RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Blown transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 06:15 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Blown transmission

Something else to worry about gals and guys.

On Friday I returned to Ohio from a trip to upper NY state, a distance of a little over 400 miles of all turnpike type driving. At the first stoplight I came to off the turnpike I noticed a slight engine miss. Saturday morning I drove to the local post office to pick up my mail still noticing the slight miss when stopped in drive.

On pulling out of the post office onto the street the engine shot up to about 4000 RPM, but I was only going about 2 miles per hour. It smoothed out and I made it home. No engine warning lights came on. There was no type of oil or fluid leaking under the car.

On getting home I called the dealer and had the RX flatbedded to them. I was given a loner RX of course. The total miles on my car at this time was...2539 !

Today I went to the dealer and spoke to the shop foreman and was told this:
They put the diagnostic on the car and saw the warning lights were about to come on. They then took the car out for a ride...and the transmission BLEW with the oil coming out. On taking down the pan from the tranny they found parts laying inside the pan of course.

Bottom line is that a new transmission was ordered for my car. They think they found one in the Chicago area, but I guess I'll find out more in a day or two. They said I might have the car back as soon as this weekend...but I'm not holding my breath. I know it's a very big job to change out a complete transmission. Being a new car will help I'm sure.

I'm just glad it happened around home and not on the turnpike 400 miles away. Last year at this time I drove my 2005 RX from Ohio to Seattle and back without a glitch. So far I'm pleased with the way Lexus has handled the problem. I'll keep you posted.

Old 10-13-09, 07:29 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear about your mishap. Hopefully it'll get resolved sooner than later.
Old 10-13-09, 08:08 AM
MMakoto
Driver School Candidate

WTH, this is scary. never thought it'd come from a Lexus/RX that quickly in its life. hopefully you'd really get it by this week and let us know the progress.
Old 10-13-09, 08:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Make sure you are getting a new transmission, and not a rebuilt one.
Old 10-13-09, 11:23 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Make sure you are getting a new transmission, and not a rebuilt one.
i don't think it will be a rebuilt tranny? there shouldn't be a lot of blown transmissions for the new RX for lexus to rebuild.
Old 10-13-09, 01:14 PM
Joe G
Driver

OMG! Sorry to hear this. What a GD shame.
Warranted repair, you should be o.k. with customer care treatment.
Hurts to be without your brand new car, been there, and still there.
Like you said, good thing you were close to home.
Good luck, hope you get your RX back soon.
Keep us posted.
Old 10-13-09, 01:48 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

+1 Glad to hear everything is being taken care of. We will be curious to find out what caused this. Please keep us posted.
Old 10-13-09, 02:46 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure you know the Lemon Law in your state in case this causes you more problems. Hopefully not though.
Old 10-13-09, 05:17 PM
Lead Lap

I received an update today from my Lexus dealer. They are in the process of installing the NEW transmission. I may get the car back late tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon or Thursday. After assembly they want to check it out good with road tests etc.

I'll do my best to make sure it's a new transmission. I was told it was going to be a new one. Like someone said there can't be that many of the 2010 6 speeds around to rebuild of the 3rd generation units. So far I think they're ahead of the time I thought it would take them to repair it. They sure got a new tranny into the dealers fast being it was just ordered yesterday.

Old 10-13-09, 05:45 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

im a little skeptical about there just being a transmission lying around in the chicago area :/

but hope it gets fixed quick. lexus was never good with transmissions
Old 10-13-09, 06:43 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4482
I received an update today from my Lexus dealer. They are in the process of installing the NEW transmission. I may get the car back late tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon or Thursday. After assembly they want to check it out good with road tests etc.

I'll do my best to make sure it's a new transmission. I was told it was going to be a new one. Like someone said there can't be that many of the 2010 6 speeds around to rebuild of the 3rd generation units. So far I think they're ahead of the time I thought it would take them to repair it. They sure got a new tranny into the dealers fast being it was just ordered yesterday.

Did they mention or did you mention an extended warranty for replaced tranny?
Old 10-13-09, 08:04 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by data2009
Did they mention or did you mention an extended warranty for replaced tranny?
We did not get into the extended warranty yet. When the car is fixed, and I pick it up, I'll see what I can do and just who I talk to about it.
Old 10-13-09, 08:20 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Back in 1998 the transmission on our brand new Sienna blew at about 500 miles... Toyota replaced it and we haven't had a problem since then, and the car is still running fine last I checked. This is an isolated incident... stuff happens, really, not every car can be absolutely perfect. I'd be more alarmed if this were a common occurrence.
Old 10-13-09, 08:34 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this. However, I have to say your dealer has done the decent jobs to quickly respond and replace it. Not everyone can get the tranny replaced in a few days. Usually they have the limited spare part in the regional centers. Glad they find one for you.
Old 10-14-09, 04:02 AM
pulp
Rookie

that sucks on a brand new car, but glad to hear the dealer is taking care if it quickly and hopefully this is just an isolated incident.

Quick Reply: Blown transmission