side note, if no lexus dealerships are capable of getting what you want, you can always go to a reputable auto broker. they can help you source and order your lexus to your exact specifications. good luck!
Old 08-06-09, 01:53 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

When you custom order a car, specifically a well equipped one. You will have to order it. They have more options and packages in the New RX vs the previous model. BMW has been doing this for years, go to BMW and try to specify a color, options etc and I bet you would have to order it also.

The 450h just came out so until the hype dies off you're going to have to wait for one as other customers have pre-ordered a long time ago. I wouldn't just hold that as a bad Lexus experience. Like others have said, it will be worth the wait.
Old 08-06-09, 02:00 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Here is a simple anwser. What you required isn't in high demand by Lexus and region dealer forecast. They wont want to build lots of full load cars because less people want to buy them. If they did that they will have an inventory problem. Lexus will make more profit if you buy more options. they defintely like to sell you a car with full load but most people try to avoid small features which are going cost a lots of money. Beside that lexus real dont have much inventory on Hybrid.
Old 08-06-09, 04:32 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

The whole ad strategies are the jokes... lots of unreal stories... at least for N.A. market. It's all Lexus N.A. problems.

However, we have to agree Lexus has the good sales so far, these fantasy ads are really catching ppl's eyes.
Old 08-06-09, 09:59 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Davidjanko:

I don't have time right now to post a long post in support of your frustrations - I'm about to walk out the door. What I *can* say is that I also wanted an option (the Sport Package) that was in the brochure, and there was not a SINGLE ONE IN CA when I wanted to test drive.

I was able to find a CA dealer willing to special order my configuration, did not require a downpayment, and is fully OK with me NOT buying the car if the test drive is not acceptable. Order timeline (if you place it before the 21st of the month, when all orders are submitted) take ~ 3 months for a special order from Japan (which is where the hybrids and non-hybrids with Sports Packages are shipped from). It might be faster if it's a non-hybrid RX350, built in Canada.

This is Lexus of Pleasanton, in Northern CA. My salesman is Darren Mickaelson. Tell him Sandi sent you. darren.mickaels@hendricksauto.com

Sandi
Old 08-10-09, 10:15 AM
mnlexus
Driver School Candidate

This is my second RX and the experience hasn't changed from my 07 buying experience. Back then to get ML you had to get all the DVD crap with it. Now I wanted the HUD but it too was rare, or only available with the loaded out model.

I got the typical midwest 47k build and am fairly happy with it.

I heard the first 2010s came in packaged like the web site will build them. Now they are not (the web site should be changed or scrapped as it really gives you no clue what the real buying experience is for the RX)

As for service.. hands down worse this time than last time. Could just be my local dealer. While I like the 2010 RX quite a bit I really did my best to try find something else - I just couldnt' find anything that leased with the same value. Hopefully next time around.

I'm not a repeat customer out of loyalty... it was more value. The closest other option was an Audi Q5 that was about the same but leased for $300 more a month. Seriously?

But I digress....
Old 08-10-09, 12:05 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mnlexus
This is my second RX and the experience hasn't changed from my 07 buying experience. Back then to get ML you had to get all the DVD crap with it. Now I wanted the HUD but it too was rare, or only available with the loaded out model.

I got the typical midwest 47k build and am fairly happy with it.

I heard the first 2010s came in packaged like the web site will build them. Now they are not (the web site should be changed or scrapped as it really gives you no clue what the real buying experience is for the RX)

As for service.. hands down worse this time than last time. Could just be my local dealer. While I like the 2010 RX quite a bit I really did my best to try find something else - I just couldnt' find anything that leased with the same value. Hopefully next time around.

I'm not a repeat customer out of loyalty... it was more value. The closest other option was an Audi Q5 that was about the same but leased for $300 more a month. Seriously?

But I digress....
I cannot remember the introduction of a Lexus model that was more of a disaster than the new RX. Even the vehicle itself seems half thought out. This is a shame.

Quick Reply: Frustrated with purchase process - looking for help