RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

So I didn't get the new lexus RX-350...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 06:08 PM
jasonjm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I didn't get the new lexus RX-350...

In 2006 when I got my lexus RX-330, it stood out from the pack.

However, 4 years later, I am pretty unsure why people would get the 2010 version.

from my perspective

1) horribly overpriced when options are added, the AWD version gets to over $50k. Half of these options should have been standard IMO (IE on the base model).
2) Engine noise and road noise are WAY worse than than the previous gen, and off the charts when compared to competitors.
3) joystick NAV a step backwards, touchscreen is so much faster, almost like lexus feels the need to join the BMW iDrive parade.
4) lots of wasted space in the front cabin, space was not utilized smartly up there.
5) and lastly, most people will not be able to tell the difference from old version to new (lexus people will, but man on street - no). Since this is a luxury brand, which is supposed to impart some prestige on the buyer, this is a very stupid move by lexus.

Lexus sales are down significantly (far more than other luxury brands), just wondering if more people are seeing the same things I am seeing.
Old 10-23-09, 06:32 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!!

I didn't add a whole lot of bells and whistles(DVD, park assist,etc) but I found my AWD with Nav VERY reasonably priced.

I don't know what was wrong with the car you drove, but my '10RX is the quietest car I've ever been in.

The testers/reviewers in the Car and Driver comparison showdown with 4 other luxury suv's (including bmw) unanimously praised and preferred the Lexus Nav system-even over the BMW which you seem to prefer. Once you get used to this system(which doesn't take very long), it's light years faster (and safer to use) than touchscreen. (I had an '07)

I personally am glad that it doesn't look much different than 2nd gen because I really liked that design, too. Contrary to the Acura MDX for example which changed drastically. I loved the old and hate the new. I certainly don't agree with the logic that "because it's a luxury brand, you impart prestige by changing the look".

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 10-23-09, 08:11 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i get more people looking and staring at my stock RX450h than my modded GS450h. no joke. people on the street can tell at a glance it's new and looks good. lexus sales may be down, but so are other car manufacturers. with regards to the new RX, it is selling like hotcakes. RX is the bread and butter (besides the IS) for lexus, and people are buying it in droves. up here in canada, minimal discount on new RX - if you don't want it, 10 guys behind you will take it. and i spoke to my salesman last week, all the allocated shipments of 450h are all accounted for (ie: pre-sold). that is how hot the new RX is. 'nuff said!
Old 10-23-09, 08:33 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonjm

However, 4 years later, I am pretty unsure why people would get the 2010 version.

from my perspective

1) horribly overpriced when options are added, the AWD version gets to over $50k. Half of these options should have been standard IMO (IE on the base model).
2) Engine noise and road noise are WAY worse than than the previous gen, and off the charts when compared to competitors.
3) joystick NAV a step backwards, touchscreen is so much faster, almost like lexus feels the need to join the BMW iDrive parade.
4) lots of wasted space in the front cabin, space was not utilized smartly up there.
5) and lastly, most people will not be able to tell the difference from old version to new (lexus people will, but man on street - no). Since this is a luxury brand, which is supposed to impart some prestige on the buyer, this is a very stupid move by lexus.

Lexus sales are down significantly (far more than other luxury brands), just wondering if more people are seeing the same things I am seeing.
I read your post twice hoping I could figure out what legitimate point your were trying to make. I couldn't !!!

I take issue with every one of your remarks but instead of addressing all of them which would be pointless with such a jaded impression, I'll just give you this link of research from one of our members. Please read it then then tell us how you came up with your last statement. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nt-leader.html

Old 10-23-09, 08:57 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I read your post twice hoping I could figure out what legitimate point your were trying to make. I couldn't !!!

I take issue with every one of your remarks but instead of addressing all of them which would be pointless with such a jaded impression, I'll just give you this link of research from one of our members. Please read it then then tell us how you came up with your last statement. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nt-leader.html

Make that two. Lost me at the first sentence. Check the sales figures of most luxury SUV brands for 2009.
Old 10-23-09, 10:17 PM
jasonjm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jclem
WOW!!

I didn't add a whole lot of bells and whistles(DVD, park assist,etc) but I found my AWD with Nav VERY reasonably priced.

I don't know what was wrong with the car you drove, but my '10RX is the quietest car I've ever been in.

The testers/reviewers in the Car and Driver comparison showdown with 4 other luxury suv's (including bmw) unanimously praised and preferred the Lexus Nav system-even over the BMW which you seem to prefer. Once you get used to this system(which doesn't take very long), it's light years faster (and safer to use) than touchscreen. (I had an '07)

Good luck with whatever you choose.

hmmm think maybe you misunderstood a bit. I have a bmw 335i with the newest 2010 nav system, and it still sucks. I mean bad. Its better than the previous idrive (specifically the music part). but its still BAD (really bad) - So going the bmw route with nav is the wrong way to go. and there is no ways any joystick or wheel type nav system is going to be faster than touchscreen. dont understand the safety logic, because first of all, you are focused on nav and not the road, and 2nd of all, the lexus makes stop when using nav (not that I blame lexus for this, it seems all asian car makers choose this, its irritating but what can you do).

and im not saying the 2010 RX 350 is bad, its just well OK, but nothing special - and pricey.

and yeah the engine noise and road noise on rx350 2010 is really bad compared to competitors and even SUVs in the non luxury segment.
Old 10-23-09, 10:29 PM
jasonjm
Driver School Candidate

ok 2 legitimate points for you:

1) you are paying a lot relative to what competitors offer, this car no longer stands out. It's not a bad choice, but its certainly not a standout.
2) road noise and engine noise in this car is bad. Don't understand how you all don't notice? maybe you all cranking your music loud, and don't really talk on bluetooth a lot or something? or are used to noisy cars?

as I was pulling out of the dealership in the RX 2010 I was already thinking what the hell, is there a hole in the exhaust or something?

then when i got on the interstate, I thought this must be a bad joke - road and wind noise that was impossible to ignore.

After I wrote my first post, I searched the internet to see if I was imagining things about road noise and engine noise, plenty of car mag reviews noticed the exact same things I did, so I am not making this stuff up.
Old 10-24-09, 12:37 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from my perspective

1) I agree.
2) Yes, at the 20 mph to 50 mph acceleration.
3) I disagree.
4) I agree.
5) That's just nuts. If I was that concerned about what other people thought I would have been much better off to have spent the money on therapy.
Old 10-24-09, 12:58 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

the 2010 model is acually $800 cheaper than the 2009 model. plus i dont think anything changed in terms of being standard to not. However, the RX now gets some really good options like heated and ventilated seats, more speakers choices, semi analine leather, etc. These options were not available in the past, so naturally when there are more options, there will be a price hike. Still reasonable if you ask me. An ML and X5 all start in the mid to high 40K range.

sales are down? interesting, the RX is still the best selling ccar in the lexus line-up and actually was the best selling luxury model in the entire US last month with >8000 units
Old 10-24-09, 02:30 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
1) I agree.
2) Yes, at the 20 mph to 50 mph acceleration.
3) I disagree.
4) I agree.
5) That's just nuts. If I was that concerned about what other people thought I would have been much better off to have spent the money on therapy.
Couldn't have said it better myself . . . so I won't try!

Although I still don't get the noise issue. I'm really curious about folks' thoughts on that. Since it's my wife's car I don't drive it every day but I've found it much quieter than the 05 and 07 RX's.

And I'm not sure I disagree with the mouse/joystick thoughts listed later in this thread by the OP either. Hopefully everyone will give Lexus some feedback about some software upgrades that would be extremely useful in making the system a bit more user friendly (i.e. small audio display while you are in map mode, fixing the iPod 'play at the first selection' issue). It's ok but I'm not sure I would have been unhappy with a touchscreen again. I certainly would like to have the 6 presest buttons on the dash for the audio though. I miss those!

While you (the OP) have some good points, you'll probably find that people who own vehicles will usually lash out when someone insinuates that they were foolish for buying a car that you don't want to buy. I think you lost most people at the first sentence and many will react by denying the very existence of any and every issue with the RX.

Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it . . . especially on a fan site of that vehicle.

Cheers!

Jay
Old 10-24-09, 04:56 AM
np0531
Rookie

Haha I guess since I generally have my music/audio turned up pretty high I never noticed the so called "road noise" in the cabin.

Personally after using the 06 400h Touchscreen NAV for years I love the joystick version. For me it was really annoying to have to lean to touch the touchscreen all the time (I fiddle with my AC controls constantly). With the new system I can control everything without having to lean forward. Not to mention the touchscreen leaves finger smudges like crazy...

Also Lexus only really disables the "Entering a destination function" and the Phone Contacts while the car is moving. And lets face it if you are driving to work and back all the time you aren't gonna be using the navigation function all that much...The fact that you can control the AC, Audio, Phone, Map, etc. with the joystick is very convenient, and much faster than trying to make sure you pressed the correct button on a touchscreen while the car is in motion. At a standstill, I would agree the touchscreen would be faster since you are not concentrating on driving, but when the car is moving joystick combo wins hands down in my book.
Old 10-24-09, 08:32 AM
lmm2009
Driver School Candidate

We have a 2002RX and a new 2010RX. Unfortunately, we wife always says the new RX is noiser and its ride harsher.

I don't mind the ride. I like the powerful engine. But I have to say the noise issue is real. The humming road/tire noise, the wind noise.

I haven't noticed engine noise much.
Old 10-24-09, 09:04 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

horribly overpriced when options are added, the AWD version gets to over $50k. Half of these options should have been standard IMO (IE on the base model).
I would tend to agree on #2. My 2010 RX 350 has an irritating rattle. And there is more than one. However I will let the dealer fix that so lets see. My '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee does not have any rattle for 10 years but the engine is quite noisy.

I like the joystick and button of the nav. The touch screen let you lean over which move your head and eyes.
Old 10-24-09, 09:11 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is one thing on the nav that I want to complain. In my Tom-Tom gps and probably most hand-held gps, I can display the nearest garage. But not with my 2010 RX 350. I find this distrubing.

Last year we were taking a long drive and our Jeep Grand Cherokee just died on the interstate. We have the Tom Tom gps and it gave us the nearest garage. The gps also gave us our locaton so when we call the garage we can tell them where we are.

How do we do that in the Lexus??? Am I missing anything in the nav system? The Emergency button on the Lexus will give you police station, hospital, dealer, etc. but no garage. A big mistake if I am right.
Old 10-24-09, 10:18 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The thing I most appreciate about the new RX is how much better the seats fit me over the previous models!!!

Quick Reply: So I didn't get the new lexus RX-350...