RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A few complaints about my 2010 Lexus RX350, for the record...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 07:08 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A few complaints about my 2010 Lexus RX350, for the record...

I've owned this vehicle for about 6 weeks or so now.. It's a great, comfortable Crossover SUV and I don't regret my purchase AT ALL. However, Lexus has overlooked a couple of things and I'd like to state my opinion on them...

1. I cannot see the temperature control buttons at night. All the text is lit up around these buttons - but these buttons themselves are not. When it's very dark, I have to feel around for these buttons - and that's distracting to my driving. I feel this is an oversight on Lexus' part. A mistake that I hope they fix in the future. I really don't expect this type of thing from Lexus. It really does bother me.

2. I cannot see the homelink buttons at night - they're not lit up either. There in such a spot where there's no light from anywhere around to help me find them. Now this isn't as big a deal as my first complaint - but I've never had this issue with any other vehicle in my life. I'm just surprised that my first issue with this would be with a Lexus vehicle...

3. There's a pretty loud creek when I lean my left knee up against the driver's side door while I'm driving. Really no big deal - but it's there and I wonder if anyone else has this issue..

Otherwise, I find this to be an excellent vehicle...
Old 08-09-09, 07:48 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I've owned this vehicle for about 6 weeks or so now.. It's a great, comfortable Crossover SUV and I don't regret my purchase AT ALL. However, Lexus has overlooked a couple of things and I'd like to state my opinion on them...

1. I cannot see the temperature control buttons at night. All the text is lit up around these buttons - but these buttons themselves are not. When it's very dark, I have to feel around for these buttons - and that's distracting to my driving. I feel this is an oversight on Lexus' part. A mistake that I hope they fix in the future. I really don't expect this type of thing from Lexus. It really does bother me.

2. I cannot see the homelink buttons at night - they're not lit up either. There in such a spot where there's no light from anywhere around to help me find them. Now this isn't as big a deal as my first complaint - but I've never had this issue with any other vehicle in my life. I'm just surprised that my first issue with this would be with a Lexus vehicle...

3. There's a pretty loud creek when I lean my left knee up against the driver's side door while I'm driving. Really no big deal - but it's there and I wonder if anyone else has this issue..

Otherwise, I find this to be an excellent vehicle...
I agree with you on your number 1 & 2, and think we are stuck with it.
On your #3, your Lexus dealer should be able to correct the problem. I don't have the problem with mine.
Old 08-09-09, 08:25 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your #1 and #2 have caught many ppl's attention for a long time , especially #2. I also found them difficult to use and have to rely on that little reflex from LED or ambient light source to see the buttons.
Old 08-09-09, 09:39 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the temp buttons arent lit! wtf?

p.s. why do we all of a sudden have like 4 threads on what we dont like about the RX? lol
Old 08-09-09, 10:01 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now--I assume someone from Lexus (The pursuit of perfection formerly the relentless pursuit of perfection) monitors this website: would it not be nice if Lexus actually remedied this minor disappointment.

I know I am sort of dreaming, but if they did that I would be a 2 lexus car family forever.

Has anybody had their software updated on the car yet?
Old 08-09-09, 10:03 PM
craysv1
Driver School Candidate

This is my second Lexus (first was an 06 IS350)... I don't think I have EVER touched any climate buttons besides the temp up/down buttons. The computer handles everything perfect... You could use the NAV screen if you needed fine details for some reason.
Old 08-09-09, 10:22 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
the temp buttons arent lit! wtf?

p.s. why do we all of a sudden have like 4 threads on what we dont like about the RX? lol
Because obviously there are a number of people dissatisfied with this new RX. Temp buttons that aren't illuminated is just plan stupid. I am getting the feeling we should have waited a year before ordering the new body style.
Old 08-09-09, 10:34 PM
pulp
Rookie

i had this problem on mine, complained to dealer and they did nothing, said its normal.

the squeaking is coming from where the wood trim touches the windows buttons plastic housing. and it gets worse in hot weather.

i fixed it myself in a rather unorthodox manner, feel free to try it:

- get a small glossy piece of paper like from a brochure or something
- get one of those WD-40 cans that have a straw
- fit the paper between the wood trim and the buttons housing then carefully spray a little WD-40 on the corner, the paper will protect the remaining area from getting sprayed by WD-40 and also force the WD-40 downwards in the crack/opening between wood and buttons housing.
- do this for all 4 sides.
- give it a day to settle down, some WD-40 may pop back up later just wipe it with a tissue.

i did this and the creaking disappeared! another use for WD-40, Fixing Lexus 10RX squeaky door trim!

Last edited by pulp; 08-09-09 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-09-09, 10:42 PM
pulp
Rookie

on the same subject, i also had a small rattle while driving sometimes coming from the handles on top of the windows.

again, a little bit of WD-40 on the hinges took care of it.

but i have to say i wasn't exactly pleased that i had to do this on a car in the price range of the RX.
Old 08-10-09, 07:23 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for the tip, Pulp.. I'll bring it up at my local dealership before I try anything myself. Just to see what they say and/or what they can do..

Otherwise.. It's perfectly normal for threads like this to start popping up as more and more people buy a new vehicle.. The RX certainly has enough "in the bank" for a few issues like this to be acceptable.. The thing is - these types of oversights should not happen at a company which is so highly regarded for "refinement" and user friendliness. These little mistakes are, in a way, big mistakes because it's very unsafe to be looking around for these commonly used buttons. Adjusting the temperature is something my wife and I are ALWAYS doing. And the truth is, Lexus was just too plain CHEAP to light them up. I bet Hyundai won't make this mistake any time soon...
Old 08-10-09, 09:23 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pulp
on the same subject, i also had a small rattle while driving sometimes coming from the handles on top of the windows.

again, a little bit of WD-40 on the hinges took care of it.

but i have to say i wasn't exactly pleased that i had to do this on a car in the price range of the RX.
now that you mentioned it, i heard a small squeak coming from the driver's window frame. i couldn't place it where it was coming from, maybe it was the handles as you mentioned. in any event, i need to take my RX back to the dealer to get this fixed.
Old 08-10-09, 11:08 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
complaints are needed for improvement

hopefully lexus is taking notes
Old 08-10-09, 11:13 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus had better start taking notes (and very quickly) or their competitors are going to be Cadillac and Hyundai instead of BMW and Mercedes. I've been around here for a long, long time and I'm as big a Lexus enthusiast as the next guy - but my opinion of Lexus quality is not nearly as high as it used to be...
Old 08-10-09, 11:31 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

I use the voice command to change the temperature in the cabin, but it doesn't really (or I haven't really tried) do it for the dual zone. But yes, it's still pretty dumb not to have these buttons illuminated.
Old 08-10-09, 11:33 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stormforge
now that you mentioned it, i heard a small squeak coming from the driver's window frame. i couldn't place it where it was coming from, maybe it was the handles as you mentioned. in any event, i need to take my RX back to the dealer to get this fixed.
I also hear some creak in the back seats. My wife says its coming from the rear DVD screens. To me it sounds as if it comes from the headrests or doors in the back. Perhaps the tonneau cover or the car seats. I really haven't investigated hard enough.

Last edited by DOUS; 08-10-09 at 12:23 PM.

Quick Reply: A few complaints about my 2010 Lexus RX350, for the record...