RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cheaper not better

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 12:43 PM
airsail
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cheaper not better

I purchased my fourth Lexus in April 2009.
It is a 2010 RX 350.
From the first day the fit and finish has been an issue. The front windows transmit road noise. The worst I have ever experienced.
The Nav system is all but useless. The original data-base could not recognize a fifty year old primary road upon which I was traveling. The Nav display would, "lock up," while on a route. The Nav system changes routes unbidden, from the selected route of freeways and toll roads to tertiary roads. While on an entrance ramp to a major highway, the voice prompt states, "make a legal U-turn." The vented seats barely blow tepid air, unlike the 2007 ES 350 that I owned.
Although I had barely four thousand miles on the vehicle, I took it in for its five thousand mile service in preparation of a planned vacation by road. Five days into the trip, one week after the service call, the air conditioning failed. The vents locked on recirculate. The sun roof made loud rushing air noises, demonstrating that the spoiler which raises is poorly designed. The road side assist representative was more obstructive than helpful. She kept me on hold, while cell phone roaming in Canada, initially for half an hour, although I was clear as to where I was in Canada, she was directing me to a Lexus dealer two thousand miles away. She was rude, when corrected, left me on hold for another half-hour. She came back with the telephone number of a Toyota dealer in the proper city. Although I asked her to repeat the name and spell the name of the dealership, she could or would not. As this was a Friday afternoon there was no answer. I contacted my dealer. The service manager searched for a near-by Toyota dealer, as the nearest Lexus dealer was in another Province, one thousand miles away. The Toyota dealer he provided was closed for the weekend.
The free air temperature was near 90 Fahrenheit. Due to health issues air conditioning is a medical necessity. I had no choice, I terminated the vacation commencing a sixteen hundred road mile return. I brought the vehicle to my dealer. Eight days later it is still there. The alleged air conditioning failure was a magic rock through the grille which destroyed the compressor, later described as a condenser line. The rock was magic as it bypassed every shield and grille member leaving no evidence of its passing.
Lexus authorized the change of the side window glass from two-ply to four-ply. The 2009 RX loaner, which I am driving, has no road noise. The front seats are equipped with fold-up arm rests, a better design than the padded bucket top, which is nowhere near your elbow. The twelve volt power receptacles are readily accessible, unlike the ones which are buried beneath the console liner in the 2010. The side molding on the 2009 is sculpted to the car, enhancing the lines. The accessory moldings I purchased with the 2010, are after maket press and stick, which were not attached properly at the date of delivery, requiring two visits to the dealer to accomodate the shop schedule of the sub-contractor they use.
New is not better. Lexus is trading on its reputation, which the 2010 does not match. The 2010 is a cheap replacement for the 2009.
Old 08-26-09, 01:53 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really seems as if you have had horrible luck with your new RX. I am not sure about the RX350 (since I do not own one) but I can assure you that the RX450h is quieter and in almost every respect better than the previous RX400h. I can't imagine that the RX350 is likewise not improved over the previous generation.

I bet that most here will disagree with you that the new RX350 is not better than the previous generation.
Old 08-26-09, 02:20 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too find the second generation RX to be quieter. I find the noise to be engine noise as did the sales person riding with me.
Old 08-26-09, 02:41 PM
MJMeucci
Driver

Having owned a second gen RX350 and a 3rd gen 450h I am actually surprised by your experience-- actually have had the opposite. I am really sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble, hopefully Lexus lives up to their name and reputation and does everything they can to make your situation right.

I think that some items are a matter of preference- the arm-rests for instance. While I agree that the fold down arm rests are much closer to your elbow- having clocked nearly 50k on my 07 350 the arm rests never seemed big enough to keep me satisfied, the larger padded console on the 3rd gen is a step in the right direction but not quite right, I think that part of the console switch was to introduce more in cabin storage, the console on the 2010 is cavernous compared to the small console on the second gen.

The body molding too I believe is somewhat a matter of preference- the lack of side molding is something that Lexus has moved towards with the "L-Finesse" designs, while it looks good I know the day will come when someone is going to let their door fly into mine and it won't look as good anymore.

As for the A/C it sounds like you may have a fluke- my complaint about my 2010 is that my A/C is almost too cold, I generally ran my '07 at around 70 degrees and was comfortable even on the warmest days, on the 2010 I am consistently running the A/C up around 78, anything else is frigid. Same goes for the wind noise, I was actually just commenting to one of my carpool-mates that the road/wind noise on the 2010 is much less than the 2007. I realize that there are noise differences due to the fact that my 2010 is a hybrid vs. the gas powered '07 but it really sounds like you have a bad apple here.

Do you know if your RX was manufactured in Canada or Japan?
Old 08-26-09, 05:32 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that your RX10 is having the serious problems. You're just like another NY driver here, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sign-flaw.html , possibly got the objects to damage the car's components.

If you travel in Atlantic areas in Canada, you probabaly won't be able to find any Lexus dealers, except driving toward to Montreal or Halifax. You even cannot see any Lexus vehicles on the roads.

Wish your dealer will fix them and provide the satisfied solutions for you. Good luck.
Old 08-26-09, 05:40 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by MJMeucci
Do you know if your RX was manufactured in Canada or Japan?
Whether it was manufactured in Japan or Canada makes no difference at all. The quality control is virtually the same, although I can see why you'd think one made overseas by the crazy Japanese would be a bit less prone to problematics.

I hope Lexus does you right, however. I'm sorry about your experience, it's the first I've heard. Lexus is often praised for the RX.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-26-09 at 09:10 PM. Reason: updated derogatory term
Old 08-26-09, 09:04 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

this appears to be an outlier situation--try the "lemon" route"?

My wife loves our 450--perhaps moreso once we figure out all the technology.
Old 08-26-09, 10:50 PM
MJMeucci
Driver

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Whether it was manufactured in Japan or Canada makes no difference at all. The quality control is virtually the same, although I can see why you'd think one made overseas by the crazy Japanese would be a bit less prone to problematics.
I see that you are one of our friendly neighbors to the north so please don't take this the wrong way but I beg to differ, while quality control may virtually be the same out of the Lexus vehicles that I have owned I have had far fewer problems with the ones that were manufactured in Japan when compared to those that were manufactured in Canada-- this was a major factor that I took into consideration when buying the 450h, I drive mostly hwy so a hybrid was not really necessary but purchasing a hybrid was the only way to guarantee that my truck was manufactured in japan. My 1st gen RX and 1st gen GX were both manufactured in JP and I had/have (still have the GX) no problems with fit/finish/quality. I had two 2nd gen RX's over the past 5 years, both manufactured in Canada and I had a lot more problems, clips breaking, rattles, larger panel gaps, condensation buildup ing the headlamps, nothing major and always fixed quickly by Lexus, but noticeable differences. The RX I traded in for my 450h had 32k on the odo and the fit/finish had degraded significantly since I brought her home with 8mi on the clock. My '03 GX w/ almost 100k is still in amazing shape and just as solid as the day I bought it-- I know other members have expressed their concerns with CDN build models too so I don't think that I am alone on this one.

Again-- not my intention to start a war here, at the end of the day JP or CDN built, the RX is still a great truck and it sounds like he has a lemon on his hands.
Old 08-27-09, 05:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

airsail,
You are the 2nd person who has a object bypass the grill and damge the engine while on the highway. I wonder if this will become a real problem for Lexus. My wife choose another SUV over the 2010 RX and we use to have a last gen RX, but even in the test drive, we could tell the new RX was quieter. Some RX have wind noise coming thru the A pillar, maybe yours is one of them. BTW, I did not know that RX have a 2 ply and a 4 ply acoustic window, maybe the 4 ply is for the hybrid.
Old 08-28-09, 07:58 PM
HHRP
Driver School Candidate

SOrry to hear about all these problems.
How could you tell that there's an excessive noise from windshield? Was it so obvious?
Old 08-28-09, 10:06 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Originally Posted by MJMeucci
I see that you are one of our friendly neighbors to the north so please don't take this the wrong way but I beg to differ, while quality control may virtually be the same out of the Lexus vehicles that I have owned I have had far fewer problems with the ones that were manufactured in Japan when compared to those that were manufactured in Canada-- this was a major factor that I took into consideration when buying the 450h, I drive mostly hwy so a hybrid was not really necessary but purchasing a hybrid was the only way to guarantee that my truck was manufactured in japan. My 1st gen RX and 1st gen GX were both manufactured in JP and I had/have (still have the GX) no problems with fit/finish/quality. I had two 2nd gen RX's over the past 5 years, both manufactured in Canada and I had a lot more problems, clips breaking, rattles, larger panel gaps, condensation buildup ing the headlamps, nothing major and always fixed quickly by Lexus, but noticeable differences. The RX I traded in for my 450h had 32k on the odo and the fit/finish had degraded significantly since I brought her home with 8mi on the clock. My '03 GX w/ almost 100k is still in amazing shape and just as solid as the day I bought it-- I know other members have expressed their concerns with CDN build models too so I don't think that I am alone on this one.

Again-- not my intention to start a war here, at the end of the day JP or CDN built, the RX is still a great truck and it sounds like he has a lemon on his hands.
I agree with you. Car real made by human being instead of machine. Machine help making car but most job was real done by human. The different between human being and machine is human can make mistake. QA/QC is very important but very difficult too for some product like car. Most people select lexus because this car has good quality/relability in history but that doesn't mean lexus wont fail in 1000 mile but the chance supposes be smaller than other car. when buy a car people should test drive the car which they are going to buy before negotiate the price. cars are different each other. sorry to hear people's bad experience
Old 09-04-09, 07:48 AM
klegrow
Rookie

I have to agree about the models manufactured in Japan being better. There is a huge thread on here about bumpers falling off on the new 350, but I didn't hear of any of those issues on the 450h. It just seems like the quality control is better in Japan. Now this is no offense to Canada, just what I have noticed on the posts.
Old 09-04-09, 12:02 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Given a choice between a car built in Japan or Canada, I would pick Japan.
Old 11-05-10, 01:08 AM
Sufibon
Driver School Candidate

Im not sure if posting here is the right place. I have a 2007 RX 350 and it is quiet. The problem is that all 4 windows stick to the window moldings and actually thump or pop when you use the power windows to bring them down. They have been cleaned and brought back to the dealer several times. The last time they basically told my husband its a design flaw and that Lexus has come out with new moldings, but that its not covered under our warranty and that we should contact Lexus. Does this sound right and has anyone else had this problem.
I am worried that #1. the motor may go out on each of these windows because the sticking into the molding is severe and #2. that the windows themselves at some point may explode and shatter into my childrens faces! I live in South Florida so it is hot here, pretty much year round and the car is kept in the driveway or garages. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 11-07-10, 12:31 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

are you out of your 50k 48 months warranty ? If not then take it to another dealer and see if you can get them to fix it for you.

Quick Reply: Cheaper not better