RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX 350 design flaw

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-09, 04:10 PM
Joe G
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RX 350 design flaw

Originally Posted by The G Man
Joe G, did your insurance company pay for the damage?
Our insurance company issued a check to replace the radiator.
Raditor was installed and car is still running hot.
Dealership in N.J. needs to diagnois further. They cannot proceed any further until our insurance adjuster returns, which should be tomorrow, 8/28.
Reminder, car is in N.J., we live on L.I. N.Y.
Plan and simple, due to this needed modification we are now responsible for an insurance claim (that is growing, and we are still working with them to get our towing bill and cab fare reimbursed), an "accident" on our record, and payments on a highend SUV that we are still without.
Lexus Corporate has determined "this case is closed, we hold no responsibility."
Thank you for asking and your support.
Live and learn, hope this does not happen to any other RX owner.
Old 08-28-09, 05:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Just ti be fair Joe, I dont think any car company would take responsibility for something like this.
Old 08-28-09, 06:18 AM
Joe G
Driver

Default 2010 RX 350 design flaw

Originally Posted by The G Man
Just ti be fair Joe, I dont think any car company would take responsibility for something like this.
Fair is fair. We will continue to deal with our insurance company.
Feeling is as the owner of this SUV we should not have to install the screen/mesh to prevent this from happening again, but will.
We know perfection is hard, but improving a vehichle to be better is what we would hope Lexus would strive for.
Again, this would be an easy fix so the risk would be eliminated.
Thanks again.
Old 08-28-09, 12:35 PM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a screen covering available for the '10 RX350? I would also be interested in installing one. This sounds scary
Old 08-28-09, 12:51 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajs
Is there a screen covering available for the '10 RX350? I would also be interested in installing one. This sounds scary
I made mine out of two pieces of gutter guard for my 05 RX. It was easy to install in it, but I've not looked at my 2010 yet for ease of install.
Old 08-28-09, 01:52 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4482
I made mine out of two pieces of gutter guard for my 05 RX. It was easy to install in it, but I've not looked at my 2010 yet for ease of install.
Here's the thread on how the gutter guard was used to protect the condenser on the 2nd generation models. I just checked my 10 RX and it looks like it might be a little harder to do, but I'm sure it can be done.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...n-air-dam.html

Old 08-28-09, 02:10 PM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! This is a great idea.
Old 08-28-09, 03:33 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe G
We recently took our 2010 RX350 on its 1st road trip. While traveling on the New Jersey Tpke, normal road conditions, something came up through the front lower air intake ducts under front bumper, damaging the radiator.
This caused the SUV to overheat. We had to be towed to a Lexus dealer in N.J., and then had to take a cab home to L.I. New York.
We feel this highend SUV should be better equiped with some modification to change the design of intake ducts or a possible guard in front of the radiator to prevent any damage. We feel strongly that the Lexus engineering team should consider looking into this matter.
Lexus is taking no responsibility for this repair.
Along with our towing bill, cab fare, the repair costs are mounting up.
All we did was take our highend SUV on a road trip which it is designed to do. Original mileage is 3000, purchased in February 2009.
If this happend to us, it can happen to another RX owner.

I feel for your frustration and can understand in this case how Lexus could maybe make a goodwill repair to keep you happy. Especially if the car is brand new.

I highly doubt that what happened was a engineering defect. My brother had a rock hit his air conditioning unit in his Sienna cause the AC to die. This happened in the first few weeks over ownership. It has never happened again. It was bad luck and that is what I see in your case.

Is insurance covering this? If so, then that is the right thing to do.
Old 09-01-09, 04:39 PM
Joe G
Driver

Default Re: update

Update fellow members – received a call from the N.J. Jersey dealership – repair was elevated to taking the engine out of RX350 to get to the cylinder heads.
Now it has been elevated to possibly replacing the engine completely since there is cylinder head gasket damage. We will know more tomorrow, 9/2.
No one wants to hear news like this regarding a brand new vehicle, 6 months old, 3000 original miles.
For our trouble, Lexus customer care sent us a coupon for a free oil change.
The coupon can only be redeemed at the New Jersey dealership.
When we called to explained to them (which we already have) we LIVE in New York, they said “will see what we can do.” To date, they have not called us back, spoke with them on 8/29.
Upset, you bet.
Lexus owners, we feel this simple modification is needed to eliminate the potential of doing this much damage to anyone else’s 2010 RX350.
The cost of this repair will rest with our insurance company.
Old 09-01-09, 07:04 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Woa!!!

That's crazy. All this damage caused by a flying 'magic rock'? Did it take out the A/C compressor and the engine head gasket in one shot???

Something smells funny here, sorry to add salt to your wounds.
Old 09-01-09, 07:10 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Wow, I know NJ roads suck but WTF? How about submitting the claim to the state? I know, fat chance.

Please keep us updated. I'm curious about what dealer you're working with. Some are better than others around here. And I'd tell Lexus to stick that coupon where the sun don't shine. What a joke, or rather, what an insult. I'd keep on them until they do the right thing. Good luck.
Old 09-01-09, 07:31 PM
Joe G
Driver

Originally Posted by data2009
Woa!!!

That's crazy. All this damage caused by a flying 'magic rock'? Did it take out the A/C compressor and the engine head gasket in one shot???

Something smells funny here, sorry to add salt to your wounds.
I think you are confusing us with another member who had their A/C compressor taken out by a "magic rock."
We could only have "wished" it would have taken out our A/C Compressor instead of the raditor, less damage.
Remember, BOTH units are exposed due to these air ducts being too large.
Thanks for responding.
We appreciate the support.
Old 09-01-09, 07:39 PM
Joe G
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Wow, I know NJ roads suck but WTF? How about submitting the claim to the state? I know, fat chance.

Please keep us updated. I'm curious about what dealer you're working with. Some are better than others around here. And I'd tell Lexus to stick that coupon where the sun don't shine. What a joke, or rather, what an insult. I'd keep on them until they do the right thing. Good luck.
To be very honest, the N.J. dealership has been more courteous and professional than the dealership we purchased the car from.
You CANNOT make this stuff up.
We will keep the members of this club updated.
Thank you for your well wishes, we really appreciate it and taking the time to respond.
Old 09-01-09, 07:45 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Joe G, I swear my 04 RX has more dings in the radiator than yours with no ill effects. Unfortunately you might be the first of many (I fear) that will have the same problem like the loose bumper. I hope your RX gets better soon and Lexus finally steps up.
Old 09-01-09, 08:40 PM
pulp
Rookie

head gasket damage? i feel your pain, that is an insane amount of damage for whats supposed to be a minor incident. was that caused by the rock itself or by overheating?

i was on a mountain road trip a month ago and noticed that the heat indicator went up a little from where it usually sits during steep climbs, i thought it was weird at the time since my experience with other cars is that the heat indicator never moves once it reaches its operating position.

if that damage was caused by overheating then its much more worrisome.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX 350 design flaw