RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 11:30 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
Good question, JT4. If you run a quick search on one of the Lexus parts sites for the two model choices, and compare front seat part numbers, that should answer the question. I would do it out of curiosity my self, but just don't enough spare time for a "search and destroy" mission right now.
Maybe when I get some spare time myself, I'll run a search for the heck of it..
Old 09-15-16, 12:55 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I really think Lexus cheaped out on the seat. My 01 RX seats are still great and give great support up to 4 to 5 hours of driving straight - that's the max for me, as I'd have to take a bathroom/gas break. Yet, in fairness to Lexus bean counters, the rear seats on the 01 RX really sucked big time. It was almost like an after thought. That's not the case in my 13 RX. they are actually more supportive and feel like well made seats.

I'm asking my mechanic right now to see if it's possible to swap the seats from my 01 model to 13 model. I'll post an update on hearing back.
Old 09-15-16, 12:58 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

let us know what they say.
Swapping seats may void the warranty, but if you are already out of warranty based on miles, then thats not an issue

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I really think Lexus cheaped out on the seat. My 01 RX seats are still great and give great support up to 4 to 5 hours of driving straight - that's the max for me, as I'd have to take a bathroom/gas break. Yet, in fairness to Lexus bean counters, the rear seats on the 01 RX really sucked big time. It was almost like an after thought. That's not the case in my 13 RX. they are actually more supportive and feel like well made seats.

I'm asking my mechanic right now to see if it's possible to swap the seats from my 01 model to 13 model. I'll post an update on hearing back.
Old 09-15-16, 02:10 PM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Seats are tied into the air bag system . It will throw a code and bags wont work .
Old 09-15-16, 02:48 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I just confirmed that the part number for the front seat assembly is exactly the same for both the Base and F-Sport models for 2013.
Old 09-16-16, 04:44 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by F250
I just confirmed that the part number for the front seat assembly is exactly the same for both the Base and F-Sport models for 2013.
Well there goes my theory.... Thanks for looking it up..
Old 09-16-16, 09:06 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by MellonC00

No go. They are actually different dimensions all together and the old seat won't even fit inside of the new car. The old one was wider. The base (seat area) was also taller.........
Old 09-19-16, 10:49 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

So I test drove a couple of vehicles today in hopes of trading my RX in. First one out was a 2013 GS350 with the 18 way adjustable seats. Went on an extended drive to make sure it would work. Absolutely love the car and the way it handles. It got better MPG than the RX450h but the seats were just as bad. Made it 10 miles before heading back to the dealer.

Next up was a 2014 ES350. Figured this would be fine since I know the 2016 works. Car was nice, but felt cheap compared to the GS. Great MPG drove about 120 miles. Through traffic uphill, then on to the freeway and headed out of town to Primm (state-line) then back. About 2 hours in the car. Got 33mpg. Seats were better but still hurt by back. Couldn't figure it out. Got back to the dealer and hopped in an ES on the showroom floor. Seats were really comfortable.

What I figured out is that the seats in the GS and RX are too short. The upper portion hits me in the shoulder blades and because of the contour, forces my shoulders forward. But that is not the case in the ES. They are about 2-3 inches taller. But I guess there was a change in the 2016 seats so they are flatter in the upper portion.

So I am kind of screwed at this point. They have a used 2016 ES that was a loaner but it is $39K so I would need to come up with an additional $10K. The other option I was given was to do a 3 year lease to own on a new or the used 2016. Not sure I want to be the one to take the depreciation hit on a new car.

What I really want to do is get the GS and see if someone with a 2016 ES would trade seats for the 18 way seats in the GS.

Why did I buy a Lexus???
Old 09-20-16, 08:55 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchey
So I test drove a couple of vehicles today in hopes of trading my RX in. First one out was a 2013 GS350 with the 18 way adjustable seats. Went on an extended drive to make sure it would work. Absolutely love the car and the way it handles. It got better MPG than the RX450h but the seats were just as bad. Made it 10 miles before heading back to the dealer.

Next up was a 2014 ES350. Figured this would be fine since I know the 2016 works. Car was nice, but felt cheap compared to the GS. Great MPG drove about 120 miles. Through traffic uphill, then on to the freeway and headed out of town to Primm (state-line) then back. About 2 hours in the car. Got 33mpg. Seats were better but still hurt by back. Couldn't figure it out. Got back to the dealer and hopped in an ES on the showroom floor. Seats were really comfortable.

What I figured out is that the seats in the GS and RX are too short. The upper portion hits me in the shoulder blades and because of the contour, forces my shoulders forward. But that is not the case in the ES. They are about 2-3 inches taller. But I guess there was a change in the 2016 seats so they are flatter in the upper portion.

So I am kind of screwed at this point. They have a used 2016 ES that was a loaner but it is $39K so I would need to come up with an additional $10K. The other option I was given was to do a 3 year lease to own on a new or the used 2016. Not sure I want to be the one to take the depreciation hit on a new car.

What I really want to do is get the GS and see if someone with a 2016 ES would trade seats for the 18 way seats in the GS.

Why did I buy a Lexus???
If I may recommend trying out an Audi? I find my S4 seats to be more suitable for people of European descent.

Lumber support is way too low for me in the Lexus.
The Subaru WRX STi I had for 10 months suffered from the same issue. However, unlike Lexus, which seats I find very comfortable even on one-shot cross-country trips, I had to trade it in due to back problems.
I will also vouch for trying out a chiropractor. I was going to one on a regular basis when I had the STi. It wasn't the seats, though... just how raw that car was.
Old 09-20-16, 12:33 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

thats good that you were able to do these long test drives.

I didnt like the GS seats because they seemed more firm to me than the ES. Also, while they are "18 way" , the 2 piece lumbar adjustment didnt work well for me. There is supposed to be a GS option with an "articulating" back rest where the top part of the seat back can adjust to your upper back/shoulders - did you try that one?

Re getting a GS and putting in ES seats - you would have to see if the seat tracks are identical on the GS and ES before you could swap seats out.....

Why did I buy a Lexus???
Old 09-20-16, 10:03 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

I just ended up picking up a new ES tonight. I hope this solves the issue.

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
thats good that you were able to do these long test drives.

I didnt like the GS seats because they seemed more firm to me than the ES. Also, while they are "18 way" , the 2 piece lumbar adjustment didnt work well for me. There is supposed to be a GS option with an "articulating" back rest where the top part of the seat back can adjust to your upper back/shoulders - did you try that one?

Re getting a GS and putting in ES seats - you would have to see if the seat tracks are identical on the GS and ES before you could swap seats out.....
Old 09-21-16, 04:45 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on the ES, hopefully this will work out better for you..
Old 09-21-16, 05:37 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Good luck, mate! Hope this works out well for you.
Old 09-21-16, 09:11 AM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JT4
Congrats on the ES, hopefully this will work out better for you..
Originally Posted by vlad_a
Good luck, mate! Hope this works out well for you.
Thanks guys. I really hope so too. Way more that I ever planned on spending on a car.
Old 09-22-16, 01:53 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by vlad_a
It wasn't the seats, though... just how raw that car was.
Same with Mitsubishi Evo. My crowns rattle when I drive that car not to mention constant acid reflux during hard charging dashes from traffic light to traffic lights. I find the seats on those cars to be comfy, though......

Quick Reply: 3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)