RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rustling noise from driver side window/door area

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-09, 02:04 PM
lmm2009
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this review at Edmund website;

----

Annoying rattling noise

Written by: first lexus on 08/26/2009

Vehicle

2010 Lexus RX 350 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Review

I thought I am the only one, but I have to agree with the review written by on 08/10/2009. I also noticed a very annoying rattling noise from the driver side seat belt buckle area. I brought the car to the dealership but cannot duplicate it. I really hate it because the problem comes and goes. We need more people to report this problem and have this problem recalled by Lexus. It seems that RX350 is now a mass produced car and the build quality doesn't live up to the hype. A bit disappointing.
Old 09-08-09, 02:55 PM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lmm2009
I saw this review at Edmund website;

----

Annoying rattling noise

Written by: first lexus on 08/26/2009

Vehicle

2010 Lexus RX 350 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Review

I thought I am the only one, but I have to agree with the review written by on 08/10/2009. I also noticed a very annoying rattling noise from the driver side seat belt buckle area. I brought the car to the dealership but cannot duplicate it. I really hate it because the problem comes and goes. We need more people to report this problem and have this problem recalled by Lexus. It seems that RX350 is now a mass produced car and the build quality doesn't live up to the hype. A bit disappointing.
just had tailgate sound fix (rattle un bumps), now hear it on passenger door..guess I will get it fixed soon, so I will let u all now where was the problem (me dealer is very good on finding and fixing rattles..)
Old 09-08-09, 03:31 PM
klegrow
Rookie

Is anyone noticing a difference between these issues with the 450h for the 350?
Old 09-09-09, 06:09 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i started another thread on the a couple days ago, hadn't seen this one

i have the same issue, mine is a high pitch rattle from drivers door

it comes & goes, it appears to occur more frequently on bumpy roads, at higher speeds, & when my elbow or knee is resting against the door

really starting to bug the hell out of me

does anyone have service manual or access to toyota's service manual web site

i'd like to see a door assembly image
Old 09-09-09, 07:12 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by klegrow
Is anyone noticing a difference between these issues with the 450h for the 350?
I have an RX 450h and haven't noticed anything unnatural yet. I've had it since late June and have just south of 4000 miles. It's performing as advertised in all aspects. I'm very pleased with it.
Old 09-09-09, 12:32 PM
b67
Rookie

I have this and had the dealer look at it @ 1000k service. It sounded like it was the upper door or headliner.

They had the car for 4 days and came back with the fix being to insulate the B pillar - saying the door was rubbing the pillar. It kind of helped but on a bumpy road It still happens - and it is an annoying rattle.

Side note, I think a mechanic possibly took my car home - my wife found a little girls hair "Thingie" in the back seat, and the backs of the front seats had some kids shoes scuff marks (nothing major that didn't wipe off easily) - The car didn't have any excessive miles on it but wondering if that is normal, for them to let an employee take the car home?
Old 09-09-09, 01:57 PM
pulp
Rookie

not sure if this is the same issue, but i had a rattle coming from the doors which i eventually isolated to the handles above the door.

my fix was to spray some WD-40 carefully on the handle hinges which successfully silenced the rattle.
Old 09-09-09, 02:01 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b67
I have this and had the dealer look at it @ 1000k service. It sounded like it was the upper door or headliner.

They had the car for 4 days and came back with the fix being to insulate the B pillar - saying the door was rubbing the pillar. It kind of helped but on a bumpy road It still happens - and it is an annoying rattle.

Side note, I think a mechanic possibly took my car home - my wife found a little girls hair "Thingie" in the back seat, and the backs of the front seats had some kids shoes scuff marks (nothing major that didn't wipe off easily) - The car didn't have any excessive miles on it but wondering if that is normal, for them to let an employee take the car home?

Completely unacceptable. I'd contact the service manager and general manager of the dealership.
Old 09-09-09, 07:41 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tazdevl
Completely unacceptable. I'd contact the service manager and general manager of the dealership.
I completely agree with Tazdevl. This would never happen at my dealership. The GM would flip out. Be sure to cover this in the survey you receive.
Old 09-10-09, 06:35 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by b67

after listening more closely yesterday, it does sound like the noise comes from around the B pillar

where did they insulate your vehicle?
Old 09-14-09, 08:15 AM
b67
Rookie

Originally Posted by jskennedy
after listening more closely yesterday, it does sound like the noise comes from around the B pillar

where did they insulate your vehicle?
Not sure, they just said b-pillar was insulated - I gave it a quick once over to make sure the fix didn't look like crap and couldn't even tell what they did. I know they insulated with felt.

A rattle did come back on bumpy roads shortly thereafter which turned out to be the abovehead rest handle - I pulled at it and stoped - hasn't made a sound for over a week.

My wife is the daily driver so I don't know the vehicle as well as you would your own daily driver.
Old 09-19-09, 02:52 PM
pleventi
Driver School Candidate

I also have an annoying rattle -- kind of a "tick tick tick" sound on mildly bumpy roads. It comes and goes, and is only really audible from the drivers seat -- wife thinks I'm crazy, but she's a foot shorter than me. B-pillar sounds like where it is now that you mention it.

I've taken it in twice with no luck, including at 1000 mile checkup. Will try again.

BTW, does anyone else have rattle from that removable bar in the trunk that can clip in and out with the privacy shield for the trunk? I'm convinced my rattle there comes from the flimsy mechansim that clicks it into place.

Also having steering wheel funny noise / grinding sound that I'll post about seperately.
Old 09-20-09, 05:47 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

finally made appt for dealer to investigate my noise wednesday
Old 09-20-09, 06:34 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

on wednesday I am taking my RX to dealer, for fixing noise. They found that is comming from passenger door inside panel (covering). When you pull it on some spot, the sound disapears. So on wednesday, they will fix this sound.
Old 09-22-09, 05:00 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Shut off your seat coolers and the noise will probably go away. They make a LOT of noise even on low. You will be amazed how much quieter the interior will be when you shut them off. The dealer says there is nothing that can be done about it.

Quick Reply: Rustling noise from driver side window/door area