RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

10k miles service cost

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 09:12 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Default 10k miles service cost

Had 10k service done last week. Cost about $250! Oil change, tire rotation, inspections, loaner. The biggest jump was $75 for the oil, compared to our 05RX, where $150 got you the same service. Wondering what others are paying at their respective stealerships.
Old 11-18-09, 10:51 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by afpj
Had 10k service done last week. Cost about $250! Oil change, tire rotation, inspections, loaner. The biggest jump was $75 for the oil, compared to our 05RX, where $150 got you the same service. Wondering what others are paying at their respective stealerships.
That's just absurd. To pay $250 for an oil change???

My 10k service is free from the dealer I purchased, but if 15k service comes with an absurd tag, I have a friendly Toyota dealership nearby...
Old 11-19-09, 02:48 AM
euroja153
Driver

If that is all they did, my dealership charges $100 cad plus tax. Is the loaner not free? We dont even need to refill gas here.
Old 11-19-09, 04:43 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Synthetic oil can be expensive. If at $12 per can and 6 cans=$72 already. I have not done the oil filter change (not for a while) but the procedures sound complicated. I have free oil and filter change up to 25K so it will be a while.
Old 11-20-09, 07:56 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, tons of ppl here got the free oil chage up to 10K, some got 15K. With 20K and 25K free, this is one of the greatest deal if you also got the huge discount off the MSRP.
Old 11-21-09, 07:49 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Our dealer just sent out an email for $49 oil change. I imagine they'd ding a little more to add the tire rotation but should still be under $100.
Old 12-05-09, 09:46 PM
jessicazi
Driver School Candidate

Just paid about $200 for my 10k service. yikes.
Old 12-06-09, 07:29 PM
SALTY2
Rookie

Originally Posted by euroja153
If that is all they did, my dealership charges $100 cad plus tax. Is the loaner not free? We dont even need to refill gas here.
Wow That's good service for Quebec. Which dealership do you go to? I wonder if they honor the US warranty?
Old 12-06-09, 07:33 PM
SALTY2
Rookie

Guys, I might be saying something stupid here(my first Lexus) so please forgive me, but I am very curious, how about changing the oil yourself or taking the car to Costco or Jiffylube?
Old 12-06-09, 08:29 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SALTY2
Guys, I might be saying something stupid here(my first Lexus) so please forgive me, but I am very curious, how about changing the oil yourself or taking the car to Costco or Jiffylube?
I went to my Lexus dealer service for the first time and there is one thing I noticed. The service area is nice with free good coffee, water, etc., plenty of space and sofas, magazines, and even a business cubicle. What I noticed is there are plenty of women waiting in there compare to men. Maybe 90% are women. Hmmmmm.

Now I certainly do not expect a woman to be changing oil do we? And whatever you do, DO NOT take your car to Jiffylube or one of those 15-min oil change places. You will be sorry. I've heard of oil drain plugs put on so tight even a gorilla can not loosen it. Perhaps you are better off with a Toyota dealer.
Old 12-06-09, 08:53 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, thought about doing it myself for a couple of seconds, but if anything happened, I will probably not be around to take care of it. Dealer is close to school and wife's work, and yes, she's the one that drives it and therefore takes it in. Plus, the loaner is REALLY helpful. She's now spoiled.
Was wondering if the synthetic oil jacked up the price uniformly, as our 05RX oil change cost was about $150, and the old 2nd gen forum had some pretty wildly different spectrum ends for dealer oil change prices.

SALTY2, do you or anyone you know change their own oil on the 10 RX? I've been trying to confirm wether or not it uses a standard screw on filter or you just change the element....which would be much messier I think.
Old 12-07-09, 09:43 AM
SALTY2
Rookie

I ususlly change my own oil. I have not done it on my RX350 yet, since it's just 3 weeks that I've had it, but I let you know how hard it is, when I do.
Old 12-09-09, 08:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SALTY2
how about taking the car to Costco or Jiffylube?
Jiffy lube? You might as well drive your car up against a wall
Old 12-09-09, 01:01 PM
davesmith
Driver School Candidate

The reason for price jump is because the new 0-20 weight oil is required on the 2010 RX...the older Rx generation uses 5-30 toyota bulk oil...the new factory 0-20 oil is mobil 1 synthetic oil repackaged for toyota use. It costs about $98 for just the oil change at a Lexus dealership here.

Tire rotation, brake inspection is extra with the 10K service.

So you are not being ripped off.

If you take it to jiffy lube or express lube place like costco or walmart, do you think those places know what they are doing? Do they know what oil type to put in? Do you think they care?

Someone mentioned about tightened drain plug, there are many times loose drain plug that cause oil leak, if you don't notice it..and find out when a check engine light comes on, then it maybe too late where a new engine is required Do you want to go through the hassle of small claims and being without a car until the claim is settled? Or do you rather spend about an hour waiting at your local dealership for the oil change to be done correctly in the first place?

You paid so much for the price of a Lexus and mostly for it's reputation of exceptional customer service, don't cheap out when it comes to getting it serviced. You'd be missing out all the luxurious amenity/service that comes naturally with your Lexus.
Old 01-09-10, 11:03 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I paid nothing for this 10K maintenance, my dealer did show me how much it costs (in this dealer). It's the same as 5K's price tag. (20K and 25K are also the same here.)
  • Multi points inspections
  • Engine Oil and filter
  • rotate tires
  • check and top off all fluids
  • Wash and vacuum

$119.95

I guess the 15K will cost more due to the replacement of filters and other stuff.

Quick Reply: 10k miles service cost