RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hair Trigger Throttle Response

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 08:49 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaRacerz
Not that I am an expert in this field, but what are experiencing is normal today. Most likely what was done to your car at the dealer was nothing more than a memory reset. This would bring the Tranny back into Factory mode and Factory shift pattern. From there, the Transmission learns your driving style each mile you drive. And for whatever reason, what the transmission learned and implemented is resulting in what you are feeling. This is the transmission adapting to your driving style (learning).
I was going to say the same thing. I remember the first few weeks of driving RX back in April, I felt sudden surges when starting from the stop. 7 months later, the tranny is silky smooth. I do have the tendency to 'gun it', so it definitely learned the 'heavy foot' routine. Except from driving for the first 10-20 minutes from the cold start, I feel the throttle response is more than adequate most of the time, although there is often a slight hesitation when going from 50 to 70, with high revs. Still learning, I guess...
Old 10-29-09, 06:29 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting topic. I actually find our pedal not as responsive. If I want to get going I really have to push it down. I'm used to driving a bit more of a spirited auto so it may just be the comparison of going from one car to the other, but we definitely don't have a touchy gas pedal at all.

Probably the 'learning' as other posts have mentioned but didn't expect as much feedback that others were noticing this as well. Interesting . . .

Jay
Old 10-30-09, 03:13 PM
Elex
Driver School Candidate

Default Learning Tranny

Originally Posted by data2009
I was going to say the same thing. I remember the first few weeks of driving RX back in April, I felt sudden surges when starting from the stop. 7 months later, the tranny is silky smooth. I do have the tendency to 'gun it', so it definitely learned the 'heavy foot' routine. Except from driving for the first 10-20 minutes from the cold start, I feel the throttle response is more than adequate most of the time, although there is often a slight hesitation when going from 50 to 70, with high revs. Still learning, I guess...
Yes, I realize about the "memory reset" and the "learning tranny" - what I do not understand is why my ES went into this "performance mode" with just being casually driven and why it won't go back out of it. Apparently it's not just me either if the loaner RX was in this same mode.

I have an email into Lexus corporate to try and understand the reasoning behind this and if this is supposed to be working this way.

I haven't changed my style of driving, but for some reason after this recalibration update, it just gets stuck in "performance mode". After the last reset, I was trying to gently drive it to prevent it from doing this, which didn't work.
Old 11-06-09, 01:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
Interesting topic. I actually find our pedal not as responsive. If I want to get going I really have to push it down. I'm used to driving a bit more of a spirited auto so it may just be the comparison of going from one car to the other, but we definitely don't have a touchy gas pedal at all.

Probably the 'learning' as other posts have mentioned but didn't expect as much feedback that others were noticing this as well. Interesting . . .

Jay
compared to most other vehicles these days, toyota/lexus have pretty responsivly tuned drive-by-wire systems.

in most other cars, DBW is very sluggish to achieve better MPG ratings.

so i would think it is an plus :-).

also, does the 350 have SNOW mode? should be less responsive there
Old 11-06-09, 05:58 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say the opposite of what most people are saying here. I find the gas pedal a bit sluggish. I've been driving the RX 350 for a month now and my impressioin is still the same. The steering wheel also feel a bit hard. It gives me a feeling of the car being solid.
Old 11-06-09, 01:45 PM
ObsidianRX
Driver School Candidate

I can't say I agree either, then again I think many of the thoughts on this are colored by perspective. My DD is a 135i, and that thing makes so much torque off idle that it's very hard to modulate from a dead stop even with the transmission set to start off in 2nd gear. The RX is a piece of cake to drive smoothly in comparison.
Old 11-07-09, 06:34 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Indeed, all a matter of perspective...unlike Obsidian RX with a fancy DD, mine is a Chevy truck, 8 yrs old. No drive by wire, and it's throttle response profile is very different from the 10RX. Since I only drive the RX once a month at most, I get jackrabbit starts when I do, because I'm accustomed to the Chevy. Same with the brakes...passengers lurch forward a bit when I tap on the brake as it grabs a bit harder than my beast. Then again, the RX is a full ton or more lighter than what I'm used to.
Old 11-27-09, 04:07 PM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jskennedy
another vote for too sensitive, even after 3months
Wow, I thought it was me. I'm glad I stopped to check into the RX forum.
And everyone is saying, nothing can be done? Sometimes it's a little embarrassing pulling out and it looks like your lunging at passangers walking in front of you. Well, maybe sometimes.
Old 11-28-09, 02:01 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

too sensitive???? Really????? I thought it felt a little numb to me. Lexus sets up the trans and ECU for minimal possibility of wheels spin or torque steer. Is this your first SUV??? I wonder if the new seating position is affecting how you apply the gas and brakes
Old 11-28-09, 09:53 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
too sensitive???? Really????? I thought it felt a little numb to me. Lexus sets up the trans and ECU for minimal possibility of wheels spin or torque steer. Is this your first SUV??? I wonder if the new seating position is affecting how you apply the gas and brakes
This has been about my 6th SUV. None of them jerked out like that when it's cold. I was going to take it in to Lexus but if other people have that problem..maybe we should meet and and check out who is reporting problems and who isn't. Maybe we are just wearing heavy shoes!
Old 11-28-09, 08:16 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had my RX350 about 2 weeks now and have not noticed the accelerator being sensitive. My G35 is hair trigger, but the RX is about right, maybe just a bit sluggish.
Steve
Old 12-05-09, 03:11 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for hair trigger. I noticed that and now am very careful so I don't torque steer into a wall. Once I really hammered it on a left turn to avoid traffic and I was all over the road, people looked at me like I was a crazy speedster!
Old 12-06-09, 07:18 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe all of us w/ the hair trigger throttles had the RX-F pedal installed by mistake
Old 12-09-09, 08:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
compared to most other vehicles these days, toyota/lexus have pretty responsivly tuned drive-by-wire systems.

in most other cars, DBW is very sluggish to achieve better MPG ratings.

so i would think it is an plus :-).

also, does the 350 have SNOW mode? should be less responsive there
The old DBW Lexus and Toyota had some accelaration lag issues, the new RX throttle map may be Lexus' attempt to try to fix that, maybe they just over did it.