RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A few complaints about my 2010 Lexus RX350, for the record...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 05:39 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so just for the record . . .
We picked up a Truffle Mica, Prem, Comfort,Nav . . . last night as an overnight 'tester' for my wife to make sure she likes the car and the color.

I specifically looked at the temperature arrow buttons and they ARE lit on this vehicle. I can't say if it's a nav vs. non-nav thing or if it's due to one of the packages or whatever it might be.

All I know is that the headlights were on in my garage and the buttons were lit (I even cupped my hands over them to make sure it wasn't an illusion )

It did not look like the homelink buttons were lit but there is an LED that shines down on the gear shifter that is directly behind them so I wasn't able to tell. I'll confirm that after I finalize everything on Saturday and have a chance to look it over.

Jay
Old 08-19-09, 06:40 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
Gentleman, I think we are upsetting the cheerleaders and the Lexus groupies.
No, I think it's more like amusing the cheerleaders and Lexus groupies

Seriously, I can understand where people are coming from. IMO, it's reasonable to set the bar higher because we're talking about Lexus, not GM. This is especially true for those coming from 1st or 2nd gen RX into 3rd. Lexus touted the RX as being completed reinvented. And it is, quirks and all.

Call me jaded but I came out of a 97 Ford Explorer Sport Lemon into my first 99 RX back in November 1998 I have yet to find anything close to Lexus in quality and design. I'll take an unlit button anyday over a bad tranny, and paint job, and antifreeze leak, and window leaks, and broken fuel gauge... I think you get the idea
Old 08-19-09, 07:31 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The arrow buttons light up perfectly. It's the text around the buttons that signifies what the arrows represent that does not light up. If you're not very familiar with the vehicle, you will not know what these arrows are for. This is especially bad for passengers who aren't in the car every day - and people who only drive the vehicle on occasion...

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
I specifically looked at the temperature arrow buttons and they ARE lit on this vehicle. I can't say if it's a nav vs. non-nav thing or if it's due to one of the packages or whatever it might be.
Old 08-19-09, 08:03 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
The arrow buttons light up perfectly. It's the text around the buttons that signifies what the arrows represent that does not light up. If you're not very familiar with the vehicle, you will not know what these arrows are for. This is especially bad for passengers who aren't in the car every day - and people who only drive the vehicle on occasion...
Gotcha. Sorry about that. I fell asleep reading the 42 pages of responses to the thread

I, like you, would prefer these things lit up as the RX will mainly be my wife's car and often times I will drive it on longer trips. So that means highway driving at night with no additional light to see some of the things. Again, it's really not such a big deal but I respect the opinions of the folks who are mentioning it. Hopefully Lexus DOES monitor these boards and sees an easy fix and gets free market research to better their products in their relentess pursuit of perfection.

Meanwhile, I would vote for having the cruise control stalk lit up if anyone is taking notes Again, on highway driving, that thing, although very easy to use, does take some adjusting to if you don't use cruise or drive it very often.

Homelink buttons . . . well, kind of a pain but you do have the LED nearby. Also, less of a worry for me as I will probably have ambient light outside of my garage when pressing the button. Good to have, yes, necessary, no.

Sorry about the wrong info on the arrows . . .

Jay
Old 08-19-09, 09:51 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Meanwhile, I would vote for having the cruise control stalk lit up if anyone is taking notes Again, on highway driving, that thing, although very easy to use, does take some adjusting to if you don't use cruise or drive it very often.
if you are familiar with toyota/scion/lexus cars, it is the same stalk. Pretty easy to feel what you are doing, and the way it is positioned on the steering, i dont think bending down to look at the lighted words is the best idea.

Lexus has a history of changing lighted/unlighted buttons in their cars. Many people complained about this on the GS where it has that hidden drop down menu with all the "unessessary" buttons, but they were not lighted. later, this was changed.
Old 08-19-09, 01:42 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Call me jaded but I came out of a 97 Ford Explorer Sport Lemon into my first 99 RX back in November 1998 I have yet to find anything close to Lexus in quality and design. I'll take an unlit button anyday over a bad tranny, and paint job, and antifreeze leak, and window leaks, and broken fuel gauge... I think you get the idea
You have described the reason I bought a Lexus, and it makes life so much easier. I do not miss the service department visits. This is Lexus at it's best.
Old 08-19-09, 03:26 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
You have described the reason I bought a Lexus, and it makes life so much easier. I do not miss the service department visits. This is Lexus at it's best.
Absolutely But I like going to my Lexus dealer twice a year for service. They're like family
Old 08-19-09, 03:50 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Absolutely But I like going to my Lexus dealer twice a year for service. They're like family
I find that to be true of the management at our dealership. I don't take our cars in for service as I have a shop where I service all of our cars myself. I'm just very picky about such things as I have had bad experiences with all dealerships. I enjoy doing it anyway. I'm crazy like that.
Old 08-22-09, 06:32 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came to the conclusion that there is just too much "stuff" in cars now and too much "stuff" they can do--it is at a point of overload. I mean, the owners manuals on all these cars are getting thicker and thicker.

Question on the easy to find and access power outlets :-) it appears that when the car is turned off and when accessories are off-you can leave the plugs like for phones and ipod attached and they will not drain the battery--is that correct?
Old 08-22-09, 02:00 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal56
I came to the conclusion that there is just too much "stuff" in cars now and too much "stuff" they can do--it is at a point of overload. I mean, the owners manuals on all these cars are getting thicker and thicker.

Question on the easy to find and access power outlets :-) it appears that when the car is turned off and when accessories are off-you can leave the plugs like for phones and ipod attached and they will not drain the battery--is that correct?
Yes, all the accessory power (at least the12v ones including the one in the trunk) are only powered with ignition ON. We leave all the cables plugged in. Don't know about the 120v option, but I can't imagine that would be left on when the others are off.
Old 08-22-09, 02:04 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal56

+! Hal, when the owners manual reached 2 pounds, I realized enough was enough
Old 08-22-09, 03:30 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

I need a RX for dummies book.
Old 08-22-09, 05:08 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tromly
+! Hal, when the owners manual reached 2 pounds, I realized enough was enough
Only 2 pounds huh? They must not have given you all of the manuals

You know it's bad when the salesman doesn't even know how you fit all of the books into the glovebox (hint, everything goes in fine on the top shelf if you just take out the instructional DVD).

You also know it's bad when the 'Quick Reference' guides are over 40 pages.

I have no complaints about all of the technology though - I love it!!

Cheers!

Jay
Old 08-22-09, 05:32 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
(hint, everything goes in fine on the top shelf if you just take out the instructional DVD).

Cheers!

Jay
What instructional DVD? Is that for the NAV?
Old 08-23-09, 01:41 AM
klegrow
Rookie

Yes, the DVD is for the navigation. There are also tutorials on the Lexus owner's website if you can't locate the DVD.

Quick Reply: A few complaints about my 2010 Lexus RX350, for the record...