RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

So I didn't get the new lexus RX-350...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-09, 11:51 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

im not understanding why people are saying this is too expensive.

look at the size of the car relative to other cars. for instance, my C350 started at a base price of 39K. that is more than a base price of the RX but the size of the car is like an IS. the RX is still good value. starts cheap, but if customers want more, it can go up to 60K
Old 10-24-09, 12:43 PM
Kyousuke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
im not understanding why people are saying this is too expensive.

look at the size of the car relative to other cars. for instance, my C350 started at a base price of 39K. that is more than a base price of the RX but the size of the car is like an IS. the RX is still good value. starts cheap, but if customers want more, it can go up to 60K
So true! The 2010RX is a direct competitor with the Q5, GLK, X3. But it's just as big as a ML, X5! Is that not a bargain?
Old 10-24-09, 01:23 PM
RXSF

ML350 priced to max within reason and up to lexus spec: still no ventilated seats, intelligent high beam, pre-collision, head up display, or radar cruise etc. priced at $59,775

X5 priced to max within reason and up to lexus spec (as well as missing some of the above) but with more options than the ML: $63,025

GLK just for comparison sake: $50,375 without anywhere close to the RX feature or size.
Old 10-24-09, 03:33 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Last year we were taking a long drive and our Jeep Grand Cherokee just died on the interstate. We have the Tom Tom gps and it gave us the nearest garage. The gps also gave us our locaton so when we call the garage we can tell them where we are.

How do we do that in the Lexus??? Am I missing anything in the nav system? The Emergency button on the Lexus will give you police station, hospital, dealer, etc. but no garage. A big mistake if I am right.
I think that you should know that under the Lexus warranty, if you call Lexus Care at 800-255-3987, they will send a tow service and tow your car free to the nearest authorized Lexus dealership. If you are more than 100 miles from home they will put you up for 3 nights with the cost not exceeding $200.00 per night. If you need a rental car you get that free for 5 days.

It's all written in the Lexus warranty guide book.

Old 10-24-09, 03:56 PM
RXSF

you even noted that the emergency gives you a dealer. Well...you should really be bringing it to a dealer anyways if you are under warranty. However, check the POIs to see if it lists garages. but really, calling lexus roadside assist is your best bet since its free anyways

also, im not sure if its 100 miles from home, it might be more. the also compensate you on more than lodging, we are talking about food etc
Old 10-24-09, 04:17 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

4482 and RXSF
Thank you for bringing that up. It's sad but this forum sometimes has a tendency to become a place to whine rather than make good points or ask questions. Probably less than one % of the 2010 RX line has a bumper issue (those that do will be taken care of in time) but for a potential RX customer to read that string, it spells gloom and doom for Lexus. So far I've heard from a few folks that might wish they'd bought from a different dealer but I don't think I've read any posts from folks that regret buying the 2010 RX.

And wouldn't you believe that most people who have already purchased this car would be aware of what the warranty covers? Or at least that Lexus will give them a tow and rental and lodging of necessary? I've got to believe some just want to fuel the fire that doesn't really exist.

And the NAV with bluetooth does make it easy to locate your nearest Lexus dealer and call them using the easy to use mouse ???
Old 10-24-09, 04:42 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
However, check the POIs to see if it lists garages. but really, calling lexus roadside assist is your best bet since its free anyways

also, im not sure if its 100 miles from home, it might be more. the also compensate you on more than lodging, we are talking about food etc
As far as the 100 miles, it's on page #5 of the Warranty Guide I received with the RX. Also I would not want my car taken to a "garage". I would want it taken to a Lexus dealer as it says also on page #5 of the Guide. So it's fine with me if my NAV system does not list un-authorized garages, and just lists Lexus dealers. Of course it does list service stations...
Old 10-24-09, 07:55 PM
LexFather

Lexus has continued to raise prices but overall still is a great value. Let us not also forget the car has much more tech and features compared to the last generation, including standard features.

The market has overwhelmingly responded. They feel its priced right. The RX outsells its next closed competitor 4 to 1. It completely outsells all the cute utes combined.

Sure not everyone likes it, wants it and some think its overpriced. The market doesnt.
Old 10-24-09, 08:38 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus has continued to raise prices but overall still is a great value. Let us not also forget the car has much more tech and features compared to the last generation, including standard features.

The market has overwhelmingly responded. They feel its priced right. The RX outsells its next closed competitor 4 to 1. It completely outsells all the cute utes combined.

Sure not everyone likes it, wants it and some think its overpriced. The market doesnt.
And don't forget the resale value.
Old 10-24-09, 09:32 PM
smsprague
Driver School Candidate

Just bought an 09 MDX (for my wife). I tried to push her into the RX 350 or 450H, but I am happy with the MDX. We had it narrowed down to the Lexus RX or MDX. Looked at the Audi Q5/Q7, Mercedes ML, BMW X5, new Cadillac SRX and Buick Enclave.

My wife choose the MDX over the Lexus RX for the following reasons:

1. 3rd row seat
2. More room behind 2nd seat
3. More room for passengers in 2nd seat
4. Rear AC (I live in AZ)
5. Liked the Nav/Audio Interface better
6. Liked the handling better in the MDX
7. Great sound system without paying a premium
8. Can get a good deal on an 09 MDX right now

What She liked about the Lexus RX over the MDX:

1. More Luxurious interior
2. Better Gas Milage
3. Looks better (not to sure I agree)
4. Keyless ignition
5. IPod interface (added after market to MDX)

Bottom line I think the RX was going to be a great car, but she wanted something a little bigger. Just trying to share an experience of someone who shopped around for about 3 months.

Last edited by smsprague; 10-24-09 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-24-09, 09:50 PM
RXSF

size is definately a decision that can sway people and it makes sense. But at the core demographics lexus is aiming for, a 5 seater will do. I think i remember reading that a majority of their buyers have two children.
Old 10-25-09, 12:26 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel stupider having read this thread... and now I'm participating.

Wife has a loaded 2008 RX350, it's louder in terms of engine noise and wind noise than my 2010. Completely disagree. Did the 2010 have 19" wheels? Can't compare if your old RX had 17". Apples to oranges... so don't bother.

Mouse is a huge step forward... need to get used to it. It's like shifting to a new operating system... no one likes the change.

Space seems fine to me. Again, I have a previous generation RX I can directly compare it to... works for me and mine.

Looks... completely disagree. Been stopped more and chatted with at gas stations with this car than any other SUV I've owned.

Price... definitely worth it IMO and when you option out competitors fully, it comes in less. Loaded Q5 costs more than the RX.

Look, car was redesigned and there are changes. Either you like them or your don't. If you don't, don't buy the car.

A lot of features in your older RX are very familiar and now you need to do things differently to accomplish the same task. No one likes that. So either you're willing to make the effort or not.

Had an MDX (2007)... it was a lemon and interior was totally cheap looking given the price of the car. I don't consider it to be in the same class as the RX. Based on the reliability issues I had and way corporate handled the whole situation, I'll never buy another one of their cars.

Last edited by tazdevl; 10-25-09 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-25-09, 07:35 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4482
I think that you should know that under the Lexus warranty, if you call Lexus Care at 800-255-3987, they will send a tow service and tow your car free to the nearest authorized Lexus dealership. If you are more than 100 miles from home they will put you up for 3 nights with the cost not exceeding $200.00 per night. If you need a rental car you get that free for 5 days.

It's all written in the Lexus warranty guide book.

This is very good but you failed to mention that this roadside service is only good for 48 months. After that, the roadside assistance expires. You may join a motor club exclusively for Lexus owners which I assumed has an annual fee (page 6)?

The same thing with Safety Connect- a great service for auto collision notification and auto dialing incase of emergency. Its on for one year only. After that, you have to pay an annual fee.

As long as people are told and are aware that this great services are not permanent and that if you want it to continue to have to pay somebody thats fine.

What about those who buy used Lexus? The services mentioned above are probably expired. Only the normal warranty applies.

Last edited by LeoDLion; 10-25-09 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-25-09, 10:16 AM
smsprague
Driver School Candidate

I have to agree the RX looks better inside. 2007 MDX was the first model year and that is one reason I was a little hesitant on the RX being a new redesign. I do not like buying the first model year, but with the Lexus reputation I was willing to risk it.
Old 10-25-09, 01:43 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
This is very good but you failed to mention that this roadside service is only good for 48 months. After that, the roadside assistance expires. You may join a motor club exclusively for Lexus owners which I assumed has an annual fee (page 6)?

The same thing with Safety Connect- a great service for auto collision notification and auto dialing incase of emergency. Its on for one year only. After that, you have to pay an annual fee.

As long as people are told and are aware that this great services are not permanent and that if you want it to continue to have to pay somebody thats fine.

What about those who buy used Lexus? The services mentioned above are probably expired. Only the normal warranty applies.
I think you failed to mention what car company warranties their cars forever??? I think the Lexus 48 month warranty is pretty good, as it sure beats most American cars with their 3 year warranty. If you buy a used Lexus the balance of the 4 year warranty continues. Of course like with any car when the Lexus warranty expires so do the little perks like the roadside assistance. I'm sure most people are told about the Lexus warranty and perks when they buy the car, and can also read about it in detail in their warranty guide like you and I did.

Nothings lasts forever, not even a Lexus.

Quick Reply: So I didn't get the new lexus RX-350...