RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

First Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 05:20 AM
iewiew
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Road Trip

We are traveling from Dallas to Ontario,CA via Las Vegas. We spent last night in GALLUP, NM. The RX has been great so far, we are running 70 to 80 MPH. Gas mileage so far has been about 23 GPH. Now the ugly stuff. The Nav system is not as good as my Tom Tom. We always seem to average 45 MPH. To not be able to change the Nav in motion is the most stupid idea ever. Would not take Albuquerque, NM when I was in Amarillo, had to change region, another dumb idea. I will have to program todays itinerary before I leave the Hotel, bummer. Also changed time zones in NM, nope couldn't do that until I stopped. Stay tuned.
Old 11-20-09, 05:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The nav lockout is one of the reasons I would never buy another Lexus or Toyota Nav system. Its a stupid idea and no one else in the industry is doing it. Have Lexus or Toyota ever thought there may be a passenger in the car that can operate the Nav safely when in motion, I guess Toyota and Lexus didnt put too much thought into this dumb lockoutof the nav. Lexus and Toyota try to set a safety standard in the industry with the lock out, but all the other manufacturer are basically ignoring them.
Old 11-20-09, 08:48 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Every posted complaint about the Nav system makes me increasingly happy that I didn't order it on mine.

Sandi
Old 11-20-09, 10:13 AM
sophos
Driver School Candidate

I googled "nav system lockout" and it looks like a lot of manufacturers disable features while moving.

Nissan
Infiniti
Chevy
Cadillac
Subaru
Ford
Jeep
... and others I'm sure
Old 11-20-09, 12:42 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The region selection is a god send. My MDX searches the whole country and it is pretty slow and you get a lot of results that are far away. While it doesn't block nav in motion, it is still very distracting and I tend not to do it anyway. The Lexus voice commands to input destinations work very well for me in the GS. Give them a try!
Old 11-20-09, 03:23 PM
beckysdad
10th Gear

Default Override worth the price

The override works well and was not that hard to install.
I ordered the override from Prestigious Society www.prestigioussociety.com.

Tom
Old 11-21-09, 03:38 PM
iewiew
Driver

Default 2nd leg of trip

From Gallup to Las Vegas. Now have 11K miles on car. Ran at 80 mph from Gallup to Flagstaff still computer says I averaged 46 MPH, is there a reset for average mph? Mileage still 23 mpg. The algorithm for time, distance, speed is also strange. Distance/Speed=Time, therefore 160 miles divided by 80 mph = 2 hours, computer said 2 hours 44 minutes wtf. Mileage estimates are close, time to get there is way off.

From Las Vegas, distance to Rancho Cucamonga was close, time again was way off.
Old 11-21-09, 05:40 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by iewiew
From Gallup to Las Vegas. Now have 11K miles on car. Ran at 80 mph from Gallup to Flagstaff still computer says I averaged 46 MPH, is there a reset for average mph? Mileage still 23 mpg. The algorithm for time, distance, speed is also strange. Distance/Speed=Time, therefore 160 miles divided by 80 mph = 2 hours, computer said 2 hours 44 minutes wtf. Mileage estimates are close, time to get there is way off.

Sorry, I'm sitting in the house without the manual, but there is a setting you adjust to tell the nav system how fast you drive on three different kinds of roads. Correcting those settings will fix the amount of time the nav says it takes to drive from point A to B.

However, I don't know how the average speed is calculated. I drive much faster than the average most of the time.
Old 11-22-09, 05:27 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beckysdad
The override works well and was not that hard to install.
I ordered the override from Prestigious Society www.prestigioussociety.com.

Tom
I second this. Read the thread in this forum about this great little gizmo. I agree that the lockout is stupid, but as someone else stated, many other mfrs have done it. At least this little unit provides a great work-around.
Old 11-23-09, 07:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lucasb7
While it doesn't block nav in motion, it is still very distracting and I tend not to do it anyway. The Lexus voice commands to input destinations work very well for me in the GS. Give them a try!
If it is distracting, then one should not use it while in motion, its common sense really. My complain is that, why does Lexus lock out the passenger from entering a nav destination? How is that a safety issue? Personally, I think it is insulting that Lexus think that we cannot make our own judgement as far as what is safe to do and what is not. So what is next for Lexus, motion lock out for changing radio stations, or maybe HVAC lock so we can keep our eyes on the road.
Old 11-23-09, 08:33 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by iewiew

You can set the average mph used in time calculations by going into the setup screen and selecting Navi. I use 25 in town, 55 on main roads and 70 for freeways and it comes close on time if we don't stop too long enroute. The average speed should reset itself when you fillup like the tank mpg does. The overall mpg seems to just run on without a reset that I have found.

The voice command function on the RX seems to be very good. I have used it while driving several times and was amazed that it worked as advertised. With this working, I won't need an override.
Steve
Old 11-23-09, 01:29 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=The G Man;5017483] Its a stupid idea and no one else in the industry is doing it. QUOTE]

not exactly true. mercedes has a lockout too, though its not as restrictive in terms of audio controls. But you still cant input a destination while in motion
Old 11-24-09, 01:59 PM
iewiew
Driver

Default Update

Went into Navi today and shure nuff there are 3 little speedometers to set for averaging speed to time arrival. What a dumb idea, why not take actual speed and and update time?????

The average speed, average mpg on the dash can be reset by pushing on the page button on steering wheel. Average speed on dash will update slooooowly never get to real average. What are they thinking???

Maybe I am being to hard considering I spent nearly $50,000.