RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus Nav is overrated

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 10:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogcutter
Cool. The Germans are getting with the program now.

I would be really hacked about the lock out, but like you say it seems to be spreading among the car makers aside from your Audi.

Took the RX out on the ice for the first time yesterday -- really nice. Couldn't get it to slip. I used the Hybrid Snow mode, but I'm not sure what it does but the control on slick surfaces is great.

Now I need some deep snow. My X5 was the best deep snow vehicle I had ever driven, so I'm eager to see what the RX will do.

Back to the lock out, the dealer keeps saying to use voice control, which I suppose is OK, so far I haven't had trouble, but some folks just can't catch on it seems.
Yes, the new 5 series and the E-class has a lot of those music options as well. The Lexus stability is one of the best in my opinion, it gave Lexus the option of going to a reaction based AWD system. The permanent AWD system in the X5 will always be better, but its only as good as your tires most of the time.
Voice control is hit or miss for me, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Surprisingly, the address input portion of the Lexus voice command works quite well most of the time.
Old 12-09-09, 02:53 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Yes, the new 5 series and the E-class has a lot of those music options as well. The Lexus stability is one of the best in my opinion, it gave Lexus the option of going to a reaction based AWD system. The permanent AWD system in the X5 will always be better, but its only as good as your tires most of the time.
Voice control is hit or miss for me, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Surprisingly, the address input portion of the Lexus voice command works quite well most of the time.
We had a Lincoln Navigator that had a reaction based AWD. The problem was that the rear wheels were the primaries and there was a 1/2 to 1 sec lag from slip detection to engagement. One time that lag was enough to send my wife spinning down the interstate before the AWD kicked in and she regained control. We were glad to see that lease end.

The Lexus is front biased and inherently more stable, the AWD is icing on the cake. I love the fact that there is no rear drive shaft! How cool is that? From what I gather we lose some towing capacity, but I don't tow much anyway.

Tried the remote start this morning. The car came to life and was warm by the time I got to it. The system knows to fire up the defroster. I could clean the garage and park inside, but this is fun for now.
Old 12-09-09, 04:10 PM
SALTY2
Rookie

Originally Posted by ajs
Getting a Nuvi for 1/4 the price of Lexus nav. is actually pretty expensive. I got a brand new Nuvi model with all accessories for $200, while the Lexus nav. option price is $2500.
My Nuvi has maps of Europe as well, and the price that I was offered was much much less than MSRP
Old 12-09-09, 08:27 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

Hyndai and I've read some other car makers now sell Nuvis instead of built in NAVs.
Really a great value.
Old 12-10-09, 07:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

We had a Lincoln Navigator that had a reaction based AWD. The problem was that the rear wheels were the primaries and there was a 1/2 to 1 sec lag from slip detection to engagement. One time that lag was enough to send my wife spinning down the interstate before the AWD kicked in and she regained control. We were glad to see that lease end.

The Lexus is front biased and inherently more stable, the AWD is icing on the cake. I love the fact that there is no rear drive shaft! How cool is that? From what I gather we lose some towing capacity, but I don't tow much anyway.

Tried the remote start this morning. The car came to life and was warm by the time I got to it. The system knows to fire up the defroster. I could clean the garage and park inside, but this is fun for now.
The Lincoln Navigator must not have a stability system, it should never spin out like that. Couple of things going for the RX's awd system is that, even though it is reaction based and light duty, it does have a 4WD lock which comes in very handy. When you couple that with Lexus' excellent stability system, it makes the AWD seem that much more stable.

On your remote stater, is it a Lexus one? I remember my on last Lexus remote starter, you would start the car by remote, but once you enter the car, the engine would stop and you have to start the car again. What a pain that was, are they still like that or have Lexus ease up on the safety big brothering a bit?
Old 12-10-09, 08:30 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man

On your remote stater, is it a Lexus one? I remember my on last Lexus remote starter, you would start the car by remote, but once you enter the car, the engine would stop and you have to start the car again. What a pain that was, are they still like that or have Lexus ease up on the safety big brothering a bit?
Yup, it's the Lexus factory starter, and yup, it shuts off as you enter the car. It also seems to shut off after 15-20 minutes.

Mother Lexus loves us and doesn't want us to hurt ourselves.
Old 12-10-09, 12:01 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, it's the Lexus factory starter, and yup, it shuts off as you enter the car. It also seems to shut off after 15-20 minutes.

Mother Lexus loves us and doesn't want us to hurt ourselves.
Just like how a mother protect her 5 year old