RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bi-xenon vs. LED

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 05:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts
Question Bi-xenon vs. LED

I was wondering about the differences between the bi-xenon and LED headlights. I ordered the LEDs but am concerned they might not last as long as the bi-xenons. The main reason I ask is because I see Audis with the angel eyes already out. It makes me question my decision somewhat.
Old 10-22-09, 05:53 PM
spoon808
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say more careful attention was being paid on producing LED' for the main beams. they are in fact designed to be equivalent in performance to the HID system, but consume less energy and last longer. The LED's for the DRL on Audi's haven't been engineered as thoroughly as LED's for Low beam use, and Toyota/Lexus should have them under warranty.

The only difference would be arguably the performance of the LED's. Sure they are a very crisp white, but the high highbeams are in a seperate, halogen reflector. They also wont be as wide and be as sharp at the cutoff as the Bixenons.

I've heard of complaints that the LED system throws too much foreground lighting. can anyone verify this for me?

Last edited by spoon808; 10-22-09 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-23-09, 02:48 AM
spoon808
Rookie

Oh one more thing, since this pertains to the topic. does anyone have high quality pictures of the Bixenon cutoff for both High and Low beams? i'm interested in seeing some since i've checked out the LED system only.
Old 10-23-09, 05:47 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I was wondering about the differences between the bi-xenon and LED headlights. I ordered the LEDs but am concerned they might not last as long as the bi-xenons. The main reason I ask is because I see Audis with the angel eyes already out. It makes me question my decision somewhat.
Anita
After taking delivery of mine with the Bi-Xenon lights (which I love), I drove one at night with the LED's and quite honestly couldn't tell a difference in the short drive. Both of course were the AFS variety.

I've never heard of LED's burning out, I thought life expectancy was one of their strong points. I have two Samsung DLP TV's (52 & 60")with a bank of LED's VS the one bright halogen light. They work great and I expect them to be working when my boys are fighting over what wasn't in the will

So if you ordered the LUX pkg and still want to wait, I wouldn't worry. If you they were your primary reason for ordering and you want to consider something available with the Bi-Xenon's, drive both at night and make your own evaluation. Maybe the dealer will let you take one of each home at night.

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-23-09 at 05:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-23-09, 07:28 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Thank you spoon808 and Jim. I admit I liked the look of the LEDs better than the bi-xenons which is why I ordered them. I should have done a little more research but even then, it's hard to know which is better and not everything is available to check out. Case in point, there are no LED equipped RXs at my dealer to do a comparison. The first chance I might be able to test them is when mine comes in
Old 10-23-09, 07:46 AM
pvo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are ordering our car with LED just because of the look. We didn't research to see how good or bad. We saw the pictures at lexus.com and liked it a lot. After my wife saw it on a silver RX450H at the dealer, she said get a RX450H with LED or no RX
Old 10-23-09, 07:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

LED headlights are the wave of the future, it had already pass xenon as far as lumuns per watts. The biggest problem with high power HID is heat, but as LED become more and efficient, heat ahould be less and less of a problem.
As far as beam pattern and lighting up the road is concerned, LEDs are just like any other light, it will throw out a perfectly good beam if the projector is design correctly.
Old 10-23-09, 09:04 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LED headlamps FTW!
Old 10-23-09, 09:41 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by pvo
We are ordering our car with LED just because of the look. We didn't research to see how good or bad. We saw the pictures at lexus.com and liked it a lot. After my wife saw it on a silver RX450H at the dealer, she said get a RX450H with LED or no RX
Phu, I felt the same way as your wife. The LEDs are too nice

I'm amazed at the amount of new cars I see with a headlight out. They are typically German (MB and Audi) followed by American (Chevy mostly). I know to some it may not be a big deal but I don't want to worry about changing them. I have only done it once in 11 years with the RX. But even that was due to condensation, not because they burned out.

Just curious, I notice the taillights are LED too. Any difference with them?
Old 10-23-09, 12:14 PM
Kyousuke
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm, while we're on this topic...

Are there any OEM parts to swap out the front headlights? I have the 350 RX with Bi-Xenons. I've always thought the 450's LED headlights looked better.
Old 10-23-09, 12:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Most current LEDs are about the same output as the HID systems for a given watt. I have LEDs that are way more efficient than the LEDs in the LS600h, but even then, the output only matches HID for a given 35w or so. I really need a good heatsink just to keep it from overheating.

On the plus side, you can turn on and off LEDs lights with no consequences. HIDs on the other hand...they don't like it at all. General rule is to only allow HID lights to turn on/off 3 times within an hour.

LED will get more efficient and will eventually surpass HID, but as of right now, the lights are a bit too blue/white. Producing LEDs with a high color rendering index while maintaining sun-like color is a bit of a challenge. Efficiency for the same LED bulb is quite lower than that of the blue-ish tint bulbs.
Old 10-23-09, 01:07 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Kyousuke
Hmmm, while we're on this topic...

Are there any OEM parts to swap out the front headlights? I have the 350 RX with Bi-Xenons. I've always thought the 450's LED headlights looked better.
currently no direct replacements, only custom headlight (see link below).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ck-rx450h.html
Old 10-23-09, 01:10 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by GSteg
Most current LEDs are about the same output as the HID systems for a given watt. I have LEDs that are way more efficient than the LEDs in the LS600h, but even then, the output only matches HID for a given 35w or so. I really need a good heatsink just to keep it from overheating.

On the plus side, you can turn on and off LEDs lights with no consequences. HIDs on the other hand...they don't like it at all. General rule is to only allow HID lights to turn on/off 3 times within an hour.

LED will get more efficient and will eventually surpass HID, but as of right now, the lights are a bit too blue/white. Producing LEDs with a high color rendering index while maintaining sun-like color is a bit of a challenge. Efficiency for the same LED bulb is quite lower than that of the blue-ish tint bulbs.
i thought LED headlamps were 5000K? if that is true, it can't be the same as HID 4300K can it?
Old 10-23-09, 04:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't know the exact color temperature, but its most likely around that region. Obviously they aren't as yellow/white as OEM HIDs. But I would guess they're around 5000-6000k range for LEDs.
Old 10-24-09, 06:23 PM
spoon808
Rookie

Originally Posted by spoon808
Oh one more thing, since this pertains to the topic. does anyone have high quality pictures of the Bixenon cutoff for both High and Low beams? i'm interested in seeing some since i've checked out the LED system only.
im still interested ++

Quick Reply: Bi-xenon vs. LED