RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Installing roof cross bars on 2010 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 02:51 PM
Brewdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing roof cross bars on 2010 RX350

bought crossbars for my rx350 from Lexus but you need a special "nylon tool" to remove the back cover of the roof rails (so you can slide the crossbar mounts into the rails). anybody successfully removed that back cover without this tool or know a substitute tool? Would hate to force a screwdriver in the seam as the cover is plastic and could break. Pulling up and back on the cover doesnt release it. i dont want to use any more force for fear of breaking.
Old 10-16-09, 08:33 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brewdog, I removed the cross rails from my '07 hoping they would fit my '10--they don't!! However, the design of the roof rails looks similar. I did not use the 'special nylon tool', but it was tricky. My recollection is that I used a thin, flexible putty knife to pry UP at the rear of the rail, where it joins the roof and then pryed BACKWARDS at the joint between the end cap and the long rail. I don't remember whether or not I had to remove the allen screws(they might be torx head). I know I did remove them, but I seem to recall that it might not have been necessary. Sorry, but I did this about 4 months ago.
Maybe try calling a couple of the local dealer parts or service deparments and see if they can give you some pointers. Sometimes you can get a knowlegable/helpful person. Good luck.
BTW, how much did the cross rails cost?

Last edited by jclem; 10-16-09 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-16-09, 09:37 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

I've got some Thule Aero Bars (RB47) and Aero Feet (450R) on order. Probably going to sell the OE bars. PM me if you're interested.

I spoke to a tech about pulling them off... he hasn't had any break but he is always paranoid they will.
Old 10-16-09, 12:58 PM
MMakoto
Driver School Candidate

i had the dealership throw those crossbars in for free when i got my car, but i haven't even opened the box yet. i too would like to know how much they cost. pls keep us posted on how to install those crossbars, as i'm looking to get snowboard racks soon. anybody know how much the OE snowboard racks cost? any alternatives to that? TIA!
Old 10-16-09, 01:07 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MMakoto
i had the dealership throw those crossbars in for free when i got my car, but i haven't even opened the box yet. i too would like to know how much they cost. pls keep us posted on how to install those crossbars, as i'm looking to get snowboard racks soon. anybody know how much the OE snowboard racks cost? any alternatives to that? TIA!
Yakima or Thule. Not sure why you would buy Lexus... more expensive. Can buy online on Amazon, RackAttack, ORSracksdirect etc...
Old 10-17-09, 06:34 AM
jclem
Pole Position

I hadn't even thought of after-market clamp-on cross bars. The Lexus salesman told me that the reason they weren't included with the '10RX's is the added noise, and since I only need them a few times a year, the after market's are definitely the way to go for me.
Old 10-19-09, 02:49 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jclem
I hadn't even thought of after-market clamp-on cross bars. The Lexus salesman told me that the reason they weren't included with the '10RX's is the added noise, and since I only need them a few times a year, the after market's are definitely the way to go for me.
Haven't put them on yet... but from a common sense perspective I think the Thule Aero bars and feet are the way to go given how quiet the car is. Yakima crossbars are round and the feet aren't too aerodynamic so they are probably going to introduce more turbulence and be noisier than the Thule setup.

I believe the OE bars can carry (different number in owners manual vs Lexus website) 110lbs and the Thule setup can carry 165lbs. Most cargo boxes weigh around 50lbs... and can handle 100-110lbs of gear. So the Thule setup gets you where you need to be if you're running a cargo box and want to load it up. If you go OE... can't put too much stuff in it without exceeding the limits.
Old 10-20-09, 10:33 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Good info, Thanks,
The Thule appear to be the only silver bars (partially anyway)available and therefore match the RX side rails better. That in addition to the aerodynamic issues you mentioned would definitely tip the scale in the Thule Aero direction vs Yakima.
Old 10-20-09, 10:59 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Good deals on amazon. If you're going cargo box and dont mind dropping some extra cake... Thule 611 Boxter is a very nice box.
Old 10-20-09, 12:32 PM
Sakke
Driver School Candidate

I got the preinstall crossbars when I purchased my 450h. I don't need them right now and I wanted to take them away. I didn't know how to do it and I asked help from service consultant during the 1000 mile service. He didn't know it either so, he asked help from one of their service guy, which explained me how to do it. When I asked him to show it, he was not able to remove them. He asked me to wait in the reception area while he drove my car pack to the service area. Now I have the crossbars in the car's cargo but still I don't know how them was removed. When I need to reinstall the crossbars again I need to drive to Lexus service, I guess.

I think the design of the crossbars are really bad or designers have thought nobody wants to remove them. Also I disappointed for the service guys who didn't give any demo how to remove the crossbars. Does somebody know if there are any OE installing instruction available in the net?

Sakke
Old 10-21-09, 10:41 AM
wrahn
Driver School Candidate

Default Remove and Install

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...oss-rails.html
Old 10-22-09, 12:12 PM
Sakke
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Especially this Toyota RAV4 instruction was good: http://rav4world.com/tsb/2006/PD079-05.pdf

I would have supposed something similar from Lexus.

Sakke
Old 10-26-09, 12:48 PM
Brewdog
Driver School Candidate

Just logged back in (I am the riginal poster). Thanks everyone! I see the service guys tomorrow for the 1000 mile, so plan to ask. If i can add anything to the descriptons here, i will!
Old 10-27-09, 04:37 PM
Brewdog
Driver School Candidate

Had a great technician (thanks Lee) at Lexus of Watertown show me the details. Bottom line is it is hard and you do need to pry UP from the exterior side base along the rubber footing, while pulling back slightly. Best to use a plastic scraper or nylon stick (his was nylon and sanded to make flatter point). It creaks and groans, but it comes up!! I have them off and will try to post a pic so you can see where the pins are and hence where to pry from. Also once you get them off, put a drop of silicone in there to make the next time easier.
Old 09-01-11, 01:15 PM
eveall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tazdevl
I believe the OE bars can carry (different number in owners manual vs Lexus website) 110lbs and the Thule setup can carry 165lbs. Most cargo boxes weigh around 50lbs... and can handle 100-110lbs of gear. So the Thule setup gets you where you need to be if you're running a cargo box and want to load it up. If you go OE... can't put too much stuff in it without exceeding the limits.
The OE bars can carry 165 lbs, so there's really no worry about exceeding the cargo limits with those bars as they're more or less the same load capacity at bars from thule or yakima.

When i purchased the RX, i purchased the cross bars at cost. Personally, i like the low profile offered by the cross bars and the fact that you're using something that is made to fit perfectly. I don't like the look of them when they're on so i will be putting them on only when i need to carry cargo on top. I do like the look of the rails though, so i wouldn't even think about taking those suckers off.

Quick Reply: Installing roof cross bars on 2010 RX350