RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How's the initial quality of your RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-12, 08:13 PM
npa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a couple of posts discussing/questioning where their vehicles were built. If the VIN# on your RX 350 starts with a "J", then it was made in Japan; if it starts with a "2" then it was made in Canada.

My take on initial quality & driving experience thus far has been A+. Only minor complaint was the sweaty socks smell that started coming out of the vents after switching off the A/C - that started 6 months after purchase. But the Lysol spray technique mentioned in one of the other threads seems to be holding up since I tried it 3 days back. So far so good!

Overall impression: Still rate it an A+

PS: why does it say "Driver School Candidate" under my user name?

Update of 7/31/12: The sweaty socks smell is starting to come back. Getting a whiff when I run the fan without the A/C - goes away when I switch on the A/C. Time for another round of Lysol spray!

Last edited by npa; 07-31-12 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Update
Old 07-27-12, 04:49 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the forums, glad you're enjoying your car. Post more often and you 'driver school' will improve
Originally Posted by npa

PS: why does it say "Driver School Candidate" under my user name?
Old 07-27-12, 03:56 PM
mrsunny
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My initial impression on RX 350 was simple awesome. All my friends & family whoever sat in the car are simply amazed with the stunning looks, features and luxury of the car in and out. Some of my friends who drive BMWs like the features in the car and compare the things in thier cars and vice versa. So far I have not noticed anything major which is out of normal except for few things in the setup and display options. I noticed onething the other day when I sat in the car, my phone connected to bluetooth itself and started playing the pandora however when I connected my phone via USB the music stopped itself. I checked all the settings and made sure that I selected Bluetooth as the source in the audio options and still it did not play the music. Pandora was still streaming the music but it was just not playing. I switched off the audio and turned it ON again and the music started playing again. It seemed like the audio was reset to iPod mode when I connected my phone via USB and it could not play any music and when I restarted, it went back to Bluetooth which was streaming before. I am still exploring my car and am enjoying every bit of it everyday. I feel like driving the car for no reason
Old 07-28-13, 04:17 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 720 Likes on 527 Posts

I have two observations regarding comments made on this thread. First, there is a lot of debate regarding the ride quality of the 3rd gen RX-350 versus the previous models. Our new 2013 RX (with 19" rims) has a very nice comfortable and quiet ride. We couldn't be more delighted after about 6 months with it. Now is it rougher than our old 2004 RX-330? Honestly, it is too close to tell. It has a marvelous ride, especially for an SUV. Are their smoother riding cars? Yes I'm sure there are. I made sure we did several test drives to make sure we were happy with the vehicle BEFORE we purchased it. If I bought a car and didn't like the ride, I would be upset with myself rather than the manufacturer.

Now, as to the noise coming from the cargo cover, we too have experienced that issue. As it turns out, we had to haul a chair and had to remove the cover and fold the seats down. After it was all put back together, the rattle was gone. This makes me think that either the rear seats or the cover just wasn't latched fully into place. One possibility suggests the noise might actually be coming from the seats instead of the cover. The other point is "hang in there, a fix is there somewhere."
Old 07-29-13, 08:33 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Lightbulb Well said!! do your due diligence before any major purchasese

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I have two observations regarding comments made on this thread. First, there is a lot of debate regarding the ride quality of the 3rd gen RX-350 versus the previous models. Our new 2013 RX (with 19" rims) has a very nice comfortable and quiet ride. We couldn't be more delighted after about 6 months with it. Now is it rougher than our old 2004 RX-330? Honestly, it is too close to tell. It has a marvelous ride, especially for an SUV. Are their smoother riding cars? Yes I'm sure there are. I made sure we did several test drives to make sure we were happy with the vehicle BEFORE we purchased it. If I bought a car and didn't like the ride, I would be upset with myself rather than the manufacturer.

Now, as to the noise coming from the cargo cover, we too have experienced that issue. As it turns out, we had to haul a chair and had to remove the cover and fold the seats down. After it was all put back together, the rattle was gone. This makes me think that either the rear seats or the cover just wasn't latched fully into place. One possibility suggests the noise might actually be coming from the seats instead of the cover. The other point is "hang in there, a fix is there somewhere."
The same thing applies to fuel economy and maintenance costs at the dealership!
Old 07-29-13, 09:05 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

I saw a couple of posts discussing/questioning where their vehicles were built. If the VIN# on your RX 350 starts with a "J", then it was made in Japan; if it starts with a "2" then it was made in Canada.

Our Canadian built cars all have a black label on the inner driver's door post which states that the car was manufactured in Canada by TOYOTA MOTOR MANUFACTURING CANADA. Since I wanted to support North American manufacturing I don't know what the offshore label reads. Lexus clearly has confidence in the quality of the Canadian product since they are moving RX hybrid manufacturing to Cambridge.
Old 07-29-13, 09:40 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

I've noted the seals around the transmission fluid cooler on the front of the drivers side has some red fluid along the pink seal between the metal and I've also had some oil drips, though it is odorless and has the same feel and characteristics of oil will drip every couple days from just under the oil drain pan plug. It seems to be coming from higher up than the lip around the base of the oil pan. Didn't start till it got warmer out and the oil level is hard to read but seems a bit high.

I'm very happy with the vehicle which is a '13 F sport and it drives very nicely. I'm just not overwhelmed with the only close Lexus dealer as the techs are careless and mistakes are made that result in my car being damaged. But since I don't intend to live where I do but for another couple years, that problem will be fixed on its own. Just hoping the fluid leads are just minor and will settle in as the engine only has 1,300 miles and its not worth letting the dealership monkey with stuff and make things worse.
Old 08-02-13, 07:06 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

My 2012 RX-350 built in Japan has been perfect.(Fingers crossed). I went to California to get the built in Japan RX in May of'12.
I have made it a habit to buy the Japan brands of vehicles built in Japan when possible. '07 Honda CR-V, Wife's 2012 IS-250(all built in Japan).
OK so our 2004 Camry was built in Kentucky(it's been excellent).
My Daughter's 2010 Honda Civic was built in Canada with major parts(engine) built in the U.S.,transmission built in Japan!

Before I get an ear full from my friends up North in Canada,I also saved much more money on the deal in Cali for my RX,then at home in Jersey, New York, Pa.
Old 08-03-13, 11:31 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My RX450h has been completely solid and consistent since I purchased it. Unfortunately right after I took delivery, I noticed a few interior noises. I slowly found and fixed each one myself ... but, the whole exercise dampened initial impression of the car. In the future, I will take any Lexus on an extended test drive before taking delivery. The car was new and still had the transport protective plastic covers on it when I selected it off of my dealerships back lot. The noises had come straight from the factory. Anyway ... lesson learned. The actual car and materials have been great otherwise.

Last edited by UCSB; 08-03-13 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-03-13, 04:28 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

The RX is the most reliable car you can buy period, at least from J.D. power. Both the Japanese plant and the Canadian plant have the fewest problems per 100 vehicles compared to any plant in the world. You can be sure the RX will be great regardless of where it is built. It is almost impossible to make a car that has thousands of parts and will be moving and flexing to never have any rattles.
Made in Japan, no problems in 10,000km.
Old 08-05-13, 11:53 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

I wish i got one that was made in Japan since my canadian built RX is the worst Lexus i ever owned..the built quality has been sub-par and things aren't functioning as it should...on top of that, Lexus corporate is unwilling to fix any of the issues i found as they have stated that it was built as designed..anyhow, the RX 350 will be my last Lexus and I am planning to dump it once the Porsche Macan comes out...
Old 08-06-13, 08:13 PM
SB2013RX
Driver School Candidate

After a year of use the RX is holding up. No real problems to speak of. Just wish it had more power plus better MPG. Just dreaming. Power is okay for it's purposes.
Old 08-12-13, 07:51 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my '13 Lexus; plenty of power, just did a 3,000 mile trip and average 26.5 MPG, highest of 31.4 MPG, enjoyed the comfort as drove 552 miles one day; best SUV out there in my opinion, waiting in anticipation of
even better things to come in the re-designed '15....
Old 08-19-13, 12:47 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
My experience has not been good and I would recommend anyone who is in the market for 10RX wait for 11RX. I try to avoid first year model but the timing was such that I needed a replacement and other to compare were MDX[ugly], Q5[waiting list], X60[old folks car], SRX[not out], and MKX[end of cycle]. I have all the issues others have posted here such as iPod disconnect [really annoying], noise from cargo area [from cargo cover], and separating bumper but not as bad as others that have posted [waiting on TSB to take it in for fix]. I do like the “feel” of 10RX compare to 05RX; it has “heavier” steering with little firmer ride [stock 18] and I really do like the design which is design apart for Gen1/Gen2.

I wonder if this will be 16RX? I found this picture online as 3Gen RX. I like this even better that current RX.
I hope this is not the 2016, a much too rounded body.
Old 08-19-13, 12:49 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRX
The RX is the most reliable car you can buy period, at least from J.D. power. Both the Japanese plant and the Canadian plant have the fewest problems per 100 vehicles compared to any plant in the world. You can be sure the RX will be great regardless of where it is built. It is almost impossible to make a car that has thousands of parts and will be moving and flexing to never have any rattles.
Made in Japan, no problems in 10,000km.
I have owned RX's from both countries, no problems with either!