RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A few complaints about my 2010 Lexus RX350, for the record...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 10:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, they are. The RX 450h doesn't get 30 MPG and doesn't offer LEDs where no one else in this segment even exists. Lexus/Toyota is not immune to cutting costs. Small buttons on the homlink without lights might be a very very small inconvience but not a deal breaker. The Rav4 with the V-6 is fastest in class, offers 7 seats and has best in class economy as well.

I think thats a little more important.

[/B]
You did read my post on why I think Lexus left these buttons un-lit right? Just because a SUV has un-lit buttons where it should be lit, that dsoesnt make it a bad product. The 30 MPG rating and LED headlight and the V6 in the RAV are all reasons why these SUVs are a top seller or near the top.
My point is, these un-lit button might cost Lexus $15 to install at factory. Is $15 really worth it to Lexus when a few LED can a owner that much happier. Cost cutting is fine if there is a way to things without affecting quality or function and save money at the same time. In this case, it effects function, making the buttons hard to find at night for new owners. When all the obvious cost saving ahve been done already, one have to cut into areas that will affect quality and functionality.
Old 08-18-09, 11:26 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
1st gen: Major Flaw- Turning radius was way too big and causes a huge amount of embarassment for drivers FIXED IN 2ND

2nd gen: the most perfect vehicle I have ever owned. What major flaws are you referring to.
Here are just a few things that have been improved, some of them based on complaints/issues I have seen on the 2RX forums, and heard from 2RX owners:

- steering was too light (improved supposedly in 3RX)
- crash safety was improved
- 3RX feels more "vault-like" than the 2RX
- 3RX has a better ride/handling balance than the 2RX
- 3RX has better handling due to redesigned rear suspension
- cargo space is improved
- interior quality, fit and finish has been improved over the 2RX
- fuel economy has been improved over the 2RX
- wind/tire noise has been improved over the 2RX
- so far, it seems the 3RX has less various squeaks and rattles than the 2RX
- the hybrid model has been improved in various ways

The 3RX is more deserving of the Lexus name brand than the 2RX. Some say the ride is a bit stiff on the 3RX. I have driven 2RX models extensively, and I don't like the ride/handling balance on the 2RX. Many others also do not like the ride/handling balance. I have yet to drive the 3RX, but from what I've heard it has a better balance of ride/handling while still retaining the smoothness you expect from a Lexus.
Old 08-18-09, 02:45 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
You continue to prove my point. People like you will never be pleased. You expect perfection, and that is just impossible. Almost all of the buttons ARE lit. There are only a few that are unlit.
I'm sorry, but I don't think expecting buttons to be illuminated in a new car that are illuminated in cars that I have that are older than I am is expecting too much. Some people buy cars to be seen in them, others buy cars to fit their needs and appreciate them from the inside out. People who defend their car of choice like their favorite football team just aren't real car enthusiasts. A real enthusiast will always be aware of both the good and the bad, and expect improvements just as he/she expect the price increases.
Old 08-18-09, 02:57 PM
klegrow
Rookie

DNC, I agree with you, but I also didn't find it to be a big deal. Up/Down arrows illuminated on both sides of the console seemed pretty obvious to me. It is true that is an overlooked detail that really should have been included. However, the bigger deal to me is that I couldn't even get the features I wanted. The dealer wouldn't even let me order the Luxury Package because apparently about 10 orders he tried to place were rejected by Lexus.
Old 08-18-09, 03:03 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Klegrow.. I wanted Mark Levinson and couldn't get it.. Sucks for me - but that wasn't a deal breaker either..

Since we're on the topic of complaints - I can add one more.. Another very, very minor thing - and I'm not even sure it really NEEDS to be addressed.. I'm not crazy about how the heated/cooled seat feature works.. It's hidden beneath the arm rest - WHICH I LIKE! However, my wife uses her heated seat all the time - even in the Summer. When I get in and drive, after a couple of minutes, I'm steaming hot. It would be nice if the seats just turned off altogether when the car was shut off.. I've never experienced anything like this before - then again, it's really no big deal...
Old 08-18-09, 03:08 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by klegrow
DNC, I agree with you, but I also didn't find it to be a big deal. Up/Down arrows illuminated on both sides of the console seemed pretty obvious to me. It is true that is an overlooked detail that really should have been included. However, the bigger deal to me is that I couldn't even get the features I wanted. The dealer wouldn't even let me order the Luxury Package because apparently about 10 orders he tried to place were rejected by Lexus.
Yes, the ordering process is an important issue. I almost fell out of my chair when I read your statement "The dealer wouldn't let me order the Luxury Package". My first thought was why let the tail wag the dog? Then I saw on another thread you went to another dealership. Again, good for you!!!!
Old 08-18-09, 03:14 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Klegrow.. I wanted Mark Levinson and couldn't get it.. Sucks for me - but that wasn't a deal breaker either..

Since we're on the topic of complaints - I can add one more.. Another very, very minor thing - and I'm not even sure it really NEEDS to be addressed.. I'm not crazy about how the heated/cooled seat feature works.. It's hidden beneath the arm rest - WHICH I LIKE! However, my wife uses her heated seat all the time - even in the Summer. When I get in and drive, after a couple of minutes, I'm steaming hot. It would be nice if the seats just turned off altogether when the car was shut off.. I've never experienced anything like this before - then again, it's really no big deal...
I have thought of that too. I often adjust the seat temp while driving. This way I will have to open the compartment and look down. And what do you want to bet those hidden controls ARE illuminated when you open the compartment??
I get the feeling the interior of these cars are being designed by some poor fellow fresh out of design school that has no real car interests.
Old 08-18-09, 03:18 PM
klegrow
Rookie

The compartment part I agree with, but on the autoshutoff.....would be nice, but I've never had a seat heater with that option. I'm guessing the reason is so that it turns on if you have a remote starter.
Old 08-18-09, 03:22 PM
klegrow
Rookie

DNC...I reacted pretty much the same way. Apparently Lexus did "extensive marketing research" and deemed we in the Northeast didn't want that feature...LOL....The HUD and folding mirrors are nice, but not necessary for me. The big feature I wanted is the adaptive cruise control. I drive mainly in the city, but when I do highway driving, it is for multiple hours to see family. I don't know if the dealer was just trying to wax my carrot, but he said the adaptive cruise isn't that good (i.e. you have to watch it constantly because it doesn't work well).
Old 08-18-09, 03:28 PM
DNC
Advanced

DNC...I reacted pretty much the same way. Apparently Lexus did "extensive marketing research" and deemed we in the Northeast didn't want that feature...LOL....The HUD and folding mirrors are nice, but not necessary for me. The big feature I wanted is the adaptive cruise control. I drive mainly in the city, but when I do highway driving, it is for multiple hours to see family. I don't know if the dealer was just trying to wax my carrot, but he said the adaptive cruise isn't that good (i.e. you have to watch it constantly because it doesn't work well).
I have the radar cruise on my LS Ultra. I like it okay on two lane rural roads, but on interstates it seems to push you to the back of the line as cars pass you and slow down. I use the regular cruise option on those roads.
My cruise had never given me any problems.

Last edited by DNC; 08-18-09 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-18-09, 08:14 PM
data2009
Pole Position

5 pages about non-lit buttons...
Old 08-18-09, 08:26 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by data2009
5 pages about non-lit buttons...
yeah, hilarious ain't it?!?
Old 08-18-09, 08:27 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

There is a tiny little light just aft of the homelink buttons. In complete darkness, the reflection off my hand can light the buttons enough to see the numbers. Not as good as actually having them illuminated mind you, but it seems "good enuf for government work". Hmmm, wonder if my post makes it 6 pages on this topic...
Old 08-18-09, 09:45 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stormforge
yeah, hilarious ain't it?!?
Gentleman, I think we are upsetting the cheerleaders and the Lexus groupies.
Old 08-18-09, 10:05 PM
DNC
Advanced

Klegrow, The big deal with our order is we were not able to get the VDIM (Vehicle Synamics Integrated Management). If we got that Lexus told us we had to give up the Luxury Package, so we gave up on the VDIM. Next it was a big issue getting the Pre-Collision System. That was a deal breaker, we were not willing to give that up. That added more time to the wait for the order to be filled.
I have noticed the Lexus commercials for the VDIM have disappeared after a short run. They were pushing it from a safety standpoint. I guess Lexus backed off the safety issue for some reason. I am beginning to wonder if Lexus really wants to be a world class car manufacturer. Maybe they are more about bling than saftey and quality. My family might not be their market target any longer. As I have said before, if the customer service ever disappears we will exit the Lexus camp.

Quick Reply: A few complaints about my 2010 Lexus RX350, for the record...