RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Complaint on the 3rd generation ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 05:48 AM
klegrow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complaint on the 3rd generation ride

Okay, so after having a 2010 450h for two weeks, I have a major complaint on the ride. My wife has on 08 RX and hers is considerably softer. Every dip in the road is felt throughout the cabin. Smaller bumps and grooves are very smooth. It's actually so bad my wife doesn't want to ride in my car and prefers to take hers when we are together. Unfortunately, I did not pick up on this during the 5 minutes test drive they allowed. It's really sad that Lexus has actually gone to a worse riding suspension. My only conclusion is that they figured if people wanted they softer ride they would buy the air suspention. The problem with that is (to my understanding) you can only buy the air suspension in Japan and Europe.
Old 09-04-09, 06:31 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by klegrow
Okay, so after having a 2010 450h for two weeks, I have a major complaint on the ride. My wife has on 08 RX and hers is considerably softer. Every dip in the road is felt throughout the cabin. Smaller bumps and grooves are very smooth. It's actually so bad my wife doesn't want to ride in my car and prefers to take hers when we are together. Unfortunately, I did not pick up on this during the 5 minutes test drive they allowed. It's really sad that Lexus has actually gone to a worse riding suspension. My only conclusion is that they figured if people wanted they softer ride they would buy the air suspention. The problem with that is (to my understanding) you can only buy the air suspension in Japan and Europe.

Only two weeks? Let the suspension “smooth” it-self out over period of time/miles. All new cars will ride little firmer when new but as all components “break-in” it will smooth out the ride. We had 05RX and 10RX definitely rides little firmer but that is the result of many owners complaining about soft ride on gen2 RX. Lexus also incorporated 19’s for those wanting more “sportier” ride. Also check your tire pressure and adjust as needed and give it some time.
Old 09-04-09, 07:13 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

What kind of a dealer only "allows" a 5 minute test drive? I have not even purchased one yet, but I have taken two test drives of about 15 minutes each, both around the neighborhood and on expressways. The salesman always encourages me to come back for another drive any time.
Old 09-04-09, 07:16 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

I think that the ride quality of my 2010 RX is better than my '07 was, and the '07's ride quality was quite good. And I have the 19 inch wheels. I don't think there is any break-in period for the suspension. Is the ride quality of the 450H worse than the 350?

Last edited by rcf8000; 09-04-09 at 07:42 AM. Reason: addition
Old 09-04-09, 08:06 AM
tfischer

While I'm here, let me add that I thought the ride quality (and the seats) were improved over my '04 RX.
As for the 450H, the ride quality is different due to the weight of the batteries at the back, and due to a concomitantly different suspension. The car rides like it's heavier than a 330 or 350 because it is. It seems comfortable to me, but it also seems less agile.
I still can't get over the fact that the OP not only was limited to a 5 min test ride, he still bought the car. That's a pretty small sample for a pretty large purchase.
Old 09-04-09, 08:24 AM
klegrow
Rookie

Well, I was lucky to get that 5 minutes Fischer! I went to four dealers. Either they had none to drive or were unwilling to use them for demos because they were flying out the door. This one dealer basically let me take it around the block. I got a longer test drive in the 350, but it seemed to ride better.
Old 09-04-09, 10:48 AM
yanje03
Rookie

The ride feeling for RX2010 is more like a SUV than Sedan now but still better than GX. 19" wheel will make the car bump little bit more with better look.
Old 09-04-09, 12:01 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Klegrow, did you check the tire pressure after delivery? Sometimes the dealer forget to adjust them, all new cars are delivery to the dealer with tires at around 50 PSI.
The 2010 RX is suppose to ride stiffer to improve the handling, it is still consider a soft rider by most luxury SUV standard. Let the shocks and spring loosen up for a few month and it should get better.
Old 09-04-09, 02:11 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Klegrow, did you check the tire pressure after delivery? Sometimes the dealer forget to adjust them, all new cars are delivery to the dealer with tires at around 50 PSI.
The 2010 RX is suppose to ride stiffer to improve the handling, it is still consider a soft rider by most luxury SUV standard. Let the shocks and spring loosen up for a few month and it should get better.
What G said. You cannot compare rides when the wheels are different. 19" has a big impact on ride quality as does air pressure.
Old 09-05-09, 05:54 AM
klegrow
Rookie

They are all around 40 psi
Old 09-05-09, 06:16 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by klegrow
They are all around 40 psi
40 psi is too high. The psi should be about 32-33 when the tires are cold. That may be part of your problem with a stiff ride.
Old 09-05-09, 06:25 AM
tfischer

I agree. 40 is too high, but I often find that my car is returned to me with high tire pressure, especially when they have rotated the tires or have been working on the brakes. I guess they figure that air is free (still, but just wait). 32psi all around works pretty well for me, also.
Old 09-05-09, 07:32 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

My dealer used to always return my cars to me after servicing with too high tire pressure. I could tell it after driving only 100 yards from the dealership. I think they did that to stop complaints about the TPMS warning light coming on. Anyway, after I registered a formal complaint on one of their service evaluation surveys, they now return my cars with the proper tire pressure.
Old 09-05-09, 12:35 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

The pressure is too high. You may get better MPG, but you don't need this since yours is Hybrid.

I think RX suspension is too soft, all gen of RX has the soft suspension.

As for the air suspension, you might get it in '11 or '12. This is Lexus strategies.
Old 09-10-09, 11:12 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a loaner for a day and besides noticing it was more powerful and quieter than my '99RX, I didn't think the ride was any better or worse per say. If nothing else, I still felt it has the "Lexus" ride.. smooth and floaty with not great road feel. Then again, I don't need to feel the road, the roads around me stink.

As for pressure, 40PSI is too high. 35 tops I would think, even for 19".

Quick Reply: Complaint on the 3rd generation ride