RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Blown transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09 | 09:12 AM
mkimball
Driver School Candidate

Wow...this is unreal...I'm at about 1,000 miles on mine...thanks for letting us all know about this.
Old 10-14-09 | 09:26 AM
Joe G
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
im a little skeptical about there just being a transmission lying around in the chicago area :/

but hope it gets fixed quick. lexus was never good with transmissions
I agree, my skepticism kicked in as well when you said a tramsmission was found so quickly for 2010.
Wish you the best of luck.
Old 10-14-09 | 09:30 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by RXSF
lexus was never good with transmissions
have you driven a honda?
Old 10-14-09 | 09:32 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe G
I agree, my skepticism kicked in as well when you said a tramsmission was found so quickly for 2010.
Wish you the best of luck.
I believe that the 2010 now shares a transmission with the ES350 and V6 Camry so there should be lots of those around.
Steve
Old 10-14-09 | 09:38 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Back in 1998 the transmission on our brand new Sienna blew at about 500 miles... Toyota replaced it and we haven't had a problem since then, and the car is still running fine last I checked. This is an isolated incident... stuff happens, really, not every car can be absolutely perfect. I'd be more alarmed if this were a common occurrence.
Thank you for the reassurance ! I've had Toyota products for years and have always been very satisfied with their vehicles and service. Of course this has been the most serious problem I've ever had with ANY of the new cars I've had, and I've had many new cars over my 50+ years of driving. This episode will certainly put Toyota/Lexus to the test. Time will tell, and I'll keep you all informed, as we share in a costly common product. Right now my confidence has been a little shaken in Lexus. I hope it can be rebuilt.

Thank you all for your input !
Old 10-23-09 | 05:10 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4482
I received an update today from my Lexus dealer. They are in the process of installing the NEW transmission. I may get the car back late tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon or Thursday. After assembly they want to check it out good with road tests etc.

I'll do my best to make sure it's a new transmission. I was told it was going to be a new one. Like someone said there can't be that many of the 2010 6 speeds around to rebuild of the 3rd generation units. So far I think they're ahead of the time I thought it would take them to repair it. They sure got a new tranny into the dealers fast being it was just ordered yesterday.

Here is the final chapter in my blown transmission at 2547 miles...I hope.

I picked up my 2010 RX on Thursday 10/15 with a re-manufactured (reman A/T) transmission. I had protested and asked for a new transmission to no avail. I was told this was not my old transmission rebuilt, but a transmission built out of all new parts, and shipped in from Chicago. The warranty will continue for the balance of the 6 years. I was told this was the first bad transmission in the 2010 RX my dealer had seen.

I told the service manager that I was disappointed in not having a new transmission installed having only 2547 miles on my new RX. I also told him that after purchasing 3 Lexus cars from this dealership, I had lost confidence in Lexus, which I have. He went on to assure me this was just like a new transmission and I should have no further problems.

After putting on less than 100 miles on the new transmission, I must say the shifting is as smooth as it was in my RX when it was brand new. I only hope the service manager is right, and I have no further transmission problems. It will take time to prove my re-built transmission is as good as a new one, and rebuild my confidence in the Lexus brand. I must also give credit to my Lexus service department in getting my car back to me in just 3 working days.
Old 10-23-09 | 05:18 PM
DNC
Advanced

I picked up my 2010 RX on Thursday 10/15 with a re-manufactured (reman A/T) transmission. I had protested and asked for a new transmission to no avail. I was told this was not my old transmission rebuilt, but a transmission built out of all new parts, and shipped in from Chicago. The warranty will continue for the balance of the 6 years. I was told this was the first bad transmission in the 2010 RX my dealer had seen.

I told the service manager that I was disappointed in not having a new transmission installed having only 2547 miles on my new RX. I also told him that after purchasing 3 Lexus cars from this dealership, I had lost confidence in Lexus, which I have. He went on to assure me this was just like a new transmission and I should have no further problems.

After putting on less than 100 miles on the new transmission, I must say the shifting is as smooth as it was in my RX when it was brand new. I only hope the service manager is right, and I have no further transmission problems. It will take time to prove my re-built transmission is as good as a new one, and rebuild my confidence in the Lexus brand. I must also give credit to my Lexus service department in getting my car back to me in just 3 working days.
Best of luck. Hopefully this will be the end of your troubles.
Old 10-23-09 | 09:09 PM
data2009
Pole Position

... I must also give credit to my Lexus service department in getting my car back to me in just 3 working days.
Good luck!

Look at it this way, it took your Lexus service department only 3 days to replace a blown tranny, and put you back on the road. Hopefully, without further problems.

Its taking another dealership 3 months+ to replace Joe G's failed engine.
Old 10-23-09 | 09:19 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by data2009
Good luck!

Look at it this way, it took your Lexus service department only 3 days to replace a blown tranny, and put you back on the road. Hopefully, without further problems.

Its taking another dealership 3 months+ to replace Joe G's failed engine.
I agree I was lucky. I was told my tranny was rebuilt in Japan and warehoused in Chicago. I hope Joe G gets a brand new engine from Japan after his long wait.

Old 10-24-09 | 02:38 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Congrats on the fix! While I would be extremely perturbed about getting a rebuilt transmission, as you are, the reality is that you will more than likely be fine.

If you worry about it every day I'm sure you'll find things that upset you. If you try not to focus on it you might be surprised at how little it actually bothers you. Not easy to do but it's worth a try

When I bought an Infiniti M when they first came on the market in 2005 (06 model) I had a blown computer module. Turns out it was the main module that controlled everything from the door locks to the blender and coffeemaker. In other words - it was a major part. Because the car was new and demand exceeded expectations, Infiniti was not prepared with spare parts for the car. No one told me this and the process was a debacle in terms of getting the part in.

Long story short - I ended up waiting almost 30 days to get that part and driving a crappy loaner in the meantime while paying my high lease payment. I would imagine that if you had demanded, and even if Lexus had agreed to, a brand new transmission - it could have been many, many days/weeks waiting to get your RX back. So things may not be as bad as it seems.

Either way - you've gotten what you've gotten and it seems to be working fine. Don't stress and enjoy the ride

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Jay
Old 10-24-09 | 08:41 AM
Joe G
Driver

I agree I was lucky. I was told my tranny was rebuilt in Japan and warehoused in Chicago. I hope Joe G gets a brand new engine from Japan after his long wait.

Your GD right it better be brand new after waiting this length of time!
At least you were close to home (with a warranted repair) when this happened. Your service department sounds great.
Saturday I will be paying several tolls, going over 2 bridges (130 1 way) to pick up a loaner.
Best of luck, hopefully no more problems from here on in.
Old 10-28-09 | 08:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

4482, at a little over 2000 miles, your RX is still consider brand new. I would have demanded a brand new transmssion or at least an extended power train warranty. If I were you, I would file a compalin with Lexus headquarter and have a lawyer sent them a letter.
Old 10-28-09 | 09:48 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
4482, at a little over 2000 miles, your RX is still consider brand new. I would have demanded a brand new transmssion or at least an extended power train warranty. If I were you, I would file a compalin with Lexus headquarter and have a lawyer sent them a letter.
If you go into the Lexus Warranty Guide, it says they can use re-manufactured parts. As long as it comes with the full 72 month warranty I'm not going to get my blood pressure up. At this point it does not fit the Ohio lemon law either. As I've said before the transmission shifts as smooth as silk. Who knows, it could be a new transmission. Lexus has offered me a "perk" which I've not received as yet. I'll leave it at that for now.
Old 10-28-09 | 10:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

If you go into the Lexus Warranty Guide, it says they can use re-manufactured parts. As long as it comes with the full 72 month warranty I'm not going to get my blood pressure up. At this point it does not fit the Ohio lemon law either. As I've said before the transmission shifts as smooth as silk. Who knows, it could be a new transmission. Lexus has offered me a "perk" which I've not received as yet. I'll leave it at that for now.
Isnt the regular powertrain warranty 72 months anyways? I am glad you have your RX back, but I am sorry my friend, you bought a new car with a used transmssion and should be compensated for it, but for the sake of your blood pressure, lets leave it at that.
Old 11-03-09 | 02:00 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

I would make them give you the extended warranty.
They will if you tell them thats what you want.

That is what we did for are ES customer who tranny blew and when Lexus stopped replacing there cars.

If you really wanted to complain to area rep I am sure Lexus would replace that truck. However it would take a lot of engery but they would do it.

Quick Reply: Blown transmission