RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A few complaints about my 2010 Lexus RX350, for the record...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-09, 12:19 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by afpj
If you've seen the dash in the daytime, it should be easy enough to know what the arrows are for (temp). This is a nonNAV dash...
If you have the NAV package, it seems you have an easier to understand night time display
Attached Thumbnails A few complaints about my 2010 Lexus RX350, for the record...-dash-illumination-8-15-2009-7-33-23-pm.jpg  
Old 08-16-09, 05:28 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 pages of complaints about a couple of non-lit buttons? I guess RX is meant for prowling the urban jungle, not suburban. In local jungle, the streets provide adequate lighting, I guess, as there no problems here.
Old 08-17-09, 07:50 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In many areas where you're driving at night, it's too dark for the little bit of light outside to light up the interior enough to make any difference. Also, I have navigation and that doesn't help.. Plus, if you have tinted windows like I do, that means even less light coming in - and down South, tinted windows are very important in the Summer... Again, it's certainly not a deal breaker - but it's a surprise coming from a company that pursues perfection. Address this issue, Lexus - or don't... It's your business...
Old 08-17-09, 09:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DNC
Lexus would be well served to spend a little time reading this blog. They would get a lot of information for free that they cannot get from any outside source at any price; an honest customer's opinion.
Lexus actually DOES read these forums, and they follow certain complaints very closely. Some people expect perfection and thus will never be happy, but over the years Lexus has actually fixed problems that were specific complaints on CL forum boards.

Certain people specifically expect perfection from Lexus, yet give a free pass to other luxury brands for major flaws.

All cars have flaws, and will always have flaws. This is a fact. The 3RX though is overall a pretty big improvement over the 2RX. Many of the problems and flaws of the 2RX have been fixed in the 3RX models.

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
In many areas where you're driving at night, it's too dark for the little bit of light outside to light up the interior enough to make any difference. Also, I have navigation and that doesn't help.. Plus, if you have tinted windows like I do, that means even less light coming in - and down South, tinted windows are very important in the Summer... Again, it's certainly not a deal breaker - but it's a surprise coming from a company that pursues perfection. Address this issue, Lexus - or don't... It's your business...
Once again, you cannot honestly expect actual perfection from Lexus. Yes, Lexus does pursue perfection, and the key word here is they pursue it. It is impossible to actually *achieve* perfection.

If the main complaints some people have with the 3RX is a few un-lit buttons, then it's safe to say Lexus has come *very* close to perfection.
Old 08-17-09, 10:52 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

If the main complaints some people have with the 3RX is a few un-lit buttons, then it's safe to say Lexus has come *very* close to perfection.
Im gonna play devil's advocate here

In the previous 2gen RX, the homelink buttons were backlit for each number (1,2,3). On the 3gen RX, they removed the backlighting. It seems to me that if they were pursuing perfection, they wouldnt mess with the perfect backlighting of the homelink buttons, would they? What could be the possible reason for removing this besides cost savings and negligence
Old 08-18-09, 12:26 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF

In the previous 2gen RX, the homelink buttons were backlit for each number (1,2,3). On the 3gen RX, they removed the backlighting. It seems to me that if they were pursuing perfection, they wouldnt mess with the perfect backlighting of the homelink buttons, would they? What could be the possible reason for removing this besides cost savings and negligence
It could be cost savings, or maybe Lexus put a lot of focus and attention on other bigger problems, like the issues and flaws the 2RX had that they may have overlooked things like lighting the homelink buttons. Lexus employees are only human .

Once again, you are expecting perfection. Yes, some minor things on the 3RX seem like a step back compared to the 2RX, but a lot of *major* flaws and problems on the 2RX were fixed with the 3RX, and the 3RX also improved upon certain features and attributes that the 2RX was already strong in.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Lastly, don't be surprised to see Lexus fixing some of these minor issues on the 3RX in the future.
Old 08-18-09, 12:37 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Lexus actually DOES read these forums, and they follow certain complaints very closely. Some people expect perfection and thus will never be happy, but over the years Lexus has actually fixed problems that were specific complaints on CL forum boards.

Certain people specifically expect perfection from Lexus, yet give a free pass to other luxury brands for major flaws.

All cars have flaws, and will always have flaws. This is a fact. The 3RX though is overall a pretty big improvement over the 2RX. Many of the problems and flaws of the 2RX have been fixed in the 3RX models.

Once again, you cannot honestly expect actual perfection from Lexus. Yes, Lexus does pursue perfection, and the key word here is they pursue it. It is impossible to actually *achieve* perfection.

Wow! Someone works for Lexus
Old 08-18-09, 12:51 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Wow! Someone works for Lexus
No, I do not. Most of this is common sense and also from what other members have posted in the past.
Old 08-18-09, 12:53 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF

In the previous 2gen RX, the homelink buttons were backlit for each number (1,2,3). On the 3gen RX, they removed the backlighting. It seems to me that if they were pursuing perfection, they wouldnt mess with the perfect backlighting of the homelink buttons, would they?
Seems like TOYOTA/LEXUS is all over the place these days. The first gen Tundra came with lighted homelink switches yet the current 4runner does not. Then the RX for 2010 debuts with out lighted homelink.....even more interesting is that the RX loses rear window lights while the TOYOTA Avalon gains AUTO up on all 4 windows.

I recently test drove a TOYOTA product. The salesman couldn't believe that I requested a second test drive when it was dark...He laughed and asked me why?.....I didn't anwser but I was SHOCKED when I found out the power window/lock switches didnt light up on my very first TOYOTA......perhaps that is why they made such amazing profits.

What could be the possible reason for removing this besides cost savings and negligence
No doubt about this. I wonder if being made in Canada has anything to do with it?
Old 08-18-09, 01:30 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Bumpers that almost fall off is a mistake and can be fixed. Un lit buttons is a careless design error and can be a safety issue. It reflects a product that was not well thought out. Obviously Lexus put more thought into where to place the cup holders than driver's safety with regard to illuminated buttons. This issue alone could cause more accidents than their new heads-up display could prevent. Stupid mistake.
Old 08-18-09, 02:32 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DNC
Bumpers that almost fall off is a mistake and can be fixed. Un lit buttons is a careless design error and can be a safety issue. It reflects a product that was not well thought out. Obviously Lexus put more thought into where to place the cup holders than driver's safety with regard to illuminated buttons. This issue alone could cause more accidents than their new heads-up display could prevent. Stupid mistake.
You continue to prove my point. People like you will never be pleased. You expect perfection, and that is just impossible. Almost all of the buttons ARE lit. There are only a few that are unlit.
Old 08-18-09, 05:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus and Toyota is nickel and dime-ing their owners to death. Can you guys believe on the new RAV-4, the window buttons are not lit. I guess if Lexus can save $10 on 3 LED on the RX's homelink buttons, thats $10 times 150,000 unit per year at a savings of 1.5 million. Not exactly pocket change.
Old 08-18-09, 07:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lexus and Toyota is nickel and dime-ing their owners to death. Can you guys believe on the new RAV-4, the window buttons are not lit. I guess if Lexus can save $10 on 3 LED on the RX's homelink buttons, thats $10 times 150,000 unit per year at a savings of 1.5 million. Not exactly pocket change.
Yeah, they are. The RX 450h doesn't get 30 MPG and doesn't offer LEDs where no one else in this segment even exists. Lexus/Toyota is not immune to cutting costs. Small buttons on the homlink without lights might be a very very small inconvience but not a deal breaker. The Rav4 with the V-6 is fastest in class, offers 7 seats and has best in class economy as well.

I think thats a little more important.

Ladies and Gents lets please respect Sal's thread and not turn this into a Lexus sucks thread or making attacks on other members.

Please continue pointing out opportunities with the 3RX. Thanks.
Old 08-18-09, 09:18 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you, 1SickLex.. Exactly. This discussion was not started to nit-pick Lexus to death. It should be seen as an opportunity for Lexus to fix something that was not designed properly. I've mentioned several times in this thread that these unlit buttons are NOT a deal breaker. However, they should be lit. That is all...
Old 08-18-09, 09:47 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, some minor things on the 3RX seem like a step back compared to the 2RX, but a lot of *major* flaws and problems on the 2RX were fixed with the 3RX, and the 3RX also improved upon certain features and attributes that the 2RX was already strong in.
1st gen: Major Flaw- Turning radius was way too big and causes a huge amount of embarassment for drivers FIXED IN 2ND

2nd gen: the most perfect vehicle I have ever owned. What major flaws are you referring to.

Quick Reply: A few complaints about my 2010 Lexus RX350, for the record...