RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tires etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-09, 05:57 AM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tires etc.

Let me begin by stating that I have had a 2004, 2006 RX330 and a 2008 RX 350- all of which I liked and all of which came from the Canadian factory equipped with Michelin tires. My 2010 was Japanese sourced because Ultra premiums are not yet Canadian built. The 2010's that my dealer has had, have had a mix of Michelin and Dunlop tires. The unit i test drove for 10 minutes had Michelin. I wanted Michelins but Lexus Canada told him not to switch the tires. I hate those Dunlop tires--the vehicle feels as firmly planted as Jello- i wish I had never taken delivery of it.

There are a few things that I feel Lexus has cut corners on that I have grown accustomed to and would not have anticipated them cutting corners on for a luxury brand. The "lighting" cutbacks are incredible and unfortunately most test drives happen during the daylight. As has been said before none of the buttons in the overhead console are backlit-which is a huge issue and a big oversight....the footwell lighting goes completely dark instead of just dim when the vehicle is started.....the drink holder in the front console, used to have an light in it as well as be floodlit from the overhead conosle--now it cannot even be seen at night since there is no light in the drink holder and the floodlight from the overhead console is so dim that it is tantamount to useless--unless there is an adjustment that I do not know about. Of course, the rear illuminated scuff plates have been eliminated as well - the ultra get just the front ones. It is strange that, Lexus chose to iluuminate only certain parts of the climate control panel so adjustments to temp are tricky at night.

This will be the last RX unless the tire brand and the lighting issues are
addressed.

dentate
Oshawa,On
Old 11-08-09, 06:05 AM
1Gunner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have no comments on the Dunlops this car has.

But....the premium upgraded leather in our new "Ultra Premium" seems to be "downgraded" from the leather we had in our 2004 "Sport" RX330.
Or maybe I'm just imagining this.......
Old 11-08-09, 10:52 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dentate
Let me begin by stating that I have had a 2004, 2006 RX330 and a 2008 RX 350- all of which I liked and all of which came from the Canadian factory equipped with Michelin tires. My 2010 was Japanese sourced because Ultra premiums are not yet Canadian built. The 2010's that my dealer has had, have had a mix of Michelin and Dunlop tires. The unit i test drove for 10 minutes had Michelin. I wanted Michelins but Lexus Canada told him not to switch the tires. I hate those Dunlop tires--the vehicle feels as firmly planted as Jello- i wish I had never taken delivery of it.

There are a few things that I feel Lexus has cut corners on that I have grown accustomed to and would not have anticipated them cutting corners on for a luxury brand. The "lighting" cutbacks are incredible and unfortunately most test drives happen during the daylight. As has been said before none of the buttons in the overhead console are backlit-which is a huge issue and a big oversight....the footwell lighting goes completely dark instead of just dim when the vehicle is started.....the drink holder in the front console, used to have an light in it as well as be floodlit from the overhead conosle--now it cannot even be seen at night since there is no light in the drink holder and the floodlight from the overhead console is so dim that it is tantamount to useless--unless there is an adjustment that I do not know about. Of course, the rear illuminated scuff plates have been eliminated as well - the ultra get just the front ones. It is strange that, Lexus chose to iluuminate only certain parts of the climate control panel so adjustments to temp are tricky at night.

This will be the last RX unless the tire brand and the lighting issues are
addressed.

dentate
Oshawa,On
My 2010 RX which was made in Canada came with Bridgestone tires. They are very noisy. I confirmed this when my car was in for tranny repair and I was given a loner 2010 RX with Michelin tires. They were very quiet, and so much better than the Bridgestones.
I agree with your comments 100% on the interior lighting problems. Lexus sure goofed on the interior lighting.

Old 11-08-09, 11:37 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with tires and illuminated/backlit issues... They suck. I really got hard time to use garage remote buttons.
Old 11-08-09, 03:27 PM
psu77
Rookie

I have the Rx450h, but on the Rx350 do you have a pinhole light that shines down from the overhead console? I am able to cup the light with my hand and see the garage door remote buttons.
Old 11-08-09, 03:34 PM
GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

Default A cheaper RX

I agree that Lexus has cheaped out on the car. My 2005 RX330 had much better interior lighting and better leather. There were many subtle features like the scuff plate lighting that came with the RX330. Now you have to buy the "ultra-premium" car to get only the front door scuff plates.
I'm sorry I bought off the lot. I should have ordered a car.
But I do have Michelins on my 2010 and they are great.

Last edited by GSLEX; 11-08-09 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-09, 04:55 PM
euroja153
Driver

I have the 18 inch Michelins, I wouldnt say they are so great, but I have no complaints. Ive bought Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter, having them installed tomorrow. Plus 1 on the interior lighting, my Audi was much better lit.
Old 11-09-09, 01:13 PM
Aloger
Driver School Candidate

I couldnt agree with you more dentate. I hate the fact that there are no lights on the overhead buttons. It is soooo dark in the rx at night. I hate that they cheapened out on those lights and the lights in the door sills. My 2005 RX had lights in all 4 door sills and the overhead buttons were lighted up which was great. I also hate the fact there are no lights in the cupholders. The lights were not the only thing lexus cheapened out on. They also got rid of the roof cross bars, the chrome exhaust tip, and the retractable privacy cover. One thing I have found is that lexus cant make a proper transmission. On my 2005 it clunked every damn shift and this 2010 keeps shuddering and Lexus can never fix this problems. Oh and the rattles are annoying as hell too.

As for the tires I specifically asked for michelin 19 inch tires becuase I have always found that michelins last longer than any other tires I have had. I had dunlops on my mazda and they wore out sooo quickly. This is probably my last lexus as well.
Old 11-11-09, 10:33 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psu77
I have the Rx450h, but on the Rx350 do you have a pinhole light that shines down from the overhead console? I am able to cup the light with my hand and see the garage door remote buttons.
Well, 350 does have it. But that solution looks cheap. Sometimes it's still easy to miss buttons.
Old 11-12-09, 05:16 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aloger
I couldnt agree with you more dentate. I hate the fact that there are no lights on the overhead buttons. It is soooo dark in the rx at night. I hate that they cheapened out on those lights and the lights in the door sills. My 2005 RX had lights in all 4 door sills and the overhead buttons were lighted up which was great. I also hate the fact there are no lights in the cupholders. The lights were not the only thing lexus cheapened out on. They also got rid of the roof cross bars, the chrome exhaust tip, and the retractable privacy cover. One thing I have found is that lexus cant make a proper transmission. On my 2005 it clunked every damn shift and this 2010 keeps shuddering and Lexus can never fix this problems. Oh and the rattles are annoying as hell too.

As for the tires I specifically asked for michelin 19 inch tires becuase I have always found that michelins last longer than any other tires I have had. I had dunlops on my mazda and they wore out sooo quickly. This is probably my last lexus as well.
Yes I am quite annoyed at the non-chrome exhaust tips. I will be buying an aftermarket exhaust to fix that.

You said your 2010 keeps on shuddering when you shift? I believe this is a seriouis problem and if it were me demand that it be fix. This sounds like you can invoke the lemon law.
Old 11-12-09, 06:55 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

LeoDLion, I was thinking the same thing about the exhaust. It looks well hidden but is an eyesore. Let me know what you find.

Last edited by kitlz; 11-12-09 at 06:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-15-09, 08:54 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
Well, 350 does have it. But that solution looks cheap. Sometimes it's still easy to miss buttons.
Well, here's a military solution to the lack of lighting...use a piece of foil tape and angle it...lights up the #2 button well, then from there you can figure where the others are. You can make it as pretty as you want...this was just a test so there's alot of crinkles. Also, I put the mesh on the main front grill to protect from bugs, rocks, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Tires etc.-dscf2611.jpg   Tires etc.-dscf2612.jpg  
Old 11-15-09, 01:18 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by afpj
Also, I put the mesh on the main front grill to protect from bugs, rocks, etc.
Good job! Did you put the mesh below the bumper as well ?
Old 11-15-09, 04:14 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 4482
Good job! Did you put the mesh below the bumper as well ?
Yes indeed, mesh on the lower part as well as over the tranny cooler. For me, the holes on the gutter guard are too big. This size is about the same as those aftermarket bug screens you can put on the front of your RV (like a car bra).
BTW, I got the Dunlop tires, and they seem just fine. Granted, haven't driven a 10RX with the Michelins so I don't know what I'm missing I suppose. However, our 05RX330 had Michelins, and when I switched out to Bridgestone Alenzas (due to tire damage, about half tread life left), the Bridgestone's were much smoother and quieter. Got 10k miles on it now, so we'll see how the Dunlops wear.
Old 11-16-09, 07:37 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by afpj
Yes indeed, mesh on the lower part as well as over the tranny cooler. For me, the holes on the gutter guard are too big. This size is about the same as those aftermarket bug screens you can put on the front of your RV (like a car bra).
BTW, I got the Dunlop tires, and they seem just fine. Granted, haven't driven a 10RX with the Michelins so I don't know what I'm missing I suppose. However, our 05RX330 had Michelins, and when I switched out to Bridgestone Alenzas (due to tire damage, about half tread life left), the Bridgestone's were much smoother and quieter. Got 10k miles on it now, so we'll see how the Dunlops wear.
I got the Bridgestones, which are very noisy. I had the Michelins on my 05 and loved them.
I'm wondering what kind of mesh you used, as it looks like window screening? Also how did you anchor it?

Quick Reply: Tires etc.