RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-23, 07:51 PM
salimshah

Received 1,073 Likes on 966 Posts

Originally Posted by Uno99
UPDATE!
I had the transmission guy do the fluid, drain the pan and replace the filter. He called me saying the transmission was still shifting rough into third and to come get the vehicle.
However he called me back 20 minutes later telling me that he used a different computer to reset a code or something and that is now shifting beautifully!

Sure enough. I picked up the car and I've been driving it for a few days and the transmission is perfect. I'm so happy and fortunate that after almost 300,000 km on the original fluids that my transmission is still great. The mechanic told me that there wasn't a lot of metal in the pan and that it should be good for at least another 100,000 km.
Shout out to Richmond Hill transmission here in Ontario, Canada. If anyone needs any work done on their vehicle, it's a very trustworthy shop.
It would be nice to know what they reset?
Salim
Old 10-24-23, 03:24 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

^^ Agreed.
Old 10-24-23, 06:20 AM
Uno99
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
It would be nice to know what they reset?
Salim
Yeah I do wonder as well. He was about to show me but I had to quickly leave. When we first did the road test he had his computer hooked up and told me there were no fault codes. However, his friend visited him with a better computer while he was working on my car, and that was the one that was able to see/clear the code.

I'll ask him next time since I'm going to take my wife's Audi to him.
Also, he said he uses Toyota oil.
Old 10-25-23, 04:39 PM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe a ECU reset?
Old 10-25-23, 05:03 PM
Yahmei
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone tried getting their RX into transmission temperature check mode/transmission temperature detection mode? This involves jumping 2 pins on the ODB2 + doing a sequence with the shifter. I've seen GX's and Tacoma's do the same thing, so I assume it'd work for the 3rd-generation RX even though I haven't seen a video on it.

Old 10-26-23, 04:42 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,174 Likes on 1,002 Posts

The video you linked states it works for the RX 2010-2015 so that answers your own question. I have not done this.

I recall something in this video about a similar or the same procedure for the RX with its U660e transmission. It may be in this video.
This has been posted before but have you watched it?

​​​​​​

Last edited by Clutchless; 10-26-23 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-14-23, 03:14 PM
kershenator
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case fluid change HELP!!!

I bought my wifes 2013 lexus rx350 about 3 years ago with 74k miles on it. Didn't think about transfer case or differential fluid and here we are in 2023 and 100k miles. Not sure if the fluid has ever been changed because I bought it used. Is it safe to go ahead and change the two fluids or am I too late to change the fluid at this point in the same way they recommend with toyota transmissions? Not sure if they both can have similar issues if you change the oil at a high mileage and that gunk starts to break loose and then decrease the life of the transfer case.
Old 11-14-23, 04:29 PM
Canucks
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kershenator
I bought my wifes 2013 lexus rx350 about 3 years ago with 74k miles on it. Didn't think about transfer case or differential fluid and here we are in 2023 and 100k miles. Not sure if the fluid has ever been changed because I bought it used. Is it safe to go ahead and change the two fluids or am I too late to change the fluid at this point in the same way they recommend with toyota transmissions? Not sure if they both can have similar issues if you change the oil at a high mileage and that gunk starts to break loose and then decrease the life of the transfer case.
I also bought mine used had around 100k miles and changed both around 105k. Did it myself. The magnets had no shavings.
Old 11-14-23, 05:28 PM
Clutchless

You should change the fluids in the transfer case and differential. Changing it now will only increase their life and will not have any detrimental affect as some have encountered with old transmissions. They are much simpler devices and will benefit greatly from fresh fluid. Synthetic is even better.
The following users liked this post:
kershenator (11-14-23)
Old 12-12-23, 08:08 AM
LexusNoobBoob
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 207K no tranny fluid change

Hello friends, I've recently come into my first Lexus 2010 Lexus RX450H and have a dilemma that I would like to run past all you Lexus experts since I know ZERO.

All the maintenance on this car was kept up by a mechanic pretty on point....BUT the guy never did the transmission fluid change. It was brought to him around 95 thousand-ish miles and now has 207K

The assumption is that the tranny fluid was never changed.

I've been told SO MANY opposing POVs my head is spinning. For example, in my town, I called the Lexus dealer and they said, no problem, come on in and we'll do a flush, never seen any issues with it.
I called 2 Lexus dealers a few hours away. One said they never recommend ANY transmission flushes ever. The other said "Oh no! not with the hybrids for sure, I've seen too many fail after a flush, only a drain and fill.

I then called an independent transmission guy, he wouldn't even work on it and warned me that because of the miles, there's a high probability that particulate matter/shavings/etc could be stirred up and the viscosity/thickness of the fluid inside the tranny, the tranny now has become used to that and it would be a sort of shock to the tranny system if I did anything to it and that I should drive it til it dies.
To my knowledge, there are no tranny problems. No jerks, etc.

I'm a manintenace car overboard freak, this drives me bananas because I want this car to last but now am freaked the things life will be cut short because everyone in contact with this car somehow had a brain fart concerning the tranny fluid and now am essentially forced to not touch the tranny fluid.

In b4 anyone says "but! but! but!!!!! It's lifetime fluid!!!! Every independent mechanic I've talked to says that's bunk. Of course the dealership doesn't want you to change fluids so they can sell you a new car in 7 years instead of 15. No fluid can last forever.

Here's a video from Scotty Kilmer on the topic

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hi4nzS0uOX0?si=EgflRD_HWtFq2pr0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've also read some comments that they've done crazy high mileage flushes on cars, many in a row and had no problems but it seems that many comments are horror stories of trannies being ruined.

Any one got any gems of advice on this??
Old 12-12-23, 08:20 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,928 Likes on 2,466 Posts

Your car is a hybrid the transmission has nothing in common with a conventional transmission that uses a torque converter. There is zero downside to changing the fluid, none. There are no clutch packs in your transmission that may slip* if old fluid is drained out. This is one unit I only use Toyota ATF in don't feel like experimenting with other fluids.

*I've never actually seen this happen
Old 12-12-23, 08:24 AM
Clutchless

I have good news for you. You have a hybrid. The RX450h does not have a normal automatic transmission. Lexus/Toyota calls it a Power Transfer Unit. It has 1 gear and none of the clutches or solenoids of an automatic transmission. You cannot flush it.

You can safely change the fluid now. It only holds about 4 quarts.

The fluid is changed the same way as one would change the fluid in a manual transmission. You drain the fluid and then fill it back up until fluid flows out of the fill hole. It is as easy to do as changing the engine oil. Take it to a hybrid or Toyota shop if you do not do your own car maintenance. This is a simple and quick job. It should not cost much. If a shop is telling you what you reported above they are either scamming you or completely ignorant about Toyota hybrid transmission-power transfer units. Or you did not tell them you have a Toyota/Lexus hybrid.

You should have posted this in the hybrid forum. Here is a link to the 450h DIY sticky thread section which has info on changing the hybrid ATF. See post 3. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...diy-index.html

Also see this thread about how to do it with video links
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...-and-rear.html

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-12-23 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-12-23, 08:31 AM
LexusNoobBoob
Driver School Candidate

My hometown Lexus dealer is telling me that they will flush it.....I've actually called back when I was told the opposing info from a different Lexus dealer and they repeat the same thing, we do flushes....seems bizarre that they don't know.

I've specifically given them the year/make/model/that its a 450 hybrid.

Do I move this to a different category? Not sure how to do that since I'm new

Thanks for your help/info
Old 12-12-23, 08:38 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,928 Likes on 2,466 Posts

There is NO flush needed on your car. Read post #3 again replacing the fluid is exactly like a manual transmission drain the fluid, fill until ATF comes out the fill hole. Done. This job can be done in 20 minutes.
Old 12-12-23, 08:45 AM
LexusNoobBoob
Driver School Candidate

I just found this on the Lexus site about work done by Lexus....tranny fluid was flushed by Lexus at 77KSERVICE: TRANSMISSION FLUSH
DESCRIPTION: ~|~CUSTOMER REQUESTS TRANSMISSION FLUSH ~|~FLUSH TRANS AND FRONT DIFFERENTIAL ~|~TECHNICIAN PERFORMED TRANSMISSION FLUSH SERVICE. ADDED VPS CLEANER TO REMOVE DEPOSITS AND DEBRIS FROM TRANSMISSION. FLUSHED OUT ALL OLD FLUID IN SYSTEM AND REPLACED WITH NEW LEXUS APPROVED FLUID AND VPS CONDITIONER. HELPS MAINTAIN PROPER SHIFTING CHARACTE

Quick Reply: RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)