RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX 350 design flaw

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09 | 05:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Joe, sorry to hear about your misfortune. All that damage could have been cause by the engine over heating. You did shut off the engine when you got the high temp alarm right?

Anyway, since your RX is still new, I would ask for a new engine instead of a remanufacture on and ask for a extended power train warranty as well. Since it is your insurance company paying for this, it might be tough to get the above items.
Old 09-02-09 | 08:08 AM
HaimK
Driver School Candidate

Default add to the list Problem pairing Nokia E71 with my 2010 RX350

Problem pairing Nokia E71 with my 2010 RX350

1 Pairing with the Nokia E71 works

2 After pairing the phone gets fully connected. I can make phone calls and the phone's contact list becomes visible on the car's display.

3 When I shut down the car and restart, reconnection is established for about one second, but then disconnects immediately.

4 After a second shut down/restart of the car, no reconnection happens (even not for a second)

5 The only way for it to work I need to pair the phone each time i get into the car.

I never had a problem with my 2007 RX350 using the same phone and I don't really feel like changing my E71.

Thanks, Haim
Old 09-02-09 | 03:55 PM
Joe G
Driver

Update – received word today the engine needs to be replaced on our 2010 RX350.
Bad enough, a new engine will not be available until November, yes November.
Where does that leave us? Sick to our stomachs and out of a brand new vehicle.
Again, all we did was drive this SUV on the road, what is was meant to do.
If some road debris can take this vehicle out and do so much damage, something is wrong, VERY wrong. Lexus RX owners beware, this nightmare can happened to you.
We will not name dealers YET, but John, Service Manager from N.J., you know who you are, and we cannot thank you enough for all your efforts. You are a stand up guy and we appreciate all you have done to try and accommodate us.
Due to the rules of the club we cannot adequately put into words the “assistance” or should we say “customer care” we have received from the dealership on L.I. whom we purchased our RX from, but will when the time is right.
We will not rest until we feel the right thing is done.
By the way, we did hear from Lexus Corporate regarding “the coupon.” It can now be redeemed at any Lexus dealership. We have let them know, that we feel, this is not enough. And yes, they have been informed every step of way regarding this repair and how it had been elevated. Truth be told, the coupon was an offer made to us when they thought is was just the radiator that needed to be replaced.
We all are aware of the price of this SUV with options and extras.
For the RX350 owner to be responsible for this easy fix is absurd.
Please any club member who disagrees with us, do not respond to this blog.
We have been through ENOUGH. We respectively agree to disagree.
Thank you.
Old 09-02-09 | 04:15 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Joe... check your PM.
Old 09-02-09 | 04:39 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe G
Update – received word today the engine needs to be replaced on our 2010 RX350.
Bad enough, a new engine will not be available until November, yes November.
Where does that leave us? Sick to our stomachs and out of a brand new vehicle.
Again, all we did was drive this SUV on the road, what is was meant to do.
If some road debris can take this vehicle out and do so much damage, something is wrong, VERY wrong. Lexus RX owners beware, this nightmare can happened to you.
We will not name dealers YET, but John, Service Manager from N.J., you know who you are, and we cannot thank you enough for all your efforts. You are a stand up guy and we appreciate all you have done to try and accommodate us.
Due to the rules of the club we cannot adequately put into words the “assistance” or should we say “customer care” we have received from the dealership on L.I. whom we purchased our RX from, but will when the time is right.
We will not rest until we feel the right thing is done.
By the way, we did hear from Lexus Corporate regarding “the coupon.” It can now be redeemed at any Lexus dealership. We have let them know, that we feel, this is not enough. And yes, they have been informed every step of way regarding this repair and how it had been elevated. Truth be told, the coupon was an offer made to us when they thought is was just the radiator that needed to be replaced.
We all are aware of the price of this SUV with options and extras.
For the RX350 owner to be responsible for this easy fix is absurd.
Please any club member who disagrees with us, do not respond to this blog.
We have been through ENOUGH. We respectively agree to disagree.
Thank you.
I'm not an auto mechanic, but for the life of me I can't understand how a damaged condenser can do damage to the engine. I fail to see the connection between the condenser and the engine blowing based on the facts you've told us. I'm beginning to wonder from what you've told us Joe, if the engine did not just BLOW, and the condenser, if damaged, is a secondary problem. It appears clear to me from what you've told us that Lexus should be responsible for the new engine.

Maybe if there's a mechanic on this forum he can shed some light on this?

Old 09-02-09 | 04:40 PM
ExileLakai
Pole Position

Sorry I can believe a engine won't be available until November. I hope your RX will give you years of great service after this debacle. Good luck and keep your wits about your. I would right a letter to Lexus corporate about this situation. You might be able to get someone there that way.

Last edited by ExileLakai; 09-03-09 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-02-09 | 04:42 PM
ExileLakai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4482
I'm not an auto mechanic, but for the life of me I can't understand how a damaged condenser can do damage to the engine. I fail to see the connection between the condenser and the engine blowing based on the facts you've told us. I'm beginning to wonder from what you've told us Joe, if the engine did not just BLOW, and the condenser, if damaged, is a secondary problem. It appears clear to me from what you've told us that Lexus should be responsible for the new engine.

Maybe if there's a mechanic on this forum he can shed some light on this?

Thats b/c thats the radiator... the rock did not hit the A/C. the radiator got hit, leaked out the coolant, argo the engine overheated and blew the head gasket. case done end of story.

really sucks it happened to a brand new car
Old 09-02-09 | 05:23 PM
Joe G
Driver

Originally Posted by tazdevl
Joe... check your PM.
explain please.
Old 09-02-09 | 05:24 PM
Joe G
Driver

Originally Posted by ExileLakai
Sorry I can believe a engine won't be available until November. I hope your RX will give you years of great service after this debacle. Good luck and keep your wits about your. I would right a letter to Lexus corporate about this situation. You might be able to get someone where that way.
thank you.
Old 09-02-09 | 05:25 PM
Joe G
Driver

Originally Posted by ExileLakai
Thats b/c thats the radiator... the rock did not hit the A/C. the radiator got hit, leaked out the coolant, argo the engine overheated and blew the head gasket. case done end of story.

really sucks it happened to a brand new car
and thank you again.
Old 09-02-09 | 06:00 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Joe G, I'm shocked.

If you can, please register a complaint with NHTSA. It sounds like a defect. You said it yourself, "If some road debris can take this vehicle out and do so much damage, something is wrong, VERY wrong." You might also want to keep a detailed chronology of events. I can't say "been there, done that" exactly but I have gone through the lemon law. There is nothing worse than your dream car turning into a nightmare.

Sorry this whole experience has been and continues to be so overwhelming. Please know I wish you the best of luck and hope you can get resolution/restitution soon.
Old 09-02-09 | 07:54 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Really feel bad for you. Thats a bummer to loose a brand new car from such a freak accident. I do find it odd the amount of damage caused, but clearly the engine must've overheated when the radiator went. Wish you the best of luck, not better, but best of luck that no such freak accidents happen again.

On a side note, I agree, a simple wire mesh will solve the problem from occurring again, or diminish it significantly, but with that said, there are plenty of cars on the road today with more severely exposed radiator then the RX. Reminds me of my first car, a Chrysler Sebring where the entire lower half (about 6 inches) was completely unprotected from the ground in a scoop region. Never had problems with Radiator problems, although that might of just been luck.
Old 09-02-09 | 08:55 PM
afpj
Instructor

Sorry to hear about that radiator and engine. It seems the the radiator is not too robust on these cars (just like the bumpers), and on top of that aluminum engines don't like excessive heat at least compared to the old iron block.

FYI, I couldn't do the stiff mesh screen protection as I did on our 05 RX as posted on the previous link. Instead, I used Soffit mesh....easier to handle and without having to remove the plastic trim.

NHTSA complaint is a good idea. That is indeed a safety issue now.
Old 09-03-09 | 05:37 AM
ajs
Driver

Originally Posted by afpj
FYI, I couldn't do the stiff mesh screen protection as I did on our 05 RX as posted on the previous link. Instead, I used Soffit mesh....easier to handle and without having to remove the plastic trim.
Can you give us more details about what you did? A photo would be great!

Thanks.
Old 09-03-09 | 05:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Joe, how far did you drive you RX after it overheated?

Quick Reply: 2010 RX 350 design flaw