RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus Nav is overrated

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 02:01 PM
jacksonlui
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Nav is overrated

I've always thought Lexus would have the latest and greatest in terms of NAV with excellent user interfaces. imo, my cheap 200 Nuvi is head over heels better. it reroutes better, gives better directions, more intuitive, and even the maps look better. Too bad Lexus can't team up with Garmin and create a end all solution. The only thing Lexus has going is the integration, larger screen, and force feedback interface.
Old 11-23-09, 02:15 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Takes a long time to bring a car to market... things get spec'd you can't change once you've locked things in. I'm sure they also have their own internal politics that require them to use certain vendors etc... Other problem is they need to quit asking the usual suspects when they're doing market research on the front end of the development.

Agree though... they need to do a better job on the technology side and integration. My iPhone 3GS has better, faster, more accurate and consistent sounding feedback with the voice recognition than the RX.

Call consumer affairs and complain. Nothings going to get fixed if they don't hear from customers.

Last edited by tazdevl; 11-23-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-23-09, 03:34 PM
jacksonlui
Rookie

it wouldn't be that bad if dealers stop bundling packages s owe can pick and choose the options we want. these days options aren't options. basically the consumer gets to choose package a, b, or c. i know certain areas get different packages and dealers can't afford to keep a variety on the floor but in the end, the consumers are the ones that are misled. again, you're right that nothing gets done unless we complain to CA and at this point i'm just whining. I don't think it has irritated me enough to take that step.

Lexus needs to step up to find out what the end customers really want, not what the dealers want. I think it's their job not ours to complain. That's the only way they can retain a loyal base.
Old 11-23-09, 05:18 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So stop complaining and do what I did - make a special order, and wait 5.5 months to get what you really value.

Sandi
Old 11-23-09, 05:23 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jacksonlui
it wouldn't be that bad if dealers stop bundling packages s owe can pick and choose the options we want. these days options aren't options. basically the consumer gets to choose package a, b, or c. i know certain areas get different packages and dealers can't afford to keep a variety on the floor but in the end, the consumers are the ones that are misled. again, you're right that nothing gets done unless we complain to CA and at this point i'm just whining. I don't think it has irritated me enough to take that step.

Lexus needs to step up to find out what the end customers really want, not what the dealers want. I think it's their job not ours to complain. That's the only way they can retain a loyal base.
I agree about the Navi 100%. The sad thing, its considered one of the best, as far as built-in Navis go. I consider Acura's to be more intuitive and much easier to navigate the maps (I like Lexus's controller). Pairing it with a Hard-drive, with ability to upload the updates from the USB key would make it leap light years ahead, imo.
Old 11-23-09, 06:00 PM
jacksonlui
Rookie

I'm not as hardcore as you Sandi

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
So stop complaining and do what I did - make a special order, and wait 5.5 months to get what you really value.

Sandi
Old 11-23-09, 06:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

jacksonlui, special order is the way to go. You can get exactly what you want. It feels great knowing my RX will be specially built for me. And it sure beats when they came out in 98 and only had the basic and premium packages available.
Old 11-23-09, 07:02 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not as hardcore as you Sandi
So, then you've made an informed choice, and you DID buy what you value - a car now, with a Nav system you don't like so much.

I don't think it's hardcore to spend your money on things that bring you enjoyment, rather than irritation. YMMV.

One other thought - my special order was primarily for the Sport Package, not so I could get a "non-Nav" RX. If you haven't bought yet, you can probably do a dealer search, and get a non-Nav-equipped car. I know they exist on CA lots, because I drove one w/o Nav in April...

Sandi
Old 11-23-09, 07:44 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Question: if there are no radio preset buttons on the dash and is all integrated into the nav, where do the radio preset buttons go? in the other non nav screen, it only displays trip information/AC and clock
Old 11-23-09, 08:38 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

I have the BMW and now the Lexus cars with Nav and wish the two could be combined--I find too much info on the lexus screen and I needs to study the book cause if I hit the wrong button with the pointer it is not intiutive (for me) to get back to where I was.

Finally have learned to speak to nav while driving.
Old 11-24-09, 07:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal56
--I find too much info on the lexus screen and I needs to study the book cause if I hit the wrong button with the pointer it is not intiutive (for me) to get back to where I was.
Lexus need a back, last page or a return button as found on some nav system.
Old 11-24-09, 01:07 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

.. Too bad Lexus can't team up with Garmin and create a end all solution. The only thing Lexus has going is the integration, larger screen, and force feedback interface.
This has happen over and over. Companies try to put together something which is not their main line of business. Lexus should have paired with a sole gps provider such as Garmin, Magellan, etc. instead of putting together their own gps from different suppliers (e.g. Denso, CoStar, etc). These gps companies will make sure their product is the latest and the greatest in order to be best in kind and beat the competition.

I used to consult for a company that does control software for electrical power distribution. They created their own relational database system. Big error. It took so long, was expensive and when they got done after so many years, it was absolete compare to the current rdbs.

Same with Lexus. They are not gps manufacturer nor are they integrators. Give the business to companies who will give you the best and keep it at the edge of technology all the time.

Last edited by LeoDLion; 11-24-09 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-24-09, 02:40 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In 2004 I had a small Garmin PDA navagation system that I used in my Avalon.
It used 12 satellites for tracking. It was accurate up to about 7 to 9 feet. If you punched in an address, it would take you right there. It not only tracked your location, but also was able to give you your altitude.
I was disappointed in the NAV unit in my 2005 RX as it was steps backwards from the Garmin. I thought the 2010 RX might have better tracking, but found it's not much better than the 2005. It seems I read somewhere that it works on only two (2) satellites. No wonder it gets you close to your target address, but not exactly to it.
The plus on the Lexus NAV system is the larger screen and ease of programing. As others have said, there is room for great improvement.
Old 11-25-09, 07:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Garmin already makes a nav for mopar, Its in a lot of the Jeep and Chrysler products.
Old 11-25-09, 02:27 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Garmin already makes a nav for mopar, Its in a lot of the Jeep and Chrysler products.
I think just about all of the NAV units use the NAVTEQ maps. Of course the maps are always 3 to 5 years behind.

Quick Reply: Lexus Nav is overrated