RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

So I didn't get the new lexus RX-350...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 07:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Just curious. have you actually driven the 2010 RX yourself, or are you basing your opinions on internet chatter?

The 3rd gen RX has a double-wishbone rear suspension, which no generation of RX ever had before. Most reviews say the new RX handles quite nicely, including "high speed" maneuvers.
The 2010 RX was on our short list of test drive cars 2 months ago. I agree with the reviewers, the new RX handles quite nicely, unfortunately, there is alway the word "BUT" at the end of every review I have read about the RX's handling. For me, the word " BUT " means better handling than last gen, but still behind most of the competition.
Old 11-06-09, 08:00 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The 2010 RX was on our short list of test drive cars 2 months ago. I agree with the reviewers, the new RX handles quite nicely, unfortunately, there is alway the word "BUT" at the end of every review I have read about the RX's handling. For me, the word " BUT " means better handling than last gen, but still behind most of the competition.
Most of the competition, with maybe the exception of the Audi Q5, also can't compare to the RX's overall refinement, ride quality and comfort. Combine that with decent handling, the RX has a ride/handling compromise that is quite hard to beat.

Most of the competing vehicles that offer better handling either have a stiffer ride than the RX, or the ride is more busy and nervous over rough roads.

I forgot to mention the 3rd gen RX has far more laser seam welds on the chassis than any previous generation RX. The 3rd gen RX therefore has a more rigid chassis than any other RX, also contributing to better ride and handling. Several reviews have mentioned how solid and composed the 3rd gen RX feels compared to previous generations.
Old 11-06-09, 09:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Most of the competition, with maybe the exception of the Audi Q5, also can't compare to the RX's overall refinement, ride quality and comfort. Combine that with decent handling, the RX has a ride/handling compromise that is quite hard to beat.

Most of the competing vehicles that offer better handling either have a stiffer ride than the RX, or the ride is more busy and nervous over rough roads.

I forgot to mention the 3rd gen RX has far more laser seam welds on the chassis than any previous generation RX. The 3rd gen RX therefore has a more rigid chassis than any other RX, also contributing to better ride and handling. Several reviews have mentioned how solid and composed the 3rd gen RX feels compared to previous generations.
without a doubt the RX has refinement and rate high on ride quality and comfort. It was my wife's decision to make, and my input was to buy the RX because of dealer service and reliability, but like most of my suggestions, she ignore me
Old 11-06-09, 10:01 AM
smsprague
Driver School Candidate

G Man,

Same thing happened to me. I recommended that my wife get the 450h, but she ignored me and went with an Acura MDX.
Old 11-06-09, 02:15 PM
ObsidianRX
Driver School Candidate

Lots of interesting thoughts in this thread, and some that are pretty out there IMO. I'm in the camp that admits the noise levels are probably higher than they should be given the RX's pedigree and stated mission, but I think the OP's other criticisms are borderline bizarre. Touch screen NAV systems are pretty much a thing of the past industry-wide for various reasons. Aesthetically I think the 3RX is way ahead of the old ones, though I admit it looks better from some angles than others. And the value criticism is borderline laughable to me, especially given the OP has a BMW.

The GF and I looked at a Q5 and X5, and to get the things she wanted on those trucks was crazy. Want keyless access? That will be $1000 on the BMW, and requires the ~$8K Prestige pack on the Audi. The dark tinted rear windows on the BMW are part of the $900 "Rear Climate" pack. I could go on and on, but there's no point.

The option groupings on the 3RX have irritated a lot of folks, but for us the mid-level setup in our region (19s, Premium, Nav, Comfort Pack) was right on the money at $45,700 less a $3K discount (she bought in April when discounts weren't what they are now). The same truck now has a transaction price in the $41K range with negotiation, and to me there's nothing out there that touches it value wise. You can step down to something like a Pilot, or up to the Q5 or X5, and those trucks all have their merits, but but the 3RX to us was the perfect size, had a fresh design and tech (the '09 X5s had the old Nav/Idrive in them, what a laugh that was on the $54K moderately optioned example we looked at), and she was fine with the tradeoff of some ride comfort for the more planted feel of the new RX.

The new RX is certainly not perfect, but it was (and IMHO still is) the best of what's out there for what she (and to a much lesser degree, I) wanted in a family hauler.
Old 11-09-09, 08:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ObsidianRX
The GF and I looked at a Q5 and X5, and to get the things she wanted on those trucks was crazy. Want keyless access? That will be $1000 on the BMW, and requires the ~$8K Prestige pack on the Audi. The dark tinted rear windows on the BMW are part of the $900 "Rear Climate" pack. I could go on and on, but there's no point.
If you are going to compare the Q5 to the RX, you should really compare the mid level Q5 to the mid level RX. Both have sticker os about $45000. The Q5 have a standard panarama sunroof roof which the RX doesnt have. The RX has the advance key. The Q5 have a better AWD system, the Q5 have LED DRL and a better back up camera system. So as you can see, its pretty even price and option wise. It really depends on what you are looking, a comfortable SUV to make everyone in the cra happy or a high performance SUV that makes the driver real happy
Old 11-09-09, 06:56 PM
data2009
Pole Position

A handy comparison tool is at http://www.truedelta.com. Just select two cars, and choose Maximize shared features checkbox. I find it pretty accurate.

Last edited by data2009; 11-10-09 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 12:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you are going to compare the Q5 to the RX, you should really compare the mid level Q5 to the mid level RX. Both have sticker os about $45000. The Q5 have a standard panarama sunroof roof which the RX doesnt have. The RX has the advance key. The Q5 have a better AWD system, the Q5 have LED DRL and a better back up camera system. So as you can see, its pretty even price and option wise. It really depends on what you are looking, a comfortable SUV to make everyone in the cra happy or a high performance SUV that makes the driver real happy
The Q5 is also significantly smaller yet the RX is just as fast. The RX has a larger NAV screen. The RX offers LED HEADLIGHTS not just cute DRLs.