RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Quirky Nav

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-09, 08:47 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quirky Nav

I've had Garmins for many years and by and large have been pretty happy. My '10 RX is my first car with built-in Nav. I love the joy stick and the nav has worked very well and usually better than Garmin. However, I ran into my first really strange behavior on a trip from MA to ME. The main highway up to ME is 95. It started us on that but then took us off it onto Rte 1 through the Kittery Outlets (It was mid-week and we weren't in a rush so I said what-the-hell). Well, after the outlets it took us onto a little road that headed NW (rather than NE) then after about a mile it had us reverse direction for about another mile and put us back onto 95N. Very strange!!
On the way home, it started us on 95S and I noted our home arrival time("quickest" route was selected). When it came to the point where Nav wanted to take us onto Rte 1, I ignored it and stayed on 95. I noted that about 10 minutes had been taken off of our home arrival time!! So it knew that 95 was quicker, but the "quickest route" wanted us to take Rte 1.
It also showed 2 Dunkin Donuts on the map that didn't exist. They were residential streets with houses where the DD was supposed to be.

Has anyone else run into strange Nav behavior, or has something gone haywire in mine?
Old 09-19-09, 09:20 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jclem
I've had Garmins for many years and by and large have been pretty happy. My '10 RX is my first car with built-in Nav. I love the joy stick and the nav has worked very well and usually better than Garmin. However, I ran into my first really strange behavior on a trip from MA to ME. The main highway up to ME is 95. It started us on that but then took us off it onto Rte 1 through the Kittery Outlets (It was mid-week and we weren't in a rush so I said what-the-hell). Well, after the outlets it took us onto a little road that headed NW (rather than NE) then after about a mile it had us reverse direction for about another mile and put us back onto 95N. Very strange!!
On the way home, it started us on 95S and I noted our home arrival time("quickest" route was selected). When it came to the point where Nav wanted to take us onto Rte 1, I ignored it and stayed on 95. I noted that about 10 minutes had been taken off of our home arrival time!! So it knew that 95 was quicker, but the "quickest route" wanted us to take Rte 1.
It also showed 2 Dunkin Donuts on the map that didn't exist. They were residential streets with houses where the DD was supposed to be.

Has anyone else run into strange Nav behavior, or has something gone haywire in mine?
We are heavy user of navigation and have experienced strange routing method. Calculation must factor into traffic and time of day, once, the route changed driving to Pa from Va even though it was to the same destination. We still have Mio and Tom Tom and amazing how all three would have different routing method. One thing I have noticed with 10RX, map must be at least 3 years old because it couldn't locate a building that was built almost three years ago.
Old 09-19-09, 07:35 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Each method of our Navi (short/quick/alternative) has their own settings. Have their toll/highway settings been removed on your Navi? I drove to ME twice with this RX, perhaps I didn't hit into the destinations which would trigger our Navi to act strangely, I feel our Navi has done pretty fairly on deciding how/where to go, comparing with the Navi I used before.

Remember, besides the setting issues, sometimes the varied Navigation systems may act differently in certain situations/areas due to its design and logistic, which will possibly result in the different results.
Old 09-20-09, 05:52 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sightdev
One thing I have noticed with 10RX, map must be at least 3 years old because it couldn't locate a building that was built almost three years ago.
Yikes, 3 years old? If that's true they should give us the "coming in late Oct" upadate for free.
Old 09-20-09, 05:57 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rxets
Each method of our Navi (short/quick/alternative) has their own settings. Have their toll/highway settings been removed on your Navi? I drove to ME twice with this RX, perhaps I didn't hit into the destinations which would trigger our Navi to act strangely, I feel our Navi has done pretty fairly on deciding how/where to go, comparing with the Navi I used before.

Remember, besides the setting issues, sometimes the varied Navigation systems may act differently in certain situations/areas due to its design and logistic, which will possibly result in the different results.
I remember setting toll/highway options once, but didn't realize that you can set them individually for the 3 route choices. I'll look into that. However, I still don't understand the strange little jump-off, 2 mile u-turn thing that it had us travel.