RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Winter Tire Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 09:21 AM
ovrcpt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winter Tire Recomendations

I have the ultra premium model with 19" wheels. I was wondering if any one (especially members in GTA) has started thinking about winter tires. If so please share the following:

Are you getting just the tires or tires and wheels:

How much it costs (both tires and wheels):

and where are you getting it from:

I am thinking about Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow (235/55/ R19 XL 105H). Each tire costs about CAD$229 and there is a $40 rebate if you get four tires so net cost before taxes is CAD$880.

I am not sure where to get the wheels from at this point.

Lexus dealership wants to charge CAD $3400 before taxes for Tires, wheels and TPMS sensors. Which seems very pricey.

Please share your ideas.

Thanks
Old 10-01-09, 11:20 AM
tonyhui
Driver School Candidate

Lexus made it more inconvenient for people to use snow tires on the new RX. In my old RX400h there is a switch to change to a second set of tire pressure sensors but Lexus removed the switch in 2010. This mean we have to remount the snow tires on the same rims each year (not a good idea) or pay your dealer to re-program the sensor codes each time we change over to winter tires and back to summer. I can get by without snow tires here in Vancouver but this is going to be costly for those of you who live in provinces that mandate snow tires in winter.
Old 10-01-09, 01:28 PM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ovrcpt
I have the ultra premium model with 19" wheels. I was wondering if any one (especially members in GTA) has started thinking about winter tires. If so please share the following:

Are you getting just the tires or tires and wheels:

How much it costs (both tires and wheels):

and where are you getting it from:

I am thinking about Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow (235/55/ R19 XL 105H). Each tire costs about CAD$229 and there is a $40 rebate if you get four tires so net cost before taxes is CAD$880.

I am not sure where to get the wheels from at this point.

Lexus dealership wants to charge CAD $3400 before taxes for Tires, wheels and TPMS sensors. Which seems very pricey.

Please share your ideas.

Thanks
I will go with same tires (Pirreli) for winter, because nothing else for this size on the market (just bridgestone lm25 but they don't have steep sidethread, that is usefull for SUV not to get in sideskiding that easy).

About wheels:
If you plan to put same size tire for winter > have same wheels
If you want to have a higher tire and want to have another set of wheels > get new wheels

Someone here says, that is not good to mount tires for winter/summer, but from my experience, it is even VERY good. Why? Because after having tires mounted on wheel and never dismounted for more then a year, the sealing between rim and tire gets dry and can start leaking air, in this case, you will still have to remount them..

My advice > have same size winter tires and summer tires, and just one wheel set and just after 3-5 years if rims gets "used" up (yellowed, dented...) just get another set.
Old 10-01-09, 03:03 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyhui
Lexus made it more inconvenient for people to use snow tires on the new RX. In my old RX400h there is a switch to change to a second set of tire pressure sensors but Lexus removed the switch in 2010. This mean we have to remount the snow tires on the same rims each year (not a good idea) or pay your dealer to re-program the sensor codes each time we change over to winter tires and back to summer. I can get by without snow tires here in Vancouver but this is going to be costly for those of you who live in provinces that mandate snow tires in winter.
+1 i agree.
Old 10-02-09, 06:25 AM
Sakke
Driver School Candidate

This is an interesting issue. I was planning to buy second set of alloy wheels with real winter tires for my RX 450h. Are the TPMS sensors really required with winter tires? After reading the Lexus dealership charge I think I'll buy my alloy wheels from some where else than Lexus leadership. Do you have any good recommendations where to buy?

Sakke
Old 10-02-09, 09:25 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sakke
This is an interesting issue. I was planning to buy second set of alloy wheels with real winter tires for my RX 450h. Are the TPMS sensors really required with winter tires? After reading the Lexus dealership charge I think I'll buy my alloy wheels from some where else than Lexus leadership. Do you have any good recommendations where to buy?

Sakke
TPMS sensors are required only if you don't want the low tire pressure warning to come on. if you don't care, then it's fine to have winter wheel setup without the TPMS.

as for alloy wheels, go aftermarket. check the CL vendor forum and see what kind of deals they can get for you. being a member here does have its privileges. =)