RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX 350 design flaw

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 07:24 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
4482, what size of gutter grill did you use on your RX? obviously, if the holes are large enough, road debris (eg: small rocks) could still get through. on the flip side, if the gutter holes are too small, i wonder if that would restrict air flow?
Stormforge: I went to Home Depot and bought just one 6"x3' gutter guard model 122-225 (SKU #808857) and cut it as needed. ($1.94) There are two hinges on it that come right off. I cut it in half for ease of installation. You sure won't need all of it. If you check it out you'll see the holes are about perfect for catching debris, but big enough to let the air flow through. I drove from Ohio to Seattle and back after installing it, with no problems. After I cut it to fit, I painted it with black rustoleum before installing it.

Again, this was done on my 05 RX, and was very easy to do. It looks like I just may have enough guard remaining to do my new 10 RX, once I figure out how to do it. As it's very strong, convex, and galvanized, I hope I can use it without the need to go to a more flexible weaker material.
Old 09-04-09, 08:15 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Just ti be fair Joe, I dont think any car company would take responsibility for something like this.
No they likely won't, nor will they admit the design flaw, however, in a future model update, one might see mesh mysteriously appear in that lower grill opening.

I followed a situtation very similar when I owned a 2006 Honda Odyssey. Several complaints regarding rock/debris damage to condenser. Honda said too bad, not our fault, road debris etc. However, in the 2008 onwards model, a mesh has been introduced to the lower grill.

So, you can look at it two ways - vehicle manufacturer sucks because they won't admit flaw and do a free repair, OR vehicle manufacturer is great because they redesigned the bumper to fix the flaw.

I imagine if there are enough reports of this happening, Lexus may introduce a screen in a later model update.

Last edited by rcy; 09-04-09 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-04-09, 08:23 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4482
I'm not an auto mechanic, but for the life of me I can't understand how a damaged condenser can do damage to the engine. I fail to see the connection between the condenser and the engine blowing based on the facts you've told us. I'm beginning to wonder from what you've told us Joe, if the engine did not just BLOW, and the condenser, if damaged, is a secondary problem. It appears clear to me from what you've told us that Lexus should be responsible for the new engine.

Maybe if there's a mechanic on this forum he can shed some light on this?

No need for a mechanic - all you need to do is read the original post properly. He said RADIATOR, not CONDENSER. Blown radiator, engine overheats, head gasket and cylinder damage. 1+1=2.
Old 09-04-09, 08:27 AM
klegrow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe G.....in case you didn't see this, check out the thread below. It seems you aren't the only one with this issue.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ot-better.html

Last edited by klegrow; 09-04-09 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Wrong Link
Old 09-04-09, 09:30 AM
Joe G
Driver

Originally Posted by klegrow
Joe G.....in case you didn't see this, check out the thread below. It seems you aren't the only one with this issue.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ot-better.html
Wow.

Hey if some good can come from our misfortune, like Lexus making this modification to a future RX350 down the road so be it.
thanks.
Old 09-04-09, 11:43 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Joe G, you bet your a$$ my dealer is going to hear about what happened to you. And the bumper too.
Old 09-04-09, 12:15 PM
Joe G
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Joe G, you bet your a$$ my dealer is going to hear about what happened to you. And the bumper too.
Thanks. When the time is right my dealership will receive a letter for their lack of customer care..The N.J. dealership will also receive a letter, as I have mentioned they have a service manager who is top notch.
To keep it positive, Monday will be 1 month we are without our RX
(hopefully!) 2 more months to go.
I am thinking about getting in touch with President Obama to see if any "clunkers" remain for me to use over the next two months since my wife and I both work full time.
thanks again for the support.
Old 09-04-09, 02:02 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rcy
No need for a mechanic - all you need to do is read the original post properly. He said RADIATOR, not CONDENSER. Blown radiator, engine overheats, head gasket and cylinder damage. 1+1=2.
RCY: I stand corrected on the condenser/radiator problem. By the same token it's hard to understand how the radiator could be damaged without the condenser being involved being 99% of it sits in front of the radiator. I did see in checking my RX this afternoon, a very small part of the radiator does extend below the condenser at the very bottom. At the same time I noticed the main grill itself has wide openings for debris to enter.

Stormforge: After removing the plastic cover over the radiator area, I was able to get to the bottom to install the gutter guard pretty easy. As the pieces I had were rather short, and left over from my 05 RX install, I pulled them out. I'll go to Home Depot and get a full piece of the gutter guard and cut and install it in the near future. At least now I know it can be done, and rather easy.
Old 09-05-09, 05:57 AM
klegrow
Rookie

Storm, is this the same for us with the 450h, or is it just an issue on the 350? I know there have been some design and quality control differences between the two models.
Old 09-05-09, 08:30 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joe G
Thanks. When the time is right my dealership will receive a letter for their lack of customer care..The N.J. dealership will also receive a letter, as I have mentioned they have a service manager who is top notch.
To keep it positive, Monday will be 1 month we are without our RX
(hopefully!) 2 more months to go.
I am thinking about getting in touch with President Obama to see if any "clunkers" remain for me to use over the next two months since my wife and I both work full time.
thanks again for the support.
Joe,
please forgive my ignorance, but so far I do not see that legendary Lexus service everyone is raving about. Or does it only come because of higher premiums charged for maintenance visits. So far, the treatment you received, from both customer service and the dealers is subpar at best. Given, of course, blown engine replacement is not an oil change, I would expect at least a loaner for some time. 3 months is propably unrealistic, although it seems the other are getting loaners for extensive periods (or perhaps there are always details that are skipped). At least your insurance should have a rental coverage. It may not cover 100%, but it did cover 50% for me over a monthly rental a couple of years back. There I learned that Corolla SE could be a fun ride and family hauler.
Anyway, best of luck in getting your RX back and 'as good as new'.
I'd still be trying with Toyota to admit a faulty design, but I understand it's easier said than done...

Last edited by data2009; 09-05-09 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-05-09, 12:00 PM
Joe G
Driver

You are not ignorant, right on as we see it but to explain a little more
at least the New Jersey dealership service advisor kept us informed every step of the way returned phone calls, ECT. Car is 130 miles away from where we live. Even went so far as trying to get us a loaner car once it was determined we needed a new engine. Since this is a not warranted repair loaner car is out of the question. Since the beginning of this incident the dealership we purchased the car from has said, “we cannot help you call 1800Lexus.”
Again due to the fact that this hit is a not warranted repair.
We also just found out, maybe some of you realized this, but we did not, our car is now blackballed since there is now a carfax on it stating insurance paid repair. It cannot be sold through a dealership as a used car once repairs are made.
Man are we taking a hit on this brand new 6-month-old 3000 original mile SUV. All due to some road debris and a possible mesh screen the might of helped eliminate it.
Thank you.
Old 09-05-09, 01:52 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

My impression is Lexus customer service is the bad guy, not the NJ dealer. And the LI dealer doesn't want to get involved, sad to say.

I visited my dealer today. They never heard about this or the loose bumper. Well, now they know. I checked over the 350s (Canada) and 450hs (Japan) they had. I am definitely going to do something about the air vent when mine comes in. There were no loose bumpers.
Old 09-05-09, 02:08 PM
jacksonlui
Rookie

any pictures of the installation and SKU number for the parts at Home Depot?
this might save a lot of people here on the forum
thanks in advance
Jack
Old 09-05-09, 02:48 PM
Joe G
Driver

Originally Posted by jacksonlui
any pictures of the installation and SKU number for the parts at Home Depot?
this might save a lot of people here on the forum
thanks in advance
Jack
check out the new thread entitled RX350 Air Dam Modification by AA40D
Great info and pictures of the instal.
Old 09-05-09, 04:08 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Joe G:

From what you said about the dealership I have a good idea who it is. We bought four vehicles from them. Service and sales all are treated very properly. I do 90% of service at a dealer near where I work for convenience.
I have sent people to see this dealer also and would not hesitate to do it again and again.They will even deliver/ship your car nationwide. They have there own in house driver with truck and trailer.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX 350 design flaw