RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

So I didn't get the new lexus RX-350...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 08:22 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by memasterac
To the original post:

I do agree some of your points. I believe the latest RX won't lead the luxury SUV sales like it used to be. Not the new RX is not a good car but others have catch up significantly. Driving the RX won’t get me excited, translation is “boring”. It serves its purpose well as a family SUV and I think more female will drive the RX than male.

I test drove a bunch SUVs priced $35K ~ $55k before I purchased a Mazda CX-9 three months ago. The CX-9 made the family SUV fun-to-drive for $41K and I ditched the RX350.
The figures I saw was that the new RX had more male drivers than the last generation (which admittedly was primarily female). I've found it interesting to watch each RX I see now. A surprisingly large proportion are men. So that may be changing.

Secondly, I looked at both the CX-7 and the CX-9. The 7 was VERY limited in its tow capacity (2000 lbs only!) and the CX-9 was too long for me (I live in an urban environment where parallel parking is a daily event).

So, while they may be attractive in some ways, they're just not suited, for various reasons, to me. So they're off the list.

I hope you enjoy the Mazda - I'm sure it's a capable vehicle.

Sandi
Old 10-30-09, 10:40 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
The figures I saw was that the new RX had more male drivers than the last generation (which admittedly was primarily female). I've found it interesting to watch each RX I see now. A surprisingly large proportion are men. So that may be changing.
Sandi
Funny you say that. In Phoenix I primarily see men driving the new RX than women. I bought the car for myself, looks more masculine than previous gen IMO. Wife has her 08 RX and loves the look.
Old 10-30-09, 01:04 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k

Secondly, I looked at both the CX-7 and the CX-9. The 7 was VERY limited in its tow capacity (2000 lbs only!) and the CX-9 was too long for me (I live in an urban environment where parallel parking is a daily event).

So, while they may be attractive in some ways, they're just not suited, for various reasons, to me. So they're off the list.

I hope you enjoy the Mazda - I'm sure it's a capable vehicle.

Sandi
I guess this is it. All prior RX models were targeting the soft drivers, with luxury and cushioned ride being 2 topmost priorities, and were always a big turn off for myself (minivanish seats and console being second).

The image of RX being a female-friendly crossover have stuck, and if I detach myself from the daily driving experience, I can see how hard it can be for others to loose that association with 2010 RX.

Its by far not a perfect product, but its biggest challenge is finding its true identity. Both, by keeping the previous model owners interested, and by attracting those who enjoy more spirited driving and the latest techno-gadgets.

Its the most hottest segment, so competition is fierce (if 5 years ago, someone told me that Buick would make a killer SUV, I would have laughed outloud). Yet, still, somehow RX outsells the entire segment.

As for Mazdas, its funny. I like the specs on paper for CX-9, but talk about 'boring' looks? Plus, for 41k (vs 43k I paid for my RX), I 100% disagree CX-9 is a better pick, but that's just driving preferences and different priorities.
Old 11-02-09, 07:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The 2010 RX350 might have a tad bit stiffer suspension, but I would hardly say it is design for those who enjoy more spirited driving
Old 11-02-09, 01:44 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The 2010 RX350 might have a tad bit stiffer suspension, but I would hardly say it is design for those who enjoy more spirited driving
G Man, I agree the RX is not for those who desire a more spirited driving experience. It's still very much a car targeted more towards females and older drivers with it's soft ride. But a softer ride is what we were looking for.
Old 11-03-09, 08:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DNC
G Man, I agree the RX is not for those who desire a more spirited driving experience. It's still very much a car targeted more towards females and older drivers with it's soft ride. But a softer ride is what we were looking for.
A lot of people prefer a softer ride, thats why the RX out sells all other midsize luxury SUV. The 2010 RX I test drove handle better than our old RX330,but compare to the competition, it is not design for spirited driving. Not that there is anything wrong with that, because the RX350 excels in many other area.
Old 11-03-09, 07:36 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of people prefer a softer ride, thats why the RX out sells all other midsize luxury SUV. The 2010 RX I test drove handle better than our old RX330,but compare to the competition, it is not design for spirited driving. Not that there is anything wrong with that, because the RX350 excels in many other area.
Couldn't say it better myself. Some of us aren't situated about have a sport car out of an suv. Just simply want comfortable, quiet and relaxing ride to the destination. Don't want to be man power a steering wheel or listening to exhaust on a 3 hr trip. Just want to be at the destination relaxed and ready to do business, and this is where Lexus excels. To me the sportier ride is a deterrent as long as the car isn't "mushy soft".
Old 11-03-09, 11:20 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaRacerz
Couldn't say it better myself. Some of us aren't situated about have a sport car out of an suv. Just simply want comfortable, quiet and relaxing ride to the destination. Don't want to be man power a steering wheel or listening to exhaust on a 3 hr trip. Just want to be at the destination relaxed and ready to do business, and this is where Lexus excels. To me the sportier ride is a deterrent as long as the car isn't "mushy soft".
I do not understand why the phrase "spirited driving" gets automatically rebranded into a "sportier ride". You prefer 'ECO' driving in SUV, no problem (the nick could've foolled me). Drive it as an appliance, or a grocery getter, sure, why not. Never plan on taking it above 65, again - your choice. Just do not assign labels to the car based on personal driving preferences. Car does not make the driver. The driver makes the car. As long as the car isn't "mush soft", I agree.

I find RX10 capable enough to fit my driving style, which I consider more aggressive than an average driver - something I found missing in all previous RX models I test-drove ('01, '05, '08). But I do not always drive it like the sky is falling. There are faster and more suited cars for that. I often do enjoy a quite ride from A to B, or on the long family trips. The point is RX10 does both relatively well. Plus, it offers advanced technology and traditional (argumentive) Lexus traits.

Last edited by data2009; 11-03-09 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-04-09, 02:06 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaRacerz
Mark and G Man, I agree. The RX isn't a performance vehicle. It reminds me of a Cadillac Fleetwood my family ordered in the 1980's in that it is not meant for speed or handling like a BMW, instead what it does best is give you a degree of comfort and isolates you from the road. I like that. If I had wanted performance I would have bought with the Audi.
Old 11-04-09, 07:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I think Audi have a combination of handling and comfort. BMW is too stiff for me. The RX has a great ride and accelerate nicely on the highway, but as soon you make some high speed maneuvers, you know you are not in a BMW.
Old 11-04-09, 11:50 AM
sophos
Driver School Candidate

Cars are designed for different uses. I think the RX is great for long daily commutes, running errands, and long trips since it balances well a quiet, relaxing atmosphere and decent carrying capacity.

It isn't the best for an intense driving experience on winding mountain roads, but I don't do that very often. If that was a major focus for me, I'd get a second car for that and it would probably be a Mazda Miata, or if I was wealthy an Audi R8.
Old 11-04-09, 12:56 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

sophos, I agree. If one is looking for a point A to point B luxury SUV that is quiet and smooth. The RX cannot be beat.
Old 11-05-09, 10:20 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by data2009
As for Mazdas, its funny. I like the specs on paper for CX-9, but talk about 'boring' looks? Plus, for 41k (vs 43k I paid for my RX), I 100% disagree CX-9 is a better pick, but that's just driving preferences and different priorities.
You made some good point of view. And I really think the RX is a great luxury SUV and serves its purpose well.

I am simply saying, FOR ME, the 10 RX is a bit boring on the driving excitement. That alone made the RX a less desirable pick than the CX-9, FOR ME. The $41k for CX-9 is the MSRP; I assume $43k is the MSRP for your RX?
Old 11-05-09, 06:55 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by memasterac
You made some good point of view. And I really think the RX is a great luxury SUV and serves its purpose well.

I am simply saying, FOR ME, the 10 RX is a bit boring on the driving excitement. That alone made the RX a less desirable pick than the CX-9, FOR ME. The $41k for CX-9 is the MSRP; I assume $43k is the MSRP for your RX?
No, MSRP on mine was over $47k, but simply comparing the price would not be apples to apples. Again, a matter of personal preferences. In the end, all that matters, is what makes YOU happy, no matter what others think or say. Zoom-zoom!
Old 11-06-09, 06:01 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I think Audi have a combination of handling and comfort. BMW is too stiff for me. The RX has a great ride and accelerate nicely on the highway, but as soon you make some high speed maneuvers, you know you are not in a BMW.
Just curious. have you actually driven the 2010 RX yourself, or are you basing your opinions on internet chatter?

The 3rd gen RX has a double-wishbone rear suspension, which no generation of RX ever had before. Most reviews say the new RX handles quite nicely, including "high speed" maneuvers.

Quick Reply: So I didn't get the new lexus RX-350...