RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 01:04 PM
coachz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been lagging but will also do a cold drain using some Valvoline lying around and some clear vinyl purchased from HD to fill from the hood. Purchased new washers from amazon (10pk) and plan to change three consecutive months then annually. At 41k when purchased a new to us 2010RX in September 2018, now at 49k.
Old 03-05-19, 02:21 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,174 Likes on 1,002 Posts

To fill the transmission you have to remove the driver side front tire. Then there is a small flap at the front of the fender liner. It has plastic thing holding it on and I think there is a screw or bolt toward the front under the liner. Anyway, behind the flap is the filler bolt and a long funnel is the best option to fill it.

Note that inside the drain plug is a plastic overflow tube used when adjusting the level using Techstream. Once it stops draining use the same size Allen wrench used to remove the drain plug. When the overflow tube is removed about another quart will come out. When reinstalling do not try to tighten it much as it is plastic that is easily broken and tightness does not matter. It will not go anywhere once the drain plug is back in.
The following users liked this post:
RX in NC (03-07-19)
Old 06-04-19, 07:25 PM
lexuspleus
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2014 Lexus RX "transmission fluid change"

2014 Lexus RX350 AWD. with about 100k Kilometers.

I'm not much of a gear head, but I did my research and I watch Scotty Kilmer's videos.

Just want to check some things:
1. This SUV has a transfer case AND a rear differential. Right?
2. Lexus claims these are sealed units with lifetime fluid. Right?
3. Maintaining "transmission" so to speak means replacing the fluid in BOTH the transfer case AND the differential. Right?

I'm about to book an appointment and the dealer is charging $75 CDN to drain+fill each component.So $75 for the xfer case, and $75 for the rear diff. which seem like reasonable prices. I don't want to do these jobs myself and the car is still under powertrain warranty.

I just want to make sure I understand things correctly and am not setting myself up to be ripped off by the dealership. I have never seen a transfer case before and don't quite know how AWD systems work.
Old 08-24-19, 04:51 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 2010 RX Transmission Drain and Fill

Can someone who has done this drop some advice.
I have a 2010 RX 2 wheel drive with about 130k. I am uncertain of the transmission fluid change history, which from what I understand puts me in the drain and fill option.
After watching a few you tub videos for location of the plug etc I want to be certain that I can just drain the old fluid, measure then pump back the exact fluid in.
No need to use scan tool or measurement at a specific temperature.
Old 08-25-19, 01:24 PM
salimshah

Received 1,073 Likes on 966 Posts

Originally Posted by TriniLex
Can someone who has done this drop some advice.
I have a 2010 RX 2 wheel drive with about 130k. I am uncertain of the transmission fluid change history, which from what I understand puts me in the drain and fill option.
After watching a few you tub videos for location of the plug etc I want to be certain that I can just drain the old fluid, measure then pump back the exact fluid in.
No need to use scan tool or measurement at a specific temperature.
Once you decide to do a drain and fill, what you propose is correct. To make it work right, just measure the volume (out-flow and what you want to put back in) at the same temperature [the volume of the hydraulic fluid changes with temperature more than one expects]. Also there is always some loss when you want to pump fresh fluid. When I did the drain and fill on 450H, the fill plug started to drain out with about 1/4 cup still to be filled in. I just jacked up the filler side to match the drained volume.

Note: What I did was all on my own (my best judgment). Lexus says not to mess with it. What you choose to do will be all on you.

Salim
Skyfox16 (01-21-20)
Old 10-03-19, 09:49 AM
spatel88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2010 RX350 with 110k miles and we have not changed the transmission fluid. No issues currently but is it too late to change it now? I read that after a certain point its not advised to change the fluid. Not sure if i met that or not. What are other people's thoughts on changing the fluid?
Old 10-03-19, 12:12 PM
RxDuderino
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Transmission service?

So, I just turned over 90k miles. Is it time to service the transmission or differential yet? Thanks.
Old 10-03-19, 12:53 PM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes, it's time.
I'm doing the transmission, the transfer case and the differential every 30 to 40 k miles.
Many mechanics recommend doing it every 60 k miles.

Last edited by Non; 10-03-19 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-21-19, 01:10 PM
rababich
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RX350 Auto Trans fluid change DIY

We just got our 2012 RX350 and I will be doing my own maintenance.
I've read thru the now closed "Transmission fluid change" thread and many others.
I have some questions/confirmations/observations.

1. What is the thread size and pitch of the 24mm fill plug? M20x1.5, M18x1.5, or .....

2. The plastic tube above the drain plug is set for what temps, I've read 95-113 deg?
Is the plastic tube Lexus part no. 35125-07020?
The fill hose kit on ebay includes a replacement for the plastic tube made of aluminum, but longer for operating temps.
I like the replacement made of aluminum, but don't want to change the fluid at operating temps.
They are asking $30 for the aluminum tube which could be shortened to the match the OEM plastic one, but $30 ???
The plastic tube "measures" the pan level similar to hash marks on a dipstick, it's just a different method.

3. I have a Scangauge II which will display the trans fluid temp the computer reads. (Use the last set of X gauge codes for the RX350)
Is this a good way to measure the trans fluid temp and reinstall the drain plug at say 100 deg?

4. The Aisin U660E automatic transmission is not really "sealed".
It may lack a dipstick, but if I've read the exploded diagrams correctly there is a breather tube.
Without a breather tube expansion of the fluid would blow out seals.

5. The 24mm plug on the side of the case is just for filling.
It is not a dual purpose opening in the case, such as on differentials and manual transmissions which use it for filling and level checking.
Old 10-21-19, 01:40 PM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rababich

4. The Aisin U660E automatic transmission is not really "sealed".
It may lack a dipstick, but if I've read the exploded diagrams correctly there is a breather tube.
Without a breather tube expansion of the fluid would blow out seals.
Thank you for this information!
I've never seen a gear box without a breather tube, but also, I've read so many comments about keeping the air out of this "sealed" transmission I was confused.
I'm also planning to drain and fill the ATF, from what I read the level checking procedure is not that complicated.
If you want the best possible level adjustment, I would not use the operating temperature tube from ebay... too risky
Old 11-11-19, 01:49 PM
bill444
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ATS Fluid Change - High Mileage

Hello,

I've read through the transmission fluid change thread and not sure I ever saw a consensus on when it's too late in terms of mileage for the very first fluid change. I have just about 90,000 miles on my 2015 RX350. Has anyone else changed their fluid for the first time with higher mileage?

Thanks

Bill
Old 11-11-19, 01:50 PM
Clutchless

Go ahead and change it as soon as possible if you plan to keep the vehicle. If taking it somewhere, find a Toyota or Lexus dealer that will do a fluid exchange. That will replace most or all of the fluid. Some dealers will do it and some will say never do it, just call around to find one. The price also varies. You may want to consider getting a coolant flush at the same time. Sometimes they offer package deals on these services.

A drain and fill only replaces about 2 quarts of the about 10 quarts in the transmission. (I may be wrong about total capacity)

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-11-19 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 02:39 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

We got our 2013 RX450h automatic transmission fluid "drained and filled" at a very large Lexus dealership at some 80K miles on the odometer.

I was going to do it myself, but for around $179 I just let them do it.

All good. No problems.

Originally Posted by bill444
Hello,

I've read through the transmission fluid change thread and not sure I ever saw a consensus on when it's too late in terms of mileage for the very first fluid change. I have just about 90,000 miles on my 2015 RX350. Has anyone else changed their fluid for the first time with higher mileage?

Thanks

Bill
Old 11-16-19, 02:06 AM
johnnytam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission oil pan removal

I am trying to change the transmission oil filter on my 2010 Lexus RX350 with FWD with 106K miles which requires dropping the tranny oil pan. However, there is one 10 mm bolt out of about 17 bolts that is blocked by the frame that I just cannot access with any wrench I know of. I tried several including grinding down some of mine to customize. Tried offset, wobble etc but the frame is in the way. I can easily access all the others. BTW, the filler port is easily accessible on the side of the upper part of transmission behind the driver wheel with easily removed bolt. Please let me know of any tricks to get at the one bolt on the pan with the frame blocking. One thing I saw on you tube was to loosen the frame bolts accessible in the wheel well and the front of the car and then gently jack the transmission up about .5 inch or less, but I have not tried that yet. Thank you.
Old 11-16-19, 06:15 AM
Clutchless

I believe you have to unbolt some of the motor mounts and jack the motor up a bit (floor jack with wood brace under engine oil pan) to get at the bolt. I would search Youtube including the Highlander as it is a mechanical twin and search https://www.toyotanation.com/forums/...2008-2013.122/

I doubt your filter needs changing as they are as big as window screens and catch large chunks. Just change the fluid a few times via drain and fills as covered above. Clogged filters are not an issue with these transmissions.
johnnytam (11-16-19)

Quick Reply: RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)