RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 rx350 complaints

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 12:59 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2010 rx350 complaints

i've never owned a lexus, last 2 vehicles were jeep grand cherokees

i've only owned my rx a week, most of these complaints arose 1st day

i like my rx, but few things are perfect & it's easier to pick out the bad stuff

don't read this as a negative post, just constructive criticism for lexus

- no lips on rims for wheel weights, weights stuck in the inner rim are unsightly

- no psi display, this should be a standard safety feature, see rants

- no volts display, this is been a basic feature for most upper end vehicles for decades

- no glove box light, box is really dark & this is another basic, even my 40 yr old camaro has it

- transition from wood to leather on steering wheel leaves an annoying bump right where i like to keep my hand ( i drive w/ either LH @ 10:00 or RH @ 4:00 )

- angle of side view mirrors, the sides nearest the vehicle angle away from the vehicle, leaving a blind spot for traffic directly behind you

- floor mat colors, i'd prefer carpet matching colors

- knee room too narrow, i like to set the cruise, bend my knees & spread my legs while driving

- center console lid doesn't fully open, leaving no way to use right hand to access the inside

- heads-up-display cut out reflection in non-HUD vehicle, this is extremely annoying, lexus should have made a flat seamless dash with no cut outs for vehicles w/o HUD

- parking assist volume should automatically increase with radio volume

- no noise cancellation technology, this is like the bose headset that produces an equally opposite sound to cancel the unwanted sound, chevy's entry level suv (equinox) has this now, so you'd think it'd be standard on lexus

- can't send a map destination to navi via web browser, this is a gm onstar feature, maybe lexus-ensure will include it in the future

- lack of storage compartments
Old 08-08-09, 01:39 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jskennedy

i've only owned my rx a week, most of these complaints arose 1st day

i like my rx, but few things are perfect & it's easier to pick out the bad stuff

don't read this as a negative post, just constructive criticism for lexus

- no lips on rims for wheel weights, weights stuck in the inner rim are unsightly

- no volts display, this is been a basic feature for most upper end vehicles for decades

- no glove box light, box is really dark & this is another basic, even my 40 yr old camaro has it

- transition from wood to leather on steering wheel leaves an annoying bump right where i like to keep my hand ( i drive w/ either LH @ 10:00 or RH @ 4:00 )

- angle of side view mirrors, the sides nearest the vehicle angle away from the vehicle, leaving a blind spot for traffic directly behind you

- knee room too narrow, i like to set the cruise, bend my knees & spread my legs while driving

- center console lid doesn't fully open, leaving no way to use right hand to access the inside

- heads-up-display cut out reflection in non-HUD vehicle, this is extremely annoying, lexus should have made a flat seamless dash with no cut outs for vehicles w/o HUD

- no noise cancellation technology, this is like the bose headset that produces an equally opposite sound to cancel the unwanted sound, chevy's entry level suv (equinox) has this now, so you'd think it'd be standard on lexus

- can't send a map destination to navi via web browser, this is a gm onstar feature, maybe lexus-ensure will include it in the future

Wow
Did you offer the same constructive criticism on your jeep???

I've had my RX two months now and the little niggly complaints I had were a couple of yours but nothing that dramatic.

Just curious and don't take this the wrong way please. What was the last car your didn't have a problem with? And was it anywhere near as nice or complex as the Lexus RX series?

I'll just rebuke your 1st issue, the wheel weights. These are very large wheels and the best way to balance them is inside weights. And inside they should be a lot harder to see then if they were attached to the rim where they could also offer damage while applying or removing.

Last edited by Cruiter; 08-08-09 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-08-09, 02:32 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Most people use the weights now, all lexus vehicles and even my mercedes uses the wheel weights on the inside. people wouldnt really notice it.

- no psi display, this should be a standard safety feature,

standard on RX450h. Agreed that it should have been included, but its not a necessity

Do you need to see the volts in order to drive the vehicle safely? I mean, a regular driven vehicle should have a battery that lasts 4-5 years, if not more.

agreed, this is an oversight

I dont see any other way to make a better transition. THis is why i opt of just plain leather steering, the feel is much better, and the leather will glide smoothly in your hand when the wheel turns back.

A common mistake with drivers is that they adjust their mirrors so that they can still see part of the doors on each side. This is not "correct." you are suppose to adjust it so that if you lean on either side just a little bit, you can see the sides of the car. sitting in the drivers seat perfectly in the middle, you should not be able to see the side of your car. this will help with blind spots.

Lexus has to make the carpets black. If you had tan colored mats (like in older lexus models), it would be impossible to keep clean.

agreed, this is a cost cutting decision

search through the menues, the beeps should be able to be 'adaptive'

lexus already provides the most sound insulation of any vehicle manufacturer. The Rx is constantly praised by reviewers for its sound isolation. If the problem is with the radio, the radio comes with ASL (adaptive sound leveliser) that will increase the volume as your speed up

Models built after August 1st, 2009 will have 1 year free subscription to Lexus Enform which provides the feature you mention and others.

that is one long list of complaints btw.
Old 08-08-09, 07:17 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"A common mistake with drivers is that they adjust their mirrors so that they can still see part of the doors on each side. This is not "correct." you are suppose to adjust it so that if you lean on either side just a little bit, you can see the sides of the car. sitting in the drivers seat perfectly in the middle, you should not be able to see the side of your car. this will help with blind spots."

I am glad you pointed this very important tidbit out RXSF. My wife and I have been adjusting the mirror exactly as you point out for many years now. I don't understand why the dealers, etc., have not been educating the public to adjust the outside mirrors in this fashion. Indeed, the blind-spot is easily eliminated by doing this.
Old 08-08-09, 08:07 PM
pulp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for some illogical reason GCC [Gulf Cooperation Council] Spec. RX's do not even have TPMS at all, however we get a full size spare tire.

i had this on older cars before, it never actually did anything useful, it always displayed correct voltage until the battery died suddenly.

we get color matching carpets here, weird.

you can set the vol. from 1-5 via customizations, but i don't think its adaptive. you can also make it display on the main nav screen which is hard to miss.

my previous car, a Renault Magane had storage compartments hidden under the carpet/feet of the passenger & driver. you could hide stuff in them and there is noway anyone would think of looking there! it also had compartments in the dooors armrest area. i agree with you the RX seems to have far fewer storage areas.

however i like the tilting side compartments in the RX front doors which are quite nice i guess
Old 08-08-09, 08:25 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

My “jeeper” friend; looks like you have not own newer or passenger vehicles.

Wheels with “lips” are disappearing quickly like 8-track players. This is also common on trucks. I to miss the reliable clip-on weights instead of the stick-on weights which was designed to have “cleaner” presentation. I prefer the reliability instead of presentation.

Volt and oil pressure meters in passenger cars have been gone for sometime in both domestic and foreign vehicles and slowly making it in to CUV/SUVs. Just like trans dipstick disappearing on vehicles and eventually oil dipstick will disappear as they are electronically validated.

Transition from wood to leather is same for all with same type. Transition isn’t so much the difference in height but in texture/feeling and you will get use to it. Even some level Ford truck have stylish steering wheel set with different color leather which have “transition.”

Floor mat; previous RX had matching color but from what I read about how Lexus decided to put darker color mat steams from user complaint about how it easily got dirty. At least your top part of the dash matches the color of the mat.

Noise cancellation is nothing but a “wind” blowing sound coming from speakers. It only cover-up/fake/mask noise. RX is already very composed so I think sound cancellation noise will actually cause distraction.

On-Star; it is GM thing, and at one time Lexus did have contractual agreement but I am not familiar with how much service was provide for Lexus. With XM live traffic and weather support with a lot of good function built-in to current 10RX navigation I don’t see any additional benefit of download maps. Voice activation is much improved [still slower than I wished] so you can “speak” to set/find destination.

I do agree with many users here about missing power outlet, no/lack of storage bin space and host of others. I sense that 10RX was rushed and left out some basics. I am sure mid-year 13RX will have revised interior with all the stuff we are complaining now.
At least current RX tailgate looks similar to WK and when you look at Gen2 RX, its tailgate looks like WJ. I think RX is copying Grand Cherokee and adding little more “flairs”
Old 08-08-09, 11:28 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

my glove box has LED lights inside. It's a tad dim, but there is light. Maybe this depends on the package?
Old 08-14-09, 11:54 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Wow Did you offer the same constructive criticism on your jeep???
no, but i did not have the expectations i had for the lexus. i never knew a lexus was a luxury vehicle or that it was owned my toyota until a month ago. to me it was just another car, only diff being the big L logo. i saw the 450h on motor-week & was impressed. after mentioning to several friends i was considering a lexus, they all went ooh, ahh, nice. so after hearing everyone's reactions to the mere mention of the brand, i was expectations were set high

Originally Posted by Cruiter
What was the last car your didn't have a problem with? And was it anywhere near as nice or complex as the Lexus RX series?
my 98 grand cherokee clunker i traded for the lexus. i bought a 02 grand cherokee based on my virtually problem free 98 expecting the same, but was let down. no more jeeps
Old 08-14-09, 12:06 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
A common mistake with drivers is that they adjust their mirrors so that they can still see part of the doors on each side. This is not "correct." you are suppose to adjust it so that if you lean on either side just a little bit, you can see the sides of the car. sitting in the drivers seat perfectly in the middle, you should not be able to see the side of your car. this will help with blind spots.
i've read & heard of this "proper mirror adjustment method" for years. not sure who made this proclamation, probably some auto mag writer printed it & his readers took it for the gospel. i respectfully disagree w/ the method. i believe mirrors should be adjusted to where ever the driver is most comfortable using them.

i did not need to lean to the side to view behind my vehicle from the side view mirrors in my previous vehicles

Indeed, the blind-spot is easily eliminated by doing this.
the blind spot behind the vehicle i mentioned is worsened if i adjust the side mirrors away from the vehicle where i can not view the sides of car

never understood why manufacturers do not use convex mirrors
Old 08-14-09, 12:06 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DOUS
my glove box has LED lights inside. It's a tad dim, but there is light. Maybe this depends on the package?
where is the light in your box, maybe mine is blown
Old 08-14-09, 01:01 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

I drove a bus for a while while in the Army--the goal was to see the side and lanes with only swiveling your head
Old 08-14-09, 01:53 PM
RXSF

the box light is only turned on when the headlights on turned on
Old 08-14-09, 01:55 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've read & heard of this "proper mirror adjustment method" for years. not sure who made this proclamation, probably some auto mag writer printed it & his readers took it for the gospel. i respectfully disagree w/ the method. i believe mirrors should be adjusted to where ever the driver is most comfortable using them.

i did not need to lean to the side to view behind my vehicle from the side view mirrors in my previous vehicles

the blind spot behind the vehicle i mentioned is worsened if i adjust the side mirrors away from the vehicle where i can not view the sides of car

I never understood why manufacturers do not use convex mirrors

Are you sure about this? While parked, you need to adjust the mirror by leaning over towards the driver's side window and look straight ahead so that you now see the side of the car. Bingo! Now when driving and sitting on your normal seat position, if there is a vehicle that is on the passing lane, you will see it way before it passes you. This way, the blind spot is definitely eliminated. It works perfect for us. Without this alignement on the mirror, there is a significant blind spot. Maybe, I am not understanding what you are saying. Did your previous vehicles have convex mirrors? If not, then I don't think there is any other way of eliminating blind spots than the method I described.

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 08-14-09 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 02:05 PM
RXSF

I guess the OP is just used to seeing the sides of the car when sitting normally. I know a lot of people who drive cars this way, and lo and behold, they are very afraid of blind spots. lol

Its hard to change habits. I guess the only solution now is to buy those small convex mirrors and stick it to the side mirror. Either that or look over your shoulder (which you should still always do). I cant wait until lexus starts using blind spot monitors like most other luxury cars
Old 08-14-09, 04:17 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Are you sure about this? While parked, you need to adjust the mirror by leaning over towards the driver's side window and look straight ahead so that you now see the side of the car. Bingo! Now when driving and sitting on your normal seat position, if there is a vehicle that is on the passing lane, you will see it way before it passes you. This way, the blind spot is definitely eliminated. It works perfect for us. Without this alignement on the mirror, there is a significant blind spot. Maybe, I am not understanding what you are saying. Did your previous vehicles have convex mirrors? If not, then I don't think there is any other way of eliminating blind spots than the method I described.

below is what i see

i have no issue w/ the view beside the vehicle

my complaint is that i can't see behind the vehicle in the side view mirror

i realize i can use the rear view mirror, but in previous vehicles i have been able to see both beside & behind the vehicle w/ the side view mirror w/o leaning over

if the top of the mirror was an inch wider toward the car, it would be perfect

Quick Reply: 2010 rx350 complaints