RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-20, 10:11 AM
stamy74
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The 450h has what Lexus/Toyota call a power transfer unit and it is not a CVT. The fluid change on it is a drain and fill and it only holds about 4 quarts of ATF. The procedure is the same as changing the fluid on a manual transmission or differential in that you fill it up until fluid flows out of the fill hole which is on the side. There is no filter. It is as easy to do as changing engine oil.

The differential also does not have a filter and on the 450h AWD. I think it is some kind of electronic unit vs the traditional one found in the 350 AWD and that it also takes ATF.
Many thanx!
Old 12-05-20, 12:09 AM
ecstatic1
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iolmaster
There is one more option that is not popular in this thread, but is the recommendation of both Toyota and Lexus. Don't do it at all!! Clutchless always forgets that one.
Only an option if you choose to stick your head in the sand and hope for the best.

Originally Posted by Non
I too read claims by people on the internet that the WS is not synthetic, but is conventional. I don't believe it for two reasons: First, other people on the internet claimed that the WS is synthetic, and second, many owners (not all of them) never change their ATF and still manage to get 150 or 200k miles on their transmissions, how would that be possible on some crappy, inferior fluid?
It's not synthetic.

Originally Posted by RX in NC
We have to deal with this issue on the Jaguar forum I utilize. Too many inexperienced DIY Jaguar owners unscrew their easy-to-access ZF transmission drain plug and drain the old ATF before realizing just how difficult it is to access the ZF fill plug (and that a custom-cut 8mm Allen wrench section is needed to unscrew it)....
Even without seeing it I'm positive there's a breather hose and they could've filled it through that, it's a neat trick that was done on 6 spd SAAB's with sealed Aisin trans.

It is explained in this DIY thread that was recently posted. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...oler-100k.html
Yes, this is the best way short of going to the dealer to do a full exchange.
Old 03-10-21, 03:19 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It is explained in this DIY thread that was recently posted. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...oler-100k.html
Originally Posted by ecstatic1
Yes, this is the best way short of going to the dealer to do a full exchange.
Glad :-) you think like Mando - this is the way! I can't take all the credit for it, got a lot of ideas from people here like Clutchless and Lexmex. I've done this to a RX350, RX300, and a 4Runnner (dropped pan too). It does use a lot of ATF but it does come out bright cherry red and you get it done in one session compared to multiple drain and fills! It's intimidating at first specially if you want to drain it out until it sputters like some do (tranny is NOT under load so I believe this is ok, somebody correct me if I am wrong) but I like to overfill by 1-2 qts. and drain that you are only about 1-2 under then repeat until it comes out cherry red!

Old 03-11-21, 07:01 AM
Rhinoevans
Driver School Candidate

I also have the Tow Package which includes the Tranny Oil cooler. I have some questions (I have been planning to to a simple Drain/Fill)
1. after you drain out 2-3 quarts from the return line of the cooler, do you refill the 2 quarts via the Tranny fill plug?
2. After you do the final drain and fill, how to you determine the correct fluid level? The official Lexus procedure with the overflow tube and temp?
Old 03-11-21, 09:58 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhinoevans
I also have the Tow Package which includes the Tranny Oil cooler. I have some questions (I have been planning to to a simple Drain/Fill)
1. after you drain out 2-3 quarts from the return line of the cooler, do you refill the 2 quarts via the Tranny fill plug?
2. After you do the final drain and fill, how to you determine the correct fluid level? The official Lexus procedure with the overflow tube and temp?
Are you planning to do just one D&F? If yes, just add 1/2 to 1 quart in addition to what your drained. So if your drained 2, add 2.5 to 3. Yes via the fill port/plug. This way you have more than enough ATF in there, otherwise there won't be any to overflow when checking the fluid level at specified temp.

If you are planning to do a full exchange, refer to the DIY https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...oler-100k.html you only need to read 3 posts! The OP explains the diff. drain point options, post #2 the specs you need to know, and post #3 video on how it's done by others and how I do it including how to check for the proper level.

I drain using a clear 3/8" hose and directly into a milk jug with 1/2 quart increments marked on the side. This way you don't have to transfer the ATF from your drain pan into a measuring container which gets messy sometimes. I used a measuring cup filled with 1/2 quart of water at a time for accuracy but you really don't need to be that accurate for this car (you have to be on trannys without overflow tubes) since you are overfilling the last fill anyway and let the excess drain out the overflow tube at temp.
Old 04-10-21, 07:09 AM
konradsa
Rookie

Default Oil change for transmission/transfer care/rear differential

We have a 2013 RX350 with about 85,000 miles on it. Our dealer says we need to replace the transmission fluid, together with the transfer case and rear differential fluids, as they are "overdue by time/mileage". I am looking at the Lexus maintenance schedule, and I can't see any mention of these items being required. Do we really need to replace these fluids? We don't do anything crazy with the car, like off road driving or towing. So I'd rather not replace these items if even Lexus thinks it's not necessary.
Old 04-10-21, 08:01 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 411 Likes on 328 Posts

Lexus considers their ATF to be "lifetime". However, regardless of manufacturer, there is no such animal. All fluids eventually break down due to heat cycles and time. To give your transmission the best opportunity for a long and trouble-fee life, its ATF should be replaced. Some owners do it between 50,000 and 70,000 miles. Some owners wait longer. Whatever you decide to do, you will be better off financially by finding a well-respected independent transmission shop familiar with Toyota. Be sure to choose an ATF that meets the proper specs, not an all-purpose "this works with everything" one that could do more harm than good.
The following users liked this post:
ricco750 (04-10-21)
Old 04-10-21, 08:05 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

Yes, replace them now if you plan to keep the vehicle. In the maintenance booklet under service stuff, it does state that under severe conditions you should change these fluids at 60,000 miles. Realize that Lexus does not care if your transmission fails once you are outside the warranty period. It is less likely you will have issues with the differential and transfer case, but the cost is minimal to also change those fluids.

Consider it like insurance. You pay a little now to avoid the risk of having to buy a new transmission for $5000 in a couple of years.
There are many threads here where folks argue about whether or not to change it at all and in the end, it is your decision. Pay a few hundred now or roll the dice and hope it does not break if you plan to drive it over 100,000 miles.
I have always been one to do these transmission fluid changes earlier and more often than the manufacturer recommends and have never had a transmission failure even on some vehicles I owned with noted unreliable transmissions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Clutchless:
ricco750 (04-10-21), RX10 (04-11-21)
Old 04-10-21, 10:03 AM
ricco750
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Like they said, change the fluids. My Haynes manual recommends these services at 60,000 miles.
Old 04-10-21, 10:31 AM
konradsa
Rookie

Thanks, I still think for the Lexus dealer to say that these fluids are “overdue due to time/mileage” is misleading at least, as this is not based on Lexus maintenance schedule.

Nevertheless, will look into replacing them.
Old 04-11-21, 04:41 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 411 Likes on 328 Posts

^^ Actually, your dealer is one of the rare ones exhibiting common sense. ATF refreshes should indeed be a part of the official Lexus service schedule. Lexus got it wrong when they opted not to recommend it.
The following 2 users liked this post by RX in NC:
Cocal (04-11-21), RX10 (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 06:22 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

I posted this a while ago, but VW and MINI used the similar design Aisin model 09G 6-speed transmission in several models and initially recommended no fluid changes.
However, they began to get so many warranty claims for failed transmissions in higher mileage vehicles they changed their recommendation to change the fluid at 40,000 miles. They sent notices to all owners. This was discussed quite a bit in VW forums. Apparently the valve body bores would wear out.

Posted elsewhere:
MINI and other manufacturers considered the fluid to be lifetime, probably because it would last past the warranty and also for lower maintenance and costs to the buyer. I don't remember if MINI ever sent out a TSB, but VW has changed the service interval from lifetime to 40K.

This guide on how to change the 09G fluid states the recommended interval for normal driving is 50,000 - 60,000 miles.
https://www.blauparts.com/blog/how-t...m-6-speed.html

Last edited by Clutchless; 04-11-21 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-11-21, 07:50 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by konradsa
Thanks, I still think for the Lexus dealer to say that these fluids are “overdue due to time/mileage” is misleading at least, as this is not based on Lexus maintenance schedule.

Nevertheless, will look into replacing them.
Read the manual again, it does say to change the transfer case fluid and as for the ATF it does say that under "normal" condition it doesn't need to be changed unless it operates under "severe" conditions, which is what we all drive under.
Old 05-02-21, 05:29 AM
RSLEX
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid RX 350 2013

Hi, I live in a cold winter country. I don't pull trailers. Most of my driving is highway although I live in the city. My Lexus RX 350, 2013 runs great and I am planning to keep it a long time. I am the second owner. The Lexus dealer is charging me $165 for a full flush of the transmission oil. I asked if he is changing the filter and he said No. He said 95% of the oil will be replaced by new oil. I hear some say it is a good thing to change the transmission oil every 60,000 miles while others say don't touch it. I am leaning towards having it done but I want to be sure it is done properly. Anu or all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-02-21, 09:11 PM
BrakeGoBrr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a great forum on here that discusses the transmission oil change. Here it is - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hreads-22.html. Hope it helps!

Quick Reply: RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)