RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

PCS and HUD navi experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 10:31 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default PCS and HUD navi experience

so a couple of days ago, i experienced for the first time PCS and the HUD navi. i'm driving on the right lane, and this car in the left lane decides that it didn't want to wait for the car in front of him to finish making his left hand turn. idiot makes a sudden turn into my lane, forcing me to slam on my brakes to avoid rear ending him. slamming on the brakes caused the front seat belts to tighten up (both my wife and i wondered what had just happened until i recalled that it's the PCS kicking in). luckily for us, no collision. and glad to know that PCS does work.

same day, we also used the navi for the first time. after inputting the destination address, navi works the way it should. what i like about the gen 6 navi: it actually tells you the street name (eg: 800 meters to Broadway East - my GS doesn't have this ). what is even cooler is the HUD: it shows you exactly when to turn - when i come to the intersection where i have to make a left or right turn, the HUD flashes a continuous turn arrow. so there's absolutely no need to look at the navi screen at all (which is what it should be for safe driving).

two great safety features, keeping you safe and your eyes on the road. not much more i can add than give it two
Old 08-19-09, 11:44 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

sounds good, two features i desperately want.

As for the HUD and PSC working together, shouldnt you have seen a BRAKE on the HUD when the person cut in front of you?
Old 08-19-09, 01:40 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormforge
it actually tells you the street name (eg: 800 meters to Broadway East
Neat, does that mean it uses a synthesized voice to speak that portion?
Old 08-19-09, 01:55 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by RXSF
sounds good, two features i desperately want.

As for the HUD and PSC working together, shouldnt you have seen a BRAKE on the HUD when the person cut in front of you?
didn't notice the word "BRAKE" on the HUD, i was too busy trying to stop and avoid an accident.

Originally Posted by encore888
Neat, does that mean it uses a synthesized voice to speak that portion?
uses the same female voice that provides navi directions. and my wife really loves this feature, she can read the street signs as she drives and hear the navi say the street name. absolutely no confusion if you should turn or not.
Old 08-19-09, 02:06 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

uses the same female voice that provides navi directions. and my wife really loves this feature, she can read the street signs as she drives and hear the navi say the street name. absolutely no confusion if you should turn or not.
Very interesting, I assume they programmed that somehow. It would be harder for instance to say "Turn right at El Camino Real West" or "make a slight left turn at Mission Viejo Esplande."
Old 08-19-09, 04:34 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Very interesting, I assume they programmed that somehow. It would be harder for instance to say "Turn right at El Camino Real West" or "make a slight left turn at Mission Viejo Esplande."
It actually says pretty close to what you wrote

Some examples I heard just today "Right turn ahead at _____ Road", "Slight left ahead onto ____ street"
Old 08-19-09, 05:35 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

I love this feature too, Although the voice sometimes pronounces the street names funny.. but then again, Canadian street names are a bit "different".
Old 08-19-09, 06:20 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HUD is the feature I want since seeing BMW had this option in 2003/2004. I told myself that RX10 could be one of the candidates when checking it in Japan. I thought Lexus N.A. would make this available on the selective models in US. In the first few months Lexus USA website did make ppl excited about the options RX10 could have... However, liar and bizarre marketing strategies... HUD RX10 is very very very rare unless...
Old 08-19-09, 07:25 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rxets
HUD RX10 is very very very rare unless...
...you spring for top of the line package or put in a special order. if there's any consolation for you guys south of the border, at least you CAN order HUD in a special order. we don't have that luxury up here; we can't do a special order, it's take it or leave it
Old 08-19-09, 08:21 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

...you spring for top of the line package or put in a special order. if there's any consolation for you guys south of the border, at least you CAN order HUD in a special order. we don't have that luxury up here; we can't do a special order, it's take it or leave it
Since I can buy one of the most common models with 4k+ discount, it makes no sense for me to pay 500 off MSRP of that special order. Some ppl here may know that I was looking for RX10 Auto-folding + HUD in my April hunting, and reviewed 7 vendors' 300+ inventory. I was able to find the full-loaded RX10 350 AWD with 1.5K discount. Although its price was not over my budget, it's really hard for me to buy something I didn't need (RSES and ML) unless it promises to have the huge incentive.
Old 08-19-09, 08:58 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

yes Storm and I didn't have the luxury of an ala-carte system. we had to go all-in!
Old 08-19-09, 11:00 PM
klegrow
Rookie

Storm....you guys in Canada are very lucky! Apparently they ship all of the fully loaded cars up there. I couldn't even order a fully loaded version, as Lexus was basically kicking back the orders and refusing to fulfill the deals.
Old 08-20-09, 06:08 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by klegrow
Storm....you guys in Canada are very lucky! Apparently they ship all of the fully loaded cars up there. I couldn't even order a fully loaded version, as Lexus was basically kicking back the orders and refusing to fulfill the deals.
This is very very bad for Lexus N.A. In the first few months they have the regular RX350, sport-pkg RX, Full-loaded RX (including RSES), etc. Now, no more, the way to special order seems to make more profit for dealers. Now, they start another version of RX (SOS) in the middle of the year.
Old 08-20-09, 06:15 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by klegrow
I guess, even if I had to wait 3+ months, I'd consider myself to be lucky to get it at all
Old 08-20-09, 06:17 AM
klegrow
Rookie

You're right DOUS, but the problem with ordering in the US is two fold....

- First, many orders are being kicked back by Lexus
- Second, the dealers soak you on the order...basically they try to get MSRP

Quick Reply: PCS and HUD navi experience