RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 2010 Air Dam Modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 06:41 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe G
Radiator should be more protected which is why some of us were interested in the mesh screen. As I have said, RX350 is a great seller for Lexus, they should want to improve on the design. Hell, there letterhead reads "we pursue perfection."
Joe
Originally Posted by 4482
Joe is not the first guy to have damage done because of the design flaw with the air dam. It at least goes back to the 2005 RX. There were a number of cases of damage back then reported on this Lexus forum, and that's why I did the mod to my 2005 RX......................There have been far too many cases of damage done because of the air dam design flaw to say it's just bad luck that Joe had with his new 2010 RX.
Guys, you missed the point of my post. Your expectations need to be managed with respect to this issue. Risk Management needs to balance cost, solution, likelihood of occurrence etc.

The point is that even 100 vehicles who have experienced damage from debris on the road (not a Lexus problem) is a statistically small amount of the number of RX models sold. If you multiply that by the average number of trips made by each vehicle then the instances of this problem occurring are so insignificant it's not funny. To expect Lexus to change a design to cater for an extremely minor occurrence is pretty unrealistic. Any change would add cost to each vehicle which would be borne by all purchasers the majority of which will never experience this problem!

I've had an RX since 2003 and driven thousands of kilometre's over far worse roads then the US has (yes I've spent lots of time in the US) and not had this problem as have many other owners and members of this forum. It would be fair to say that any Forum Members who have had this problem are in the serious minority.

I feel for the OP who has had the problem but it really was just bad luck.
Old 03-10-10, 07:22 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Guys, you missed the point of my post. Your expectations need to be managed with respect to this issue. Risk Management needs to balance cost, solution, likelihood of occurrence etc.

The point is that even 100 vehicles who have experienced damage from debris on the road (not a Lexus problem) is a statistically small amount of the number of RX models sold. If you multiply that by the average number of trips made by each vehicle then the instances of this problem occurring are so insignificant it's not funny. To expect Lexus to change a design to cater for an extremely minor occurrence is pretty unrealistic. Any change would add cost to each vehicle which would be borne by all purchasers the majority of which will never experience this problem!

I've had an RX since 2003 and driven thousands of kilometre's over far worse roads then the US has (yes I've spent lots of time in the US) and not had this problem as have many other owners and members of this forum. It would be fair to say that any Forum Members who have had this problem are in the serious minority.

While I sympathize with Joe G (Bad luck can happen to anyone, example; I need a new W/S), I totally agree with you. I don't expect Lexus to spend untold amounts of money on this, so for my own peace of mind, I did my own repair for the price of a lunch and a few minutes of my time. Right now I'm thinking of that old expression, something about 'kicking' and a 'Dead Horse'
Old 03-10-10, 05:28 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For 3 dollars (US) cost for the mesh, and the peace of mind, it's a cheap price to pay to avoid any chance of having the bad luck.

If the mod is not needed I can't help but wonder why they sell the guard in the U.K. as an add-on mod for the RX ? Lexus should fix the design flaw they've known about for years. You can't protect a windshield, but it would be a very easy fix to design a better air dam below the bumper area.

If I can do it for 3 dollars, Lexus can do it for much less per car.
Old 03-10-10, 06:52 PM
mafialink
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said, dave

Old 03-10-10, 11:50 PM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Just got my RX front bumper modified with orginal acessory. It makes front of RX look muck better IMO...

Old 03-11-10, 02:45 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks really good from the front. kind of out of place from the side IMHO. maybe take a picture a little farther from the side (not that close up)

Did the dealer install it for you? Did they have to order it, how much did it cost, etc?
Old 03-11-10, 03:18 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Lex, that does look good. Buy the open area under the tag still looks 'open' for foreign objects to hit the condenser. Is there a screen of some time we can't see in there?
Old 03-11-10, 06:50 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Lex, that does look good. Buy the open area under the tag still looks 'open' for foreign objects to hit the condenser. Is there a screen of some time we can't see in there?
no there is no screen, and don't think there is need of any...ALL cars have open radiotors in front...and just because someone here got them cruched it doesn't mean it isn't just a bad luck..
Old 03-11-10, 08:10 AM
Joe G
Driver

Originally Posted by Audriuss
no there is no screen, and don't think there is need of any...ALL cars have open radiotors in front...and just because someone here got them cruched it doesn't mean it isn't just a bad luck..
This Forum is open to discuss problems/likes with our RX.
All I wanted to do was inform owners of my "bad luck" offer a fix to those interested. Nothing more nothing less.
If it seems like complaining, I apoligize.
Sincerely hope my incident remains in the minority.
Good luck to all with your RX's.
Joe
Old 03-11-10, 05:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 170 Likes on 144 Posts

Joe, if anything you have been calm, cool and collective through your ordeal. If it was me, I'd be a raging lunatic I'm annoyed I wasn't aware of this problem before I read about it here going back to the 2nd gen RXs. The 3rd gen air dam is different, a little bigger than 2nd gen. Who can say for sure it will increase/decrease the propensity for an object to damage the radiator and/or engine. In the meantime the best we can do is spend a few dollars more to install a homemade guard and keep our fingers crossed.
Old 03-12-10, 05:49 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zoydrxh
look very good, just a question: the center light coloured part is metal or plastic?
all is plastic. Is original lexus acessory in Europe for RX
Old 03-15-10, 11:23 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zoydrxh
Ciao, please can you tell me how much you payed this accessory and also, did you installed on the rear (i saw on the lexus site that exist also the rear protection accessory).
thanks
it is something about 800 Euro..

and no, I installed just the front one, because I have a detachable hitch, so it has to be cut a little bit, and it makes no good wiev then..
Old 03-15-10, 04:23 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the gap in the front between the accessory and the real bumper is really noticable from the side, but it does look good in the front. 800 euros for a piece of plastic? thats like over a thousand US. Id rather pay for the new radiator, haha
Old 03-16-10, 02:00 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
the gap in the front between the accessory and the real bumper is really noticable from the side, but it does look good in the front. 800 euros for a piece of plastic? thats like over a thousand US. Id rather pay for the new radiator, haha
I guess in USA it would be sold in price of 400-600 $...
Old 03-28-10, 09:23 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, Glad I found this thread, I just got finished reading Joe G's Thread and damn I am going to Home Depot tomorrow. Ill have a chance on Tuesday to install. Maybe I can get a picture DIY Guide done.

Quick Reply: RX350 2010 Air Dam Modification